• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Ma Gunsmith in South Hadley

he is a member here. his screen name is SevenSixTwox39. he is a good guy and he is knowledgeable about firearms. if you need something he wont tell you that he can do it if he cannot.

bob

Interesting, I saw his sign on 202 the other day.
Me too.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that'd be us right there! We just opened up officially a week ago and we've been taking work in ever since. We should have some information up in our subforum in the dealers/ranges section soon.
Keep me informed.

Couple real good guys over there talked to them Sunday. Will definitely be getting some work done there. Very knowledgeable and very willing to do special projects.

For anyone interested in learning more about our shop, you can check out our website here: http://www.darkhorsegunsmithing.com/

(edit: there seems to be a potential problem with viewing the website if you're using the Google Chrome web browser, we're working on getting that fixed A.S.AP. but Firefox and IE should be fine.)

Last edited:
Though I am in NH I think the shooting public needs to support local gunsmiths. This is a very tough trade to make a living in especially when you consider the expenses of tooling up a shop and keeping parts on hand. Then you add the other overhead like insurance, the cost of schooling or keeping up with new firearm designs and it leaves a pretty small margin for success. You don't have to spend a fortune with the small town smith as there are all kinds of small jobs from sights, scope bases, recoil pads etc etc that can be the bread and butter and the difference in staying in business. I have known my share who were really good mechanics but never could get the right amount and type of work coming through the door to make a big name for themselves. There is more to smithing than asking for a trigger job and there is no job that is more worrisome than the wrong guy with the wrong trigger.

Yeah you're quite right there, garbler, everything I've heard from the smiths I know says that this can be an expensive and difficult trade at times, but we hope to be able to offer a wide enough variety of services that we won't be too dependent on any one type of work. We're still tooling up right now, and we hope to be able to offer any service that we're capable of performing soon. Though we're very passionate about the work, and I can't imagine us doing anything else right now. Firearms engineering, mechanics, design and ballistics are huge interests of ours so we hope to really make a good go at it.

I work right in Holyoke and will definitely check you guys out if I need some work done. Any plans to offer firearm sales?

Well in the short term, no, but we do plan on getting into custom work including ground-up builds of rifles, handguns, etc which would be sold as whole firearms per order. Rather than have a bunch of guns for sale just using up spare capital though, we want to make sure that we're as tooled-up as possible for any type of gunsmithing work that we could have to do before we're going to worry about having any factory firearms for sale. That said, if the situation allows for it, we'd love to do retail sales and hope to get into the market there eventually as time permits. In the very near future though, we plan on doing ammunition sales including special orders and group buys as well as firearm transfers at a low cost.

I checked your website and didn't find anything but I just wanted to double check and see if you guys do any barrel or bolt fluting?

I checked your website and didn't find anything but I just wanted to double check and see if you guys do any barrel or bolt fluting?

Not just yet, but we have plans to get our equipment set up to be able to do that in the near future. Unfortunately we haven't gotten our mill and lathe wired into the power at the shop yet so some of that type of work can't be done just yet, but it's one of our top priorities right now to have that ready to go as soon as we can. If you have any questions about what work we can do you can always contact us either at our e-mail address, ([email protected]) the contact page on the website, or the number listed at the bottom of each page on that site. (413-992-6357)

-Max

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom