I don't follow NASCAR or any other type of racing. :)

If you had stated it as you later stated it, I would not have edited your post. Sorry, but when an accusation is posted with no substantiation, it could lead to trouble and the Mods are here to make sure we don't buy any unnecessary grief. Better to err on the side of caution . . .

The main reason that I can't root for little Jeffy is taht I can't stand it when ANYBODY stinks up the show....and for a while there, he was doing just that. I hate it when guys get streaky and win everything. That's one reason why I've always been a Martin fan, he's the Eeyore of NASCAR.

Here's what else I think...submitted for your approval.

*Rusty is a crybaby. As is Nemechek and Johnson.
*Newman should should find a series that runs 1 lap races.
*Stewart, Biffle, KBusch and Harvick are all jerks...and I wouldn't have it any other way, I love those guys.
*JGordon is awesome, and I'll start rooting for him when he's the underdog.
*Both LaBonte's bore me silly. Yell, spit, swear, laugh... something, geez.
*The King is overrated, it was a different time. With the equipment and money he had compared to the rest of the field, of course he won everything.
*It's a big mistake for a cup driver to own a cup team, although it can be done in NBS.
*Multi-car teams should have a testing handicap imposed to "even it up" some.
*Knock the spoiler down, and get rid of the stupid restrictor plate.
*No "Lucky Dog". You went a lap down on your own, now go earn it back.
*NASCAR is destroying itself with cash.

I agree with a lot of that. However, the lucky dog rule was borne out of safety so they wouldn't be racing to the yellow when there's twisted metal already on the track and safety crews couldn't get out.

Yeah, tthe restrictor plates seriously need to be gone. There's better ways to limit the speeds, than using wreckstrictor plates.

The "Lucky Dog" could go, just as long as they retain "no racing to the yellow flag", which is , of course, the reason for the "Lucky Dog".

I'll never root for Gordon, but, I've got to say, the boy can drive. I just think he's in the wrong venue.

NASCAR tends to think they're GOD. They need to learn that the GODS are the FANS.

No FANS, no money, no NASCAR.

However, the lucky dog rule was borne out of safety so they wouldn't be racing to the yellow when there's twisted metal already on the track and safety crews couldn't get out.

I hear what you're sayin' but I have to disagree. In the history of NASCAR, how many injuries have been caused by racing back to the caution in the modern (safety) era? Exactly none. We (americans) have become obsessed with safety to the point of emasculation. The drivers know there are risks, I have done some small time racing, and I'm here to tell you this: Not a single driver would quit if they changed that rule back. Earnhardt knew that he wasn't safe out there, and you know what? He died doing what he loved. He took big, greedy handfuls of life and let the juice run down his chin! How many of us will ever live that much?
Safety is great, witness roll cages, break resistant windshields, fuel cells, 5-point restraints, driver activated halon extinguishers, hans devices, firesuits etc etc. I applaud NASCAR's safety initiatives, but seriously, we're MEN aren't we? I don't want EVERYTHING to be COMPLETELY safe. What's next? Green flag speed limits? No passing? (that's when alot of wrecks happen) Anti-lock brakes? Traction control? How about ditchin' that bad ol' flammable gasoline in favor of electric power, that's safe, and environmentally friendly, too!
Like I said, how many injuries have been caused by racing back to the caution in the modern (safety) era? Exactly none. I say that NASCAR was "safe enough" for men.
Rant over. Please discuss. :D

Oh, I'm not the one talking safety, I'm just repeating NASCAR's own words. I agree with you, pretty much. Truth is, I have seen wrecks happen when "racing to the yellow", though no serious injuries. I CAN live with the wrecks, but like you, I don't like the "Lucky Dog" scenario.

And I don't like "wreckstrictor" plates, either. Seems they get more wrecks, due to everybody bunched up. Not good racing at all, when they're all bunched up.

There have been several wrecks by racing to the yellow. However, the biggest part of the rule gets everyone slowed down much quicker. It's purpose is to get the safety crews out to the original wreck quicker. I've done a little racing myself and I would imagine all the drivers are for getting that crew out there to extinguish fire, render aid, etc. and not really worried about who's racing to the yellow.

I think it's one of the more intelligent rules they've put in place.

And I don't like "wreckstrictor" plates, either. Seems they get more wrecks, due to everybody bunched up. Not good racing at all, when they're all bunched up.

Preach on brother Nickle!
The restrictor plate is by far the dumbest way to achieve the stated goal of "slowing the cars down". Check the recent speeds at Atlanta, Pocono and Michigan, guys! Ask the drivers what tracks scare them, (almost)universally answered thusly: "Daytona and Tallegega". Here's NASCAR's recipe for tearing up a bazillion $'s worth of equipment and NEEDLESSLY putting drivers at INCREASED risk: 43 cars going 190+mph, inches away from each other in the draft, for 3+ hours. Hell, I can't do anything for 3 hours without screwin up some. Makes for great action/publicity photos, and lousy racing. Consider the past dozen Daytona 500's, can you say "snoozefest"? The restrictor plate races aren't about skill, strategy or horsepower; they're all about who is where, at what key moment, and who's working with (or against) you. BAH! That aint racin' like it oughta be! I submit that they should significantly chop down the spoiler and raise the front valance about 2". That would make the cars unstable enough so that the drivers would HAVE to slow down and DRIVE the cars rather than just aim them down the track with fingers crossed. I say let the drivers drive, let's shift more of the equation away from the car and back to the wheelman! Check out the old races with the 165mph, aero bricks they ran in the 70's and tell me that wasn't great racin'! Those boys had to DRIVE those damn things!

As for the "freezing of the field at the moment of caution", here's something else to consider; it handicaps the more conservative/experienced/cautious drivers...let me explain. OLD WAY=Those guys will typically hold back some and just save their stuff for the end of the race, runnin' a smart race, right? Okay, now the caution comes out and they have say, a mile to try to pick off a couple of the slower cars they've been workin' on. That's a realtively short window of incentive to "push it". The way things are now, the field can be "frozen" at any time, so now (especially if your car is "off") the incentive is to push constantly for every position. I think that definitely plays a part in all the recent wrecks caused by simple "impatience" and a general unwillingness to drive conservatively. What do ya'll think?

9 to 1 compression limit would work better than the wreckstrictor plate. If you think it'll hurt racing, you better quit watching Busch, since they're all 9 to 1, IIRC.

I still say freeze it and get the safety crews out to wreck as quick as possible. I also say, stop holding back. Either race it or park it and let me drive.

Restrictor plates are dangerous. I don't think chopping the spoiler is the answer. They did that across the board this year and it's caused all sorts of problems (and wrecks) because of no down force.

Earnhardt was the best at plate racing and also the biggest proponent for getting rid of them.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the debate of racing back to the caution. I still only see a perceived, rather than an actual safety concern.

I can't go for blaming the car when you wreck it. My passenger car will go 125mph, but I wouldn't try it on a highway on-ramp, it's called "knowing the capabilities of the machine." And if I did try it, I would know better than to use that excuse on my car owner (my wife). [wink]

I don't think chopping the spoiler is the answer. They did that across the board this year and it's caused all sorts of problems (and wrecks) because of no down force.
Lack of spoiler didn't cause any wrecks. I don't have a spoiler on my car, and I'll wager you don't either. I don't hit guardrails on corners, and I'll bet you don't either. You know why as well as I do: speed. The racer that get loose in the turns "because of less downforce" just needs to slightly lift up a bit on the gas pedal. That's what the other 42 guys did. Rally and GP racers are forced to learn throttle control, it's also what the NASCAR boys that are any good at the road courses must master.
As far as the 9:1 compression argument goes, I have to say this: aero is becoming more and more important to NBS teams, too. Haven't you noticed that some of their lap times actually EXCEED that of their Cup brethren at certain tracks? Their cars are getting more slippery, faster and more dangerous just like the Cup cars as more money comes into the series. The best solution (like truth) probably lies somewhere in the middle; lower compression AND less downforce.

At any rate, I think one thing we all can agree on is this:
NASCAR is just like America; they're both flawed, but it's the best show in town! See ya'll at the track, boys!

You're right, the Busch guys have faster lap times at certain tracks because they have more spoiler. I found that ironic.

I'm still for getting the safety crews out as fast as possible. As far as how to fix the rest? No clue, I ain't no engun-ear. [wink]

Thinking about it, some of the lower classes (and possibly/probably not NASCAR) have "Spec tires". They actually specify what tires you may run on the car. This keeps costs down and works better than "claimer" rules, since you can only go as fast as the tires will let you, regardless what's under the hood.

Personally, I prefer AMA SuperSport and SuperBike, but haven't been to a race in over 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom