• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New member with a question on the P320 issue

CosmoKramer

NES Member
Hi. I'm a new member and new shooter with a concern about the Sig Sauer P320 issue of this handgun firing on it's own. Of course, the first new gun I purchased was a Sig P320 Legion. I've had it for a few weeks and the news came out on TV. Anybody have some info on this to calm me down a bit. I shot 30 rounds for the first time Sunday with one issue of the slide not locking back after the last round fired from the magazine. That happened with the 2nd and 3rd magazine, not the first. Other than that , it's a beautiful handgun. Heavy and accurate. I just don't want any surprises some day.

I'm going to the Sig Academy on November 24 for a handgun class, so I'll be asking a lot of questions there, that's for sure. But I'd like some unbiased opinions. Thanks all.

It's likely you're fine. They fixed the drop fire issue quite some time ago, before they released a Legion model for the 320 if I recall.

The slide not locking back is likely to do with your grip. Check how you're holding the gun: is your thumb resting on or hovering near the slide lock?

P320 Voluntary Upgrade Program | Sig Sauer

Just use care holstering and drawing. Things like your shirt getting bunched up over the top edge of the holster and snagging the trigger on the way in, or sticking your finger in the trigger guard before your on the target.

Gun might just need to be run a bit. Break in type of thing. Maybe put a piece of masking tape on the baseplate of each mag and number them. Help you figure out whether its a particular mag or something else.

Don’t handle the gun if you are nervous and need to be calmed down that’s for sure. Most accidents with guns are the fault of the shooter not knowing what they are doing not a defect in the gun. Including guns that have call backs and voluntary upgrades, When you do handle it use snap caps. Don’t be in a rush to shoot a gun you are unsure about.

If you are brand new and have no one to teach you, look for a 22lr revolver. And watch lots of Paul Harrell.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N1tfsASA4Ps

My gf had the same issue with the slide not locking back after the last round on my legion last night. Functioned fine every time I fired it though. Must have been her grip since I only brought 1 mag with me.

My gf had the same issue with the slide not locking back after the last round on my legion last night. Functioned fine every time I fired it though. Must have been her grip since I only brought 1 mag with me.

Certain guns I have this issue with. I have to be aware of my firing hand thumb and make sure to keep it away from the slide lock.

It could be a magazine follower issue, but if it's inconsistent and doesn't happen when you're shooting it, then I would check her grip.

If you have any question about whether or not you P320 still needs the upgrade, SIG has a page where you can check its status by serial number:

P320 Upgrade Registration

As far as the slide lock issue, I know I have a thumbs forward grip that will cause me to ride the slide lock on just about any semi-auto handgun if I’m not careful. If your don’t have really strong magazine springs it doesn't take much to keep the slide lock from engaging.

There is a very large lawsuit going on. I would err on the side if caution if you plan on CC’ing. The 320 has had issue even after the upgrade. Sounds like therr is potential that the internal sear block can slip. I own a 320 and will not carry until things are settled. Video for reference, and when you click the video description, there is a copy of the lawsuit and all the cases of discharge.

View: https://youtu.be/-SBpZBs3foA

So with the case in NH, it was easily replicated, right? Just buy another holster the same, put the gun in, repeat the motion, and bang? Has anything but the drop test firing been verified, or are we still pretending that people don't make mistakes, shirt tails get caught in trigger guards, etc?

I mean, how many cops have had Glocks mysteriously go off on their own?

Thanks for all the replies. I took my 320 to the range again , marked three mags to see if it was a mag issue and had no problem with it not locking the slide this time. Pretty sure it wasn't my thumb the first time, since I didn't adjust my grip at all. So now it's just the "firing on it's own" issue I have to be aware of. Which is a big issue. I want to say it's human error, but I'll never carry that size gun anyway. I'm taking the P320 Legion to the second handgun class at Sig Academy next week. We're shooting 250 rounds and using a holster for the first time so I should have a good idea how the gun responds. If you all don't hear from me again, I guess it is a big issue ! And Realtor MA, you can claim the gun at that time.

Just for jollies Google “Glock accidental discharge lawsuit” sometime. Seems lots of LEOs like to sue the gun manufacturer when they have an ND.

So with the case in NH, it was easily replicated, right? Just buy another holster the same, put the gun in, repeat the motion, and bang? Has anything but the drop test firing been verified, or are we still pretending that people don't make mistakes, shirt tails get caught in trigger guards, etc?

I mean, how many cops have had Glocks mysteriously go off on their own?
How many blocks went off taking the slide off?

If you are afraid of the gun and it really has known issues (I never really read about the issues since I don't plan on owning one) contact SIG and see what options you have.

NH9hZDu (1).png

PS: I dont believe any police officer that says "the gun went off without touching the trigger".... suuuuure.

I have a Sig brand P250 kydex holster, this is the one that came with the P320 that I have. I'm assuming this is the same one that "caused the P320" to go off in the holster? It doesn't touch the trigger at all, I don't see any way it could make the gun go off, and I've holstered mine well over a hundred times without it going off. I don't have the voluntary trigger upgrade either. Still hasn't gone off on me.

I have a Sig brand P250 kydex holster, this is the one that came with the P320 that I have. I'm assuming this is the same one that "caused the P320" to go off in the holster? It doesn't touch the trigger at all, I don't see any way it could make the gun go off, and I've holstered mine well over a hundred times without it going off. I don't have the voluntary trigger upgrade either. Still hasn't gone off on me.
Internal sear block potentially slips causing discharge due to incorrect milling in its fabrication.

While I'm curious how the gun is bypassing the firing pin block, if you can't trust it, you don't want to be carrying it.

It is not bypassing the firing pin block so much as it is susceptible to firing unintentionally if dropped from a sufficient height at just the correct orientation so that the trigger moves to the rear due to the weight of the trigger combined with the inertial force of the drop.

I have the P320CRX, pre upgrade and have no intention of sending it back. It is extremely accurate which appeals highly to me and the club I belong to has IDPA matches which intrigues me a bit. I think this might be the perfect ticket for that.

I might end up selling or trading it and I might keep it. If I'm not talked into letting it go I'll just keep it.

Right, the drop thing makes sense. But some people are alleging that it also goes off in the holster without anyone touching it or it being dropped.

Right, the drop thing makes sense. But some people are alleging that it also goes off in the holster without anyone touching it or it being dropped.

A proper slap with enough force on the slide butt plate would do it too back when this was first discovered, so theoretically one could have a holstered P320 and have it discharge in the holster if something hit it in that area with significant force. People were showing this off by hitting stationary P320's with mallets to get them to discharge. Force is force, whether that means the P320 moves to the stationary object (ground) or the object moves towards the stationary P320.

It is not bypassing the firing pin block so much as it is susceptible to firing unintentionally if dropped from a sufficient height at just the correct orientation so that the trigger moves to the rear due to the weight of the trigger combined with the inertial force of the drop.

I have the P320CRX, pre upgrade and have no intention of sending it back. It is extremely accurate which appeals highly to me and the club I belong to has IDPA matches which intrigues me a bit. I think this might be the perfect ticket for that.

I might end up selling or trading it and I might keep it. If I'm not talked into letting it go I'll just keep it.
This is not the current problem.

The 320 is becoming well noted for discharging without being dropped. This is the second major issue with this model.

But it begs the question . . . did the fix for the first problem enable the second problem?
I can understand the drop problem. While someone wasn't squeezing the trigger, it was actuating and therefore bypassing the firing pin block. Objects in motion want to stay in motion and the trigger was heavy enough to continue traveling when the frame of the gun stopped.

This new problem apparently bypasses the FPB, I'm not sure how, it shouldn't be possible. If the trigger isn't actuating, and the gun is still firing, that means that the FPB either doesn't work, or is actuating out of the way. I find it unlikely the trigger is being fully depressed while holstered.

**Edit** Looking at it, I notice there isn't a FPB like a glock would have, it's a safety catch on the firing pin that rotates out of the way. It looks like safety catch is always engaged with the trigger, so if its out of spec, or the trigger bit is out of spec, or if you get smeg up in there it's going to ride high and not function. Given some of the other spec issues, I'm wondering if Sig's got a shitty manufacturing process on some of these.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom