New NES Member from Chelmsford

vicorjh

NES Member
Hello NES,

I'm happy to say that I've joined the NES community.

I moved to MA about 15 years ago from the midwest and have been lurking this forum for the past year or so. Needless to say, I was impressed with the discourse in the threads. Great stuff.

Wife and I finally got around to applying for our MA LTCs (I mean really, it only took us 15 years).

I don't think I have to say but there certainly is an interesting licensing process here in MA. With an overabundance of caution, we hired an attorney (Jason Guida) to help us through and to submit the paperwork. Wife had her LTC-A w/no restrictions in 22 days. Took mine a bit longer (perhaps because my background is clear but not necessarily "clean") at 37 days LTC-A w/no restrictions. With all of the holidays in between, the turn around time by Chelmsford PD (Offc. Bellissimo) was amazing based on some of the reading about delays and such in MA. I attribute that in part to Jason's experience and wording on the statement addendum.

The funny thing is, even though it took us fifteen years to apply, I feel more free and perhaps have a greater sense of responsibility to the community. Funny that.

I'm looking forward to contributing to the NES community. Thanks all...

Best,

vicorjh

Welcome, and congratulations on both of you getting LTC. Now, check out clubs in the area that has something you both are looking for and join and enjoy!

Thanks Magg.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Sharona.

Thanks grizquad. Yes, looking at Woburn Sportsman Association since a friend is a member. Would like to look into longer ranges if there is anything nearby, perhaps Nashua...

Last edited:
Welcome, I am in Chelmsford as well as many others on here.

Welcome to NES . There's lots of decent local clubs if you're looking to join up somewhere and do some shooting.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Sharona, I'll take a look at the Westford club as well.

Westford is a good club I (used to) belong there. Westford is more of a "sportsman's" club though IMHO. If you're looking for a "gun" club - check out Harvard.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Thanks calsdad, Harvard looks like a nice club, nearby too. Good tip.

Thanks ColdDayInHell, Kicker96FS, bobank, boxerjack77, edmxz2002.

Hope to see the jron and the Chelmsford folk at the range...

Best,

vicorjh

Westford is a good club I (used to) belong there. Westford is more of a "sportsman's" club though IMHO. If you're looking for a "gun" club - check out Harvard.

I am a member of both. They both are great clubs and have their strengths and weaknesses. If you are interested in trap or sporting clays, or want to fish in a stocked pond Westford is for you. If you are interested in 200/300 yard rifle or want to practice by yourself in an action pit Harvard is for you.

I am a member of both. They both are great clubs and have their strengths and weaknesses. If you are interested in trap or sporting clays, or want to fish in a stocked pond Westford is for you. If you are interested in 200/300 yard rifle or want to practice by yourself in an action pit Harvard is for you.

This. Also, Welcome!

Welcome, I've been living in MA for a little over 3 years, and if it wasn't for the wealth of information on this site I'd be lost in exercising my rights and most expensive hobby. Enjoy the stay.

Thanks eisenhow, gearwhore14. Harvard sounds like a great club. My wife and I might try make one of the Sunday breakfast events. Or, one of the scheduled events to observe and meet the folk. Thanks for the tip.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks wegman, Stiglitz. Absolutely a treasure trove on information here...

Welcome and congrats to you and your wife on the LTC's. Fasten your seat belt and join the NES debate team. Just kidding. There's a great bunch of guys here.

OP and the other Chelmsford folks, does the COP not like to issue no restrictions or was the lawyer just to be extra safe?

OP and the other Chelmsford folks, does the COP not like to issue no restrictions or was the lawyer just to be extra safe?

Chelmsford, from the stats, looks green.

For the attorney, I had some past infractions that I wanted him to assess and, if needed, address. More than anything, we were being cautious since MA can seemingly use any reason to restrict or reject. I'd rather get it right the first time around instead of having to appeal a rejection or restriction.

And besides, I figure it would be good to establish a relationship with a knowledgeable firearms attorney. That is, he'd know us in the event something "bad" happens and we need his help, God forbid. You know, crime (assaults) happens. Accidents happen. Things happen. Best to have something of a support network in place ahead of time. It takes a little bit of extra time and effort but it's cheap insurance, really. He did a great job for us.

The Chelmsford PD was excellent, no issues whatsoever. They had us scheduled for the prints and photos the day the applications were dropped off. Don't be afraid of them, very friendly and straightforward.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks M60, Turbo MZ3! Glad to be here.

Last edited:
Welcome - I'm in Dracut just across the river. I shoot at the Centralville Sportsmens Club - its a fudd club indeed but the indoor range is decent

Back
Top Bottom