New Nevada Law Banning "unfinished" Firearms is in Effect

xtry51

NES Member
This one totally blindsided me when I saw MrGunsngear post this video below.

Nevada has passed a law that bans unfinished firearms that is insanely broad and has no grandfather clauses. It is in effect now and I bet no one knows about it.

AB286

I have attached the PDF here.

You may not possess, transfer, sell, transport, etc any unserialized firearm and ONLY IMPORTERS OR FFL serialization are recognized as valid. You may not manufacture a firearm for personal use.

View: https://youtu.be/uHfpGY3FT30

Attachments

• AB286_EN(1).pdf
    316 KB · Views: 14
I had heard about it when it passed the legislature and was waiting on the Governors desk. It seemed like people were hopeful he wouldn’t sign it. But, seeing that he’s a democrat, I don’t know why people would be.

Listening to the FPC guy he stated that they also filed suit against Mass for their firearms roster. I hadn't heard that anywhere(?).

You may not manufacture a firearm for personal use
just curious - what is the exact language that prohibits that part? how can that be legal? it is an extremely broad statement, if you put it like that.

just curious - what is the exact language that prohibits that part? how can that be legal? it is an extremely broad statement, if you put it like that.

JFC. I linked everything. It's a 4pg pdf. Can't anyone read?

Sec. 4. 1. A person shall not manufacture or cause to be manufactured or assemble or cause to be assembled a firearm that is not imprinted with a serial number issued by a firearms importer or manufacturer in accordance with federal law and any regulations adopted thereunder unless the firearm: (a) Has been rendered permanently inoperable; (b) Is an antique firearm; or (c) Has been determined to be a collector’s item pursuant to 26

Sec. 4. 1. A person shall not manufacture or cause to be manufactured or assemble or cause to be assembled a firearm that is not imprinted with a serial number issued by a firearms importer or manufacturer in accordance with federal law and any regulations adopted thereunder unless the firearm: (a) Has been rendered permanently inoperable; (b) Is an antique firearm; or (c) Has been determined to be a collector’s item pursuant to 26
Calm down mommy.

A little worse than CA. In CA you go to the DOJ (of CA) and get a serial number assigned to your build and you have to engrave it. So you don't need a FFL, but you also don't pick your serial number, the state does.

All from Bloombergs playbook.

All that says is that you must serialize it. You are the manufacturer so you must serialize it.

How did this fly under the radar?
The Democratic majority in Nevada effectively snuck it in at the last minute. On the last day (April 9th) to move legislation out of committee, Democratic Chair Steve Yeager, after recessing the Judiciary committee from considering agendized bills, called the committee back to vote on the bill (AB 286), which had 18 pages of amendments that had not been made publicly available before. The bill was moved to the floor by a 9-6 party line vote. From their they rushed it through the assembly and passed it on April 20th. The Senate Judiciary Committee moved it to the Senate floor on May 12th and it was passed on May 21st. So they moved it through about as fast as they could to prevent folks from raising objections. This seems to be the Democratic’s new strategy, move controversial legislation through as fast as possible to present the public with a fait accompli, before any resistance can be organized.

All that says is that you must serialize it. You are the manufacturer so you must serialize it.
Respectfully disagree. They say it must be "imprinted with a serial number issued by a firearms importer or manufacturer”. A person doing a home build, according to the ATF, is not a manufacturer. If you were, you’d need an 07 FFL.

Respectfully disagree. They say it must be "imprinted with a serial number issued by a firearms importer or manufacturer”. A person doing a home build, according to the ATF, is not a manufacturer. If you were, you’d need an 07 FFL.
Well I respectfully disagree with you lol. According to the ATF I’m the manufacturer for all my form1 SBR’s. And I’m certainly not a 07FFL.
According to the ATF’ “Federal gun manufacturing laws apply to persons engaged in the assembly of guns for profit and livelihood (ATF Rul.2010-10;Revenue Ruling 55-342) .”

Last edited:
The Democratic majority in Nevada effectively snuck it in at the last minute. On the last day (April 9th) to move legislation out of committee, Democratic Chair Steve Yeager, after recessing the Judiciary committee from considering agendized bills, called the committee back to vote on the bill (AB 286), which had 18 pages of amendments that had not been made publicly available before. The bill was moved to the floor by a 9-6 party line vote. From their they rushed it through the assembly and passed it on April 20th. The Senate Judiciary Committee moved it to the Senate floor on May 12th and it was passed on May 21st. So they moved it through about as fast as they could to prevent folks from raising objections. This seems to be the Democratic’s new strategy, move controversial legislation through as fast as possible to present the public with a fait accompli, before any resistance can be organized.
As of Tuesday, 6/8, if you own a receiver in Nevada, it supposedly is illegal to use it to build a firearm. If you have a receiver or a firearm you completed using such a receiver, you have until 1/1/2022 to destroy or surrender it.

FPC breaks Palmer down to a 2nd and 14th Amendment claim and a takings claim in their complaint.

The guy in the video, Bill Sack, is listed as one of the FPC attorneys on the complaint.

Well I respectfully disagree with you lol. According to the ATF I’m the manufacturer for all my form1 SBR’s. And I’m certainly not a 07FFL.
According to the ATF’ “Federal gun manufacturing laws apply to persons engaged in the assembly of guns for profit and livelihood (ATF Rul.2010-10;Revenue Ruling 55-342) .”
I think that’s my point. To be an actual manufacturer you must be engaged in the assembly of guns for profit and livelihood. Building one for yourself is neither.

I’m pretty sure the Nevada law uses the more restrictive definition of a “manufacturer”.

Of course this only applies to guns built on “80%” lowers, since stripped lowers already have a serial number.

ETA I think the key part of the law reads:
A person shall not manufacture or cause to be manufactured or assemble or cause to be assembled a firearm that is not imprinted with a serial number issued by a firearms importer or manufacturer in accordance with federal law.

It’s the “in accordance with federal law” part that makes me think it has to be serialized by a federally licensed importer or manufacturer.

Last edited:
As of Tuesday, 6/8, if you own a receiver in Nevada, it supposedly is illegal to use it to build a firearm. If you have a receiver or a firearm you completed using such a receiver, you have until 1/1/2022 to destroy or surrender it.

FPC breaks Palmer down to a 2nd and 14th Amendment claim and a takings claim in their complaint.

The guy in the video, Bill Sack, is listed as one of the FPC attorneys on the complaint.
I think a stripped receiver is still OK. It’s only an unserialized “80%” that’s now illegal.

Yeah I mean I'm a manufacturer if I'm making it... am I not? Isn't that kinda the definition of manufacturing?

Back
Top Bottom