• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Match Rifle for HP -

Ok, I know most will not be interested but I know a few of you will drool over this.

It's been a while since I have had a rifle set up exactly the way I want it. I'm getting ready to get back into this game hard-core and I needed a rifle set up perfectly so I can concentrate on breaking clean shots. The Mega lower and side charger are really nice. The port is huge, and I can trip the bolt release with my index finger and gently chamber a round with my thumb hooked over the top of the charging handle. No more letting the bolt fly home and slam the crap out of the rifle and cartridge. I probably should have a bloop tube but I can get that in the future if I'm shooting decent scores and want to kick it up a notch.

Mega-Arms GTR-3S AMBI Lower Receiver
Mega-Arms Billet Side Charger Upper Receiver
Sierra Precision Grip
Young's NM Side Charger Carrier
Krieger-Milazo Mk1 two stage trigger
JP Reduced Power yellow spring kit
WOP Buttstock
WOP Handguard - 2"
Tubb T2K 22mm Front Sight & Gehman Iris
Warner No. 1 rear sight and Gehman Adjustable Rear Iris
Krieger Stainless Steel Barrel - 6mm 7.5 twist chambered by WOP in 6mm RAT

6mm RAT is a neat cartridge and will be my third wildcat. It's a 6.5 Grendal necked down to 6mm and the shoulder blown forward. I'm guessing it should spit out 107 Sierras at 2750 and I think that is reasonably competitive. It's not a 6XC but I don't have to work a bolt. CharlieT told me about it last year and I think a few of the guys are running them. I'm excited.

Jasper - I couldn't let you be the only guy with a new stick. [smile]

B

EDIT- None of my stuff is MPI, Magnafluxed, Martinized, Electroluxed or HPT proof tested. Ohs noes.

Attachments

• PICT0066.jpg
    PICT0066.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 145
  • PICT0068.jpg
    PICT0068.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 117
  • PICT0070.jpg
    PICT0070.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 110
  • PICT0071.jpg
    PICT0071.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 105
  • PICT0072.jpg
    PICT0072.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 115
  • PICT0073.jpg
    PICT0073.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 100
  • PICT0074.jpg
    PICT0074.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 106
  • PICT0077.jpg
    PICT0077.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 96
  • PICT0080.jpg
    PICT0080.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I dig the ambi lower and side charge handle upper! I may just purchase a LH upper from stag and get this lower.

It's really nice. I have not shot it, but I think the ergonomics are really going to make for good shooting. I ordered it from Rainer Arms and had it within two days.

B

Last edited:
she's gorgeous Brian, but I'd given up the idea of running a gas gun....got myself a T2K earlier this summer [laugh]

now...to find myself a second one, so I can have myself a proper XTC match gun ;)....although, that may have to wait a bit. I've got big plans for the service gun next year. got a 1:6.5 twist Kreiger on the way from Holliger...oughta be a hammer.

looking forward to your "debut" :D

I was waiting several weeks for Krieger to send the barrel to WOP and Brown Santa delivered it this afternoon and I screwed it together. I did borescope it and there is a small patch of chatter in one of the grooves up near the gas port. I was a little disappointed, but I doubt it will effect how it shoots but I am going to do a little bit of break in to see if the chatter will smooth out. The rest of the barrel is very smooth and WOP did a nice job of chambering it.

B

6.5 twist huh, for a .223? You get it throated long for 90s? I got two 6.5 Badgers but I have yet to shoot anything heavier than a 80. I really think the 90s give an advantage in the wind.

B

nope, sticking with 80's and a wylde chamber. there's no loss of accuracy, since all I shoot XTC is 77's and 80's. It'd likely tear a lighter bullet (or something with a thinner jacket) apart. In theory, it might be a TAD more accurate in the wind (been plugging numbers into sierra's infinity program) due to a bit faster rotation on the bullet, but who knows. I do know Charlie used to shoot some ridiculous scores with a 6.5, and Duane shot a 6.5 last year (and made HM in the process IIRC)

it's just an experiment. I definately wanted a kreiger (barrel life primarily). I killed a douglas last year in 2800ish rounds...and killed 2 Wilson's this season (2300ish rounds a piece). sad part is, they still shoot well (shot a 486-13x in the last LEG @ Nashua)...but it SHOULD have been a 490-491.....5 9's off call @ 600, and no conditions to justify it. since I trust my call...last variable is the barrel (I KNOW the ammo is perfect). velocity on my 77s is down to 2560-2580fps....down over 200fps since it was new...same loading...and the 300rapid groups have started opening up. its on its way out.

Barrels are always hit or miss. Just about any one of the manufacturers can make a good one but they can all make dogs. I've had hood luck with Kriegers, but I'm going to try and get a Bartlein for the next one.

You should start looking at Bergers the way you have been shooting at 600. If you are up in the 490s you will pick up points. If you don't want to shoot 90s I'd shoot some of the 82s.

B

I got a T2K front sight on a Midway USA for $125. Too good a deal to pass up with two bases. I use to shoot 18s so a 22 is still a step up.

B

Video showing the Mega-Arms side charging upper and ambi-lower. I think this feature is really going to make shooting this particular rifle more enjoyable. Sort of like a bolt gun.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minute,.......back up,..............
are you saying we will be seeing you on the firing line maybe starting next year?

Could be. Maybe once or twice. I have to get through the winter though and I have my air rifle to help with that. Hope to hit the ground running. I've been sick all summer and going stir crazy.

B

I don't have time for another shooting sport, but that rifle looks cool enough to make me consider trying match rifle.

Sized some cases and loaded ammo for function testing and to get a basic 200 yard zero. Gun shoots great and functioned perfectly. Only 25 round to test, but will have 58 rounds to try at Nashua tomorow. The ambi lower and side charger make it a real dream to shoot. First HP rifle I have ever been able to load from the shoulder comfortably.

B

PS. Don't be afraid to post pics. It's all good.

I scored you at 300 and 600 today. Seems to shoot pretty damn well. Clean with 8 at 300 and 198-8x at 600 IIRC?

I always struggle to put names and faces with screen names. Yes that was me. I was very pleased with how well the rifle and load shot. I thought the match started at 9:00 AM and I showed up at 8:30 and was like this.
dohhomersimpson.jpg

Oh well, Dave was super nice to let me shoot a couple strings and I got some zeros for 300 & 600. I'm glad you showed up too so that there was not an odd man out.

This gun is going to be a hammer.

B

heh, you thought it was a 9AM start too? (me too haha!)

hammer is an understatement...8/2 clean @ 300? thats hammering for a first time out with that rifle. how I shot a 99-0 (after a pair of 7x cleans last week) is beyond me...still learning how light affects me. i'll take the 493-16x though ;)....

this next year is gonna be freakin awesome...lots of competition means better scores, and better scores mean more motivation :D!

Two more points and you would have got one of these.

nra495club.png

Nice shooting, just stay hungry and you will pick one up next year.

B

I don't know anything about sights like those. They appear delicate, and look like a good bump could affect them. How well does a setup like this hold zero?

That's the reason we use this particular bloop tube. Its the only one out that can be removed/reinstalled without loss of zero.

As for taking a bump....most of us are very careful to avoid that..considering what we have invested into these rifles.

Brian....i just put one of norms 6" tubes on my tubb gun. That plus the 30" tube...and ive got about 45" of sight radius. That....plus my new extra long fields buckle sling (standard sling was too short)...and i'm excited to see what it'll be capable of next season.

I don't know anything about sights like those. They appear delicate, and look like a good bump could affect them. How well does a setup like this hold zero?

Potentially. They are range guns only so they don't get lugged through the woods, but they are pretty solid. I have no concerns taking the rear or front sight off every time. What ever variation is going to be lost in the noise of natural point of aim and the wind. What Jasper said it true though. You tend to baby these things.

I have not shot this bloop tube yet, but the indexing pin is a great idea, and I know that the guy who designed it, and he would not make it that way unless it's bulletproof. I got a 2 inch model as well, but the way the rifle feels in the little dry firing I've done, I'm probably just going to keep the 6 inch one there for everything.

B

DSCN0271.jpg DSCN0273.jpg DSCN0274.jpg DSCN0275.jpg DSCN0276.jpg DSCN0278.jpg DSCN0279.jpg DSCN0280.jpg DSCN0282.jpg DSCN0283.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom