New Nevada Law Banning "unfinished" Firearms is in Effect

Yeah I mean I'm a manufacturer if I'm making it... am I not? Isn't that kinda the definition of manufacturing?
Might be the definition of manufacturing, but the definition of “manufacturer” from the Oxford English Dictionary is:

"a person or company that makes goods for sale"

Which is pretty much the same as the ATF’s "for profit and livelihood”. If you are making it for yourself, you might be manufacturing it, but you are not a manufacturer.

Might be the definition of manufacturing, but the definition of “manufacturer” from the Oxford English Dictionary is:

"a person or company that makes goods for sale"

Which is pretty much the same as the ATF’s "for profit and livelihood”. If you are making it for yourself, you might be manufacturing it, but you are not a manufacturer.
Yeah but legal cases have been won on dumber things.

Well I respectfully disagree with you lol. According to the ATF I’m the manufacturer for all my form1 SBR’s. And I’m certainly not a 07FFL.
According to the ATF’ “Federal gun manufacturing laws apply to persons engaged in the assembly of guns for profit and livelihood (ATF Rul.2010-10;Revenue Ruling 55-342) .”

Correct. And the NV law says the serial number must be issued in accordance with federal law by an importer (which you are not) or a manufacturer, which as you just showed, you also are not, according to federal law.

Correct. And the NV law says the serial number must be issued in accordance with federal law by an importer (which you are not) or a manufacturer, which as you just showed, you also are not, according to federal law.
I definitely didn’t show that you are not a manufacturer. On the contrary, I’m clearly stating that you are the manufacturer however you are not obligated to follow federal gun manufacturing laws since you are not manufacturing for profit or livelihood.
Who is the manufacturer for form1 sbr’s or suppressors?

Yeah I mean I'm a manufacturer if I'm making it... am I not? Isn't that kinda the definition of manufacturing?
In short, no. The ATF distinguishes between "manufacturing" and "making."

27 CFR § 478.11 offers definitions
Manufacturer. Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition. The term shall include any person who engages in such business on a part-time basis.
Engaged in the business - (a) Manufacturer of firearms. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the firearms manufactured;
Building firearms for personal use is definitionally not manufacturing.

Another way to look at it is to ask "what other thing do you make at home, for your own enjoyment, that you would say you 'manufactured'?" If you knit an occasional sweater, would you refer to it that way? How about if you assembled a bicycle? If you built a guitar, did you "manufacture" it?

No. You're not a factory. You're not producing at volume, in celebration of glorious Capitalism. You're amusing yourself with the hobby of making, and enjoying human Liberty. The same is true with home-built firearms. Because: 'Merica!

So is there a business opportunity for an enterprising 07 in Nevada to "finish" receivers and apply a number (i.e. the thing "finishing" them), for a small fee?

So is there a business opportunity for an enterprising 07 in Nevada to "finish" receivers and apply a number (i.e. the thing "finishing" them), for a small fee?
Maybe in the short term. Continuing on we have to wonder, what's the value add?

There seem to be two main groups into finishing 80s: folks who specifically want unserialized firearms, and folks who specifically enjoy the act of building. The latter can as easily buy either stripped 100s or serialized 80s; the former sound as likely as not to start quoting Dr. King/St. Augustine: “an unjust law is no law at all.”

Finally got a chance to read the bill itself, from section 6, definition of terms:

5.“Firearms importer or manufacturer” means a person licensed to import or manufacture firearms pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44.

No ambiguity about you being a “manufacturer” if you are building your own gun.

So an interesting part of this law is 3(b), saying that it is ok to have an unfinished frame or receiver if:

The unfinished frame or receiver is required by federal law to be imprinted with a serial number issued by a firearms importer or manufacturer and the unfinished frame or receiver has been imprinted with the serial number. (bolding added by me)

This is obviously to prevent the 80% manufacturers from just adding a serial number to their lowers. Under the current ATF regs, a manufacturer could add a serial number to an “80%” lower and it would not be a firearm, it would not need to go through an FFL and have a 4473 trail and the seller would not have to maintain a record of who they sold it to. The clever little addition of “required by federal law” prevents them (the 80% manufacturers) from just adding the serialization, since they are not yet required to do it by federal law. So, until the new ATF regs are approved that will make an 80% lower a receiver and require them to be serialized, just having a serialized 80% lower will still not be enough to allow one to own an 80% frame/lower.

It's unfortunate that the anti’s are getting more and more familiar with actual firearms and firearm laws. Just a short time ago they never would have thought of the 80% manufacturers just serializing their product and then never tracking who it was sold to.

It's unfortunate that the anti’s are getting more and more familiar with actual firearms and firearm laws. Just a short time ago they never would have thought of the 80% manufacturers just serializing their product and then never tracking who it was sold to.
Did some 100% manufacturer pay their corporate counsel to advise the Donks
on how to structure the law to screw the kit boys?

I feel like this would fail because once you take and finish the lower they now need to go through the process as if they bought it at an FFL. So now it's on a 4473, if the state requires registration it's now on that list, etc. For many the whole point of doing this themselves is having a gun that has no numbers, and the government has no idea about.

In short, no. The ATF distinguishes between "manufacturing" and "making."

27 CFR § 478.11 offers definitions

Building firearms for personal use is definitionally not manufacturing.

Another way to look at it is to ask "what other thing do you make at home, for your own enjoyment, that you would say you 'manufactured'?" If you knit an occasional sweater, would you refer to it that way? How about if you assembled a bicycle? If you built a guitar, did you "manufacture" it?

No. You're not a factory. You're not producing at volume, in celebration of glorious Capitalism. You're amusing yourself with the hobby of making, and enjoying human Liberty. The same is true with home-built firearms. Because: 'Merica!
Exactly this. They are very clear on whom they consider to be in the business as a manufacturer and have ruled on this in the past as well.

Back
Top Bottom