New member in Fitchburg

Hi all,

I initially found this site when researching why I was having so much trouble getting an appointment to apply for an LTC in Fitchburg. I found a thread on this and posted a query, many members advised me to call Jen Flanagan the state senator for this region. I emailed her and within a few days had a call from the chiefs office and an appointment. Finally received my LTC-A no restrictions this past week and went green yesterday in gratitude for the help and encouragement I received on the forum.

Now that I actually have my permit, I can go about asking many questions about where I can rent handguns so my wife and I can see what is comfortable. Where there is a local firing range when we do get them...

Now that I actually have my permit, I can go about asking many questions about where I can rent handguns so my wife and I can see what is comfortable. Where there is a local firing range when we do get them...

MFL (Manchester Firing Line) is going to be the best option for a rental range. AFS and Bob's are both further away mileage wise. I am a member there (MFL) and I drive up there all the time from the Burg. If you have specific guns you are interested in, though, you might want to ask around in the members forum, someone might be willing to meet up with you to try something out, could save you a lot of rental fees.

-Mike

I am fairly simple, I carried the Beretta in the Army/AF Guard for 20+ years and am very comfortable with it so I would probably pick up a 92FS as my first weapon. My wife is who I am worried about, she has arthritis so I was thinking a smaller caliber with a lighter kick. Maybe a Lady Smith .38? Although she really liked the shotgun they passed around in our firearms class.

Welcome to NES, Sten, & thank you for your military service.

A light, snubnose .38 has quite a bit of recoil, which may not be comfortable for your wife if she has joint pain. She should try a few guns out, & pick one that's comfortable for her. Us womenfolk are good at shopping. Who knows...she may end up with a collection of guns for every occasion & outfit. (a little advice from a lady shooter) [wink]

I recently had the pleasure of trying a couple of Kahr 9mms subcompacts - the PM9 and the MK9. The PM9 is the more popular, it is the replacement for the MK9, but it is much lighter (polymer frame, as opposed to full steel), so it has more felt recoil. For being so small, I was surprised at how little recoil that MK9 had. I would recommend trying that. If size isn't an issue, most 9mm pistols would be worth trying (Glock 17 and 19 are popular choices). If she's just looking for a gun to have fun with at the range, a .22 is a good start - cheap to buy and feed, and barely any recoil.

Welcome sten. The Leominster Sportsmen Club is near Fitchburg. They are inexpensive and are open to the public on Sunday mornings from 9 - Noon. You can test out the range before you join. They don't offer as much as other clubs might.

Back
Top Bottom