• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New magazine catch for Sig P938

My 938 was dropping the extended magazines indiscriminately at the range. I had contacted Sigarms about the problem and they told me it was a repair only their gunsmiths could perform and I had to send it in. I declined, as I only carry with the 6 rounders. Someone on the Seecamp forum mentioned that Midwest Gun Works sold Sig parts and sure enough there were Gen 2 magazine catches. I ordered one and hope it fixes the problem.

Last edited:
Why would a pistol only drop extended and not standard mags? Something isn’t right there. its far more likely that grip is causing inadvertent engagement of the mag release. Now before saying that can’t happen I’ve dealt with this on several pistols. I think you should do more diagnostics on this alleged mag release problem. It’s also a Sig so yeah their CS blows welcome to earth.

Mine was doing the same thing. They fixed it for $55 dollars which included 2nd day shipping both ways. The entire turnaround was 10 days. They also did a full maintenance on the gun replaced all the springs and gave me 2 new mags. FWIW even though it’s fixed I only carry with the flush mags. Because it’s just such an awesome size with the flush mags.

Last edited:
Why would a pistol only drop extended and not standard mags? Something isn’t right there. its far more likely that grip is causing inadvertent engagement of the mag release. Now before saying that can’t happen I’ve dealt with this on several pistols. I think you should do more diagnostics on this alleged mag release problem. It’s also a Sig so yeah their CS blows welcome to earth.

it’s a known problem on the 938s at least for all of us that own and love the quirky little gun. It’s an awesome shooting micro pistol, far superior to the 365, which I also own, in terms of accuracy, size, feel etc. but it does develop some odd things espeacilly in the first and 2nd gens of the gun.

I’m thinking this “gen 2” will fix the problem. If it doesn’t, I will send it back. I just think the plastic on the extended magazines puts too much pressure on the current catch. Maybe they beefed it up a bit. We’ll see.

We talked about it in your thread about ejection problems in your gun last summer/ fall. You had emailed Sig and they wouldn't send you a new mag catch, correct? Midwest Gun Works must be an authorized Sig parts distributor so good job finding a way around Sig's stupid rule. I still don't remember how I was able to get them to ship me one for free but they did.

Why would a pistol only drop extended and not standard mags? Something isn’t right there. its far more likely that grip is causing inadvertent engagement of the mag release.

That was my assumption as well, when I first got my P938. The actual issue was related to the fact that the 6, and 7 round mags are apparently different enough where the catch hole is not the exact same. I went so far as to very slightly file down the top of the plastic base on the 7 round mags to make sure the mag seats fully and completely in the gun. They did, and I still got the random fall-out issue upon firing. Since I put the new mag catch in, the gun hasn't done it at all.

We talked about it in your thread about ejection problems in your gun last summer/ fall. You had emailed Sig and they wouldn't send you a new mag catch, correct? Midwest Gun Works must be an authorized Sig parts distributor so good job finding a way around Sig's stupid rule. I still don't remember how I was able to get them to ship me one for free but they did.

That was my assumption as well, when I first got my P938. The actual issue was related to the fact that the 6, and 7 round mags are apparently different enough where the catch hole is not the exact same. I went so far as to very slightly file down the top of the plastic base on the 7 round mags to make sure the mag seats fully and completely in the gun. They did, and I still got the random fall-out issue upon firing. Since I put the new mag catch in, the gun hasn't done it at all.
Also thanks for the slide spring tip. Since I’ve put a new one in I haven’t had any ejection problems.

@45collector , Any tips on changing the Magazine Catch? Did you have to depress the button or take the grips off? I’m thinking it’s fairly simple. I’ve heard it’s a 1/4 turn screw. Thanks in advance.

This would happen on my mosquito. The mag would pop out a little, but not drop, causing a misfeed. I couldn't change my grip to any other way where it was comfortable. So I got rid of it.
My Sig P238, no problems. The 938's grip is a little wider front to back though.

@45collector , Any tips on changing the Magazine Catch? Did you have to depress the button or take the grips off? I’m thinking it’s fairly simple. I’ve heard it’s a 1/4 turn screw. Thanks in advance.
It’s the same as a 1911. Depress the mag catch slightly, while turning the mag catch lock left and you’ll feel it release.

Last edited:
Changed the catch today. It was simple to do. I haven’t tested it out yet at the range but it definitely seems more secure as it is harder to push past it. It appears to be a little beefier than the old one. The old one is sitting on the mat. Wish I had photographed the new one side by side but I installed it before I thought of it. Thanks Midwestgunworks.com. DF234CB8-40A4-4CBE-ABF6-9FA5F5FD28DA.jpeg 4E57BE43-0AD9-44F9-A973-AA3AD5C91F34.jpeg EC77A400-A3D1-466B-A3FA-EFB35EF259AB.jpeg

From personal experience I recommend also checking the recoil spring length.

New spring length is 4.5” - with the old one in the picture I started getting mag drops with regular 9mm and occasional hammer fail to reset with 9mm+P. Putting in a new spring and new mag catch fixed both issues.

1617403752579.jpeg

From personal experience I recommend also checking the recoil spring length.

New spring length is 4.5” - with the old one in the picture I started getting mag drops with regular 9mm and occasional hammer fail to reset with 9mm+P. Putting in a new spring and new mag catch fixed both issues.

View attachment 468307
My spring is new. I’ve probably only got about 150 rounds through it with the new spring.

Mine was doing the same thing. They fixed it for $55 dollars which included 2nd day shipping both ways. The entire turnaround was 10 days. They also did a full maintenance on the gun replaced all the springs and gave me 2 new mags. FWIW even though it’s fixed I only carry with the flush mags. Because it’s just such as awesome size with the flush mags.
this thread now makes me want to send my 1st gen in for a tune-up and factory check. about 5-600 rounds, never had an issue, but for $55.00 it seems like a no-brainer

this thread now makes me want to send my 1st gen in for a tune-up and factory check. about 5-600 rounds, never had an issue, but for $55.00 it seems like a no-brainer
I was bad mouthing Sigarms earlier in the post but I retracted it. I really had no justification for it. So far I’ve replaced the slide spring, firing pin spring and the magazine catch, or release as some call it. The slide spring and firing pin spring come together as a set and Sig sells them. I agree though. Not a bad price for a tune up.

The picture I posted is what my recoil spring looked like after 5-600 rounds. I did send mine in to Sig to get checked out when it started malfunctioning and they replaced the mag catch, but left the old spring in it. I ended up ordering the recoil spring myself from midwestgunworks.com

Well I ran a box of 50 through with the extended magazines and they came disconnected after the fifth round consistently. There must be something about the magazines as it never happens with the six rounders. Every fifth round. Maybe it is time to send it in.

You call them and ask for service department. Then yeah they email you a fedex shipping label. You drop it off at fedex ( actually I ask someone at my office to call them and they come by). Then they evaluate it, call you and talk to you about it and then they ship it back to you. Seamless process. I know there a thread bashing them, but Sig customer service has been dynamite every time I’ve dealt with them.

You call them and ask for service department. Then yeah they email you a fedex shipping label. You drop it off at fedex ( actually I ask someone at my office to call them and they come by). Then they evaluate it, call you and talk to you about it and then they ship it back to you. Seamless process. I know there a thread bashing them, but Sig customer service has been dynamite every time I’ve dealt with them.
there is a thread on NES bashing every mfg.

my experience on one of them, ruger, was nothing but positive. paid $32.00 to send my lcr .38 to them.

problem fixed , safety checked, test fired, returned on their dime ( might have posted this on another thread)

Yeah I bashed them a little myself but I retracted it because it was uncalled for. Just because they wouldn’t sell me a mag release, they wanted me to send it in. I should have sent it in from the start. How did you package it, like what kind of box, or the plastic case it came in @Robin Proctor ?

Yeah I bashed them a little myself but I retracted it because it was uncalled for. Just because they wouldn’t sell me a mag release, they wanted me to send it in. I should have sent it in from the start. How did you package it, like what kind of box, or the plastic case it came in @Robin Proctor ?
When I sent my 965 in for repair I used the "tupperware" box inside a FedEx Medium Box which fit nicely around the Sig Sauer case. You could probably use any plain box that the gun would fit into,

Yeah sent mine in original Tupperware with mags. Wrapped it in a cardboard box and slapped their Fedex label on it.

When I sent my 965 in for repair I used the "tupperware" box inside a FedEx Medium Box which fit nicely around the Sig Sauer case. You could probably use any plain box that the gun would fit into,

Yeah sent mine in original Tupperware with mags. Wrapped it in a cardboard box and slapped their Fedex label on it.
Thanks guys.

Finally getting around to sending it to Sig for service. They said in the instruction email to tell the fedex rep that you’re shipping a firearm. I hope I don’t get a hard time when I tell them.

Finally getting around to sending it to Sig for service. They said in the instruction email to tell the fedex rep that you’re shipping a firearm. I hope I don’t get a hard time when I tell them.
I forget to inform them almost every time.

Back
Top Bottom