New Member Saved by NES

If you do decide to buy something on line, my opinion (for what it's worth) is to buy via GunBroker, from a seller with a significant number of positive ratings, no negatives. And you'll have to have it shipped to a local FFL.

I've bought a couple of guns from GB and had them shipped to FFL's I had done business with here in MA. Normally it's not the cheapest route to go, but in these times when it's hard to find things it can be a good option. I live on the northshore or I'd point you to shops I use.
Good luck!
Thanks, I think I need to handle/shoot one first.

OP, I’d suggest taking the advice of some of the seasoned members here and avoid the gun. Or, you can get your experience like many of us did & buy the first of probably several wrong guns because we did the research and knew what we were doing...

Best thing you can do is get one in hand and try it out. You may never even fire it if you don't like how it handles. Everyone's advice is important but you're the only one that can make that determination. Take up ablediver on his offer and what do you have to lose? Couple of bucks on ammo?
Good advice, thanks

OP, don’t get too hung up on your first. I researched everything and watched too many YouTube videos to count before buying my first; a VP9
It checked all the boxes. Fully ambi, 3 back strap and grip inserts for a super-d-duper custom fit, polygonal rifling, great trigger, reputable company, and in midnight bronze it was sexy to boot!

I wanted to, but never fell in love. After thousands of rounds it just didn’t feel right and I couldn’t seem to shoot it as accurately as I wanted to.
I Picked up a used gen 3 G19 on a whim. I’ll be the first to tell you it’s an ugly brick of a gun and I’m not overly fond of it. However, it feels better in the hand and I shoot it far more accurately than the VP9. Plus, prebans.
I traded the VP9 for ammo almost a year ago and never looked back. I wasted too much time trying to convince myself it was supposed to be Goldilocks.

Don’t be overly concerned with finding Goldilocks right now. Just start buying, trying, and shooting as often as possible. She’ll turn up eventually.

Also, another plug for the 365 or 365xl. I went in looking for a Mossberg MC and walked out with the Sig. again, wasted time.

Thanks, I know the 320 replaced the 250, so that might be my best option. I'm just concerned about the drop issue with the striker-fired Sigs vs the hammer-fired ones in DOA.
Don't worry about the p320 discharging on its own, it's impossible. As long as you don't pull the trigger, touch it, look at it funny, sneeze or fart near it, it won't discharge.

OP, don’t get too hung up on your first. I researched everything and watched too many YouTube videos to count before buying my first; a VP9
It checked all the boxes. Fully ambi, 3 back strap and grip inserts for a super-d-duper custom fit, polygonal rifling, great trigger, reputable company, and in midnight bronze it was sexy to boot!

I wanted to, but never fell in love. After thousands of rounds it just didn’t feel right and I couldn’t seem to shoot it as accurately as I wanted to.
I Picked up a used gen 3 G19 on a whim. I’ll be the first to tell you it’s an ugly brick of a gun and I’m not overly fond of it. However, it feels better in the hand and I shoot it far more accurately than the VP9. Plus, prebans.
I traded the VP9 for ammo almost a year ago and never looked back. I wasted too much time trying to convince myself it was supposed to be Goldilocks.

Don’t be overly concerned with finding Goldilocks right now. Just start buying, trying, and shooting as often as possible. She’ll turn up eventually.

Also, another plug for the 365 or 365xl. I went in looking for a Mossberg MC and walked out with the Sig. again, wasted time.
This. On top of everything g else, are you sure you want your first gun to be a discontinued model? At least if you buy something current you can sell/trade it if it turns out you don’t like it. Good luck doing that w a discontinued gun, particularly that one.

I too fell in love w the VP9 the first time I held it. Around the same time, a friend bought one when it was the latest greatest must have gun. Every time I have shot it since it’s like “meh”. Not awful but sure as hell not worth the money to me although I get why others love it. A VP9 is easy to get rid of.

Last edited:
Good points, adapt and learn and sometimes you move on. Personally I bought one handgun and carry it, love it but I'm not adverse to finding something better.

do you mind sharing what it is?

M&P 380 Shield EZ, tried almost every gun in the shop and this one just fit right. I think the OP was looking for a 9mm though.

more practical than my choice. I love my Berretta 92FS now but I brought it home with no holster or bedside safe and no real ability to confidently manage the long trigger pull. I quickly realized I needed another gun. I bought my carry gun from a NESer the next morning.

more practical than my choice. I love my Berretta 92FS now but I brought it home with no holster or bedside safe and no real ability to confidently manage the long trigger pull. I quickly realized I needed another gun. I bought my carry gun from a NESer the next morning.

That's a nice one, you bring up a few good points. I wasn't sure how soon I'd start carrying, turns out less than two weeks (waiting for a holster). Bought the safe at the same time so I was covered there. The trigger on this is so nice, I think I was pretty fortunate to start with this pistol.

Food for thought, I didn't do my research before hand and didn't know about the stovepiping issue that the Ez's had. Turns out it only happened once on the first mag I shot with it, probably poor grip. Some people had/have a terrible time with that, so the EZ gets poor reviews. I have five mags that appear to have no issues and I've put 300 rounds through it since that first failure.

So to the OP, research is good, reading is good, but not much beats getting one in person. I think there's at least two offer's above for a personal demo no strings attached, I'd jump at that chance. Bring the ammo and a cleaning kit too since you have the chance to do everything prior to buying it.

That's a nice one, you bring up a few good points. I wasn't sure how soon I'd start carrying, turns out less than two weeks (waiting for a holster). Bought the safe at the same time so I was covered there. The trigger on this is so nice, I think I was pretty fortunate to start with this pistol.

Food for thought, I didn't do my research before hand and didn't know about the stovepiping issue that the Ez's had. Turns out it only happened once on the first mag I shot with it, probably poor grip. Some people had/have a terrible time with that, so the EZ gets poor reviews. I have five mags that appear to have no issues and I've put 300 rounds through it since that first failure.

So to the OP, research is good, reading is good, but not much beats getting one in person. I think there's at least two offer's above for a personal demo no strings attached, I'd jump at that chance. Bring the ammo and a cleaning kit too since you have the chance to do everything prior to buying it.
Already making arrangements. Thank you all for your helpful comments

Thanks, the P365xl is also on my list. Seems just as hard to come by as the P250c.

I'd suggest the P365. It's accurate, well-made, the X-Ray sights are great, and Sig's worked out the hiccups that always occur with a lot of them when they're brand new. And the 365 had its share of them when it was new. Add a Romeo Zero and you can compensate for older vision. They're not that hard to find, especially on GB. Just understand that it's a seller's market in firearms at this time, the price may be affected by that.

Welcome to the party, OP.

A massive segment of the market is happy with either a P365 or Glock 19. Go to Mass Firearms and rent both along with anything else that strikes your fancy. One of them will probably speak to you, maybe even surprise you. If in doubt, buy both and sell the one you don't like as much for a hefty profit in one year. Then buy a second of your favorite since two is one and one is none.

Whatever you do, act now. It's not going to get any cheaper, easier, or less regulated to buy them.

Reactions: SDG
rental guns. the way to try many in one day. Mass Firearms in Holliston MA or Granite State in Hudson NH. When you actually shoot it you may find something better, or maybe not, won't know till you try.
This, how i ended up with my SW 4013 double stack. Yeah yeah its 40 . Honeslty i would have bought it no matter the cal . The fat grip does well by me and it points naturally in my hands. Cal choice was not a thought.

My wife and I recently got our Massachusetts LTC. I've since spent the time researching concealed carry/home defense options that are MA compliant.

I finally concluded (so I think) that the Sig P250c in 9mm was the right choice for me, although the closest I ever got to one was a picture online.

I started to call local firearms dealers without success, then switched to online sources like Armslist.com and Gunbroker.com. While there were a handful of weapons for sale, none were MA compliant.

I began to search the internet more broadly and to my surprise, came across exactly what I wanted. The website looked detailed and professional. I quickly added the gun to the shopping cart, but thought I should look into the company a little closer before I gave out my credit card number.

The Texas address they used had no street number and the P250c price was considerably lower than I'd seen anywhere else. I searched on the names they used gunsshoppers.com and Safer Heaven and came across a few blog posts on NES. Thankfully those blog posts saved me from doing something stupid!

Thank you NES!!

I have since spent a lot of time on the NES site reading helpful posts and lively debates on all sorts of topics. Of particular interest are the opposing opinions on the Sig P250.

I'm still interested in the P250c, but having never held or shot one makes my choice more difficult.

If any NEC members near Needham own a Sig P250c and would be willing to allow this newbie to
It’s got an awfully heavy trigger but other that that I don’t mind it. I’ve had mine for a few years and I bought it for cheap with the 9mm conversion kit including multiple mags for under $300 (pretty much the market value for it). As with all guns I buy, I just keep them and shoot the ones I hate the most.

It’s got an awfully heavy trigger but other that that I don’t mind it. I’ve had mine for a few years and I bought it for cheap with the 9mm conversion kit including multiple mags for under $300 (pretty much the market value for it). As with all guns I buy, I just keep them and shoot the ones I hate the most.
The normal P250 trigger is way lighter (like 8 lb DAO) but it still sucks.

Back
Top Bottom