• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New LTC question

Hey everyone, new guy here.

I applied for my LTC about 3 weeks ago, and surfing the forums said i could expect a wait of at least 4-6 weeks. However, I just got notification from my bank that the check i had written to my town had been cashed, and when i looked at (magical wonders of online banking) the town had written in my LTC number in the memo field.

I'm assuming this means that my license has at least been processed, is this correct? Also is there any way to look up my number on line to see what my restrictions are? As a new 21 year old, I was slightly worried that i might have restrictions; this being my first license and applying for it only a week after my birthday.

Thanks everyone!

I applied for my LTC about 3 weeks ago, and surfing the forums said i could expect a wait of at least 4-6 weeks. However, I just got notification from my bank that the check i had written to my town had been cashed, and when i looked at (magical wonders of online banking) the town had written in my LTC number in the memo field.

I'm assuming this means that my license has at least been processed, is this correct? Also is there any way to look up my number on line to see what my restrictions are? As a new 21 year old, I was slightly worried that i might have restrictions; this being my first license and applying for it only a week after my birthday.

Thanks everyone!

A good indication of whether or not you will have you will have restrictions is which town you live in (in addition to your conversation with the issuing LEO).

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...uide-to-gun-rights-in-your-Massachusetts-town

If you live in a GREEN town, that will help. You won't know for sure until you get your license.

3 Months

Thanks everyone!

Plan on waiting three months for your LTC. I live in a green town and went through the long wait. A friend on mine who lives in different MA town also had to wait 3 months. When I finally received my license it was dated three weeks prior. All you can do is wait.

Plan on waiting three months for your LTC. I live in a green town and went through the long wait. A friend on mine who lives in different MA town also had to wait 3 months. When I finally received my license it was dated three weeks prior. All you can do is wait.

If the town is doing their job it should be 4-6 weeks.

It took me about 5.5 weeks.

When I went (renewal) the Sgt. showed me my permit on screen..Still took about 7-8 weeks. Patience my friend. Good things come to those who wait.

Thanks everyone!

Well, you might get some insight from the first 3 numbers and last number+letter of the license. What were those as they appeared on your check?

Well, you might get some insight from the first 3 numbers and last number+letter of the license. What were those as they appeared on your check?

122xxxx2A

longest 3 weeks of my life haha. My friends that got theirs in my town said to expect a 6 week wait, but they all got unrestricted. I believe I'm in a 'green' town; Needham.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Palmer had done the same thing. Cashed my check in 4 weeks and wrote the permit number on the license. I didn't receive it for an additional 6 weeks. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you though.

It cant hurt to call the local PD once if it has been reached the 5 week mark in my book. Especially if the check has cleared. Just don't be a pain and call daily as it can be annoying.

I thought the law was 40 days to issue?

No I am not looking it up.

Not exactly.

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing;

In technical terms, it says that if you are denied, you must be notified in writing. But if you are approved, the license can be issued to you. It doesn't say that they have to assure that it is in your possession within that time frame.

Once the Colonel says you're good to go, the LEO can then say OK, you are green-lighted. But they can sit on it for as long as they want to actually get it to you, after they spend a month finding license blanks, another month for the LEO to activate it, another month for the PD to call you and say it is ready, blah blah blah.

I thought the law was 40 days to issue?

HVL quoted the statute (M.G.L. c.140 s.131). Unfortunately, there is no penalty provided for violation. Subsequently, chiefs can (and some routinely do) violate the statute without fear of reprisal.

I was wrong on the date; I looked at my calendar and today marks the 5 week period. So i sent the Lt an email. Its nice to have a younger guy in charge of licensing with a bb so we don't have to play phone tag.

Finally got it (LTC-A)! Right around 6 weeks (+ a day or two).
whats the norm for expiration dates? Mine expires on my birthday in 2016, which is 5yrs 5 months from now.

122xxxx2A

The A just means it's a Class A, the restrictions aren't reflected in the license number.

Wrong section for this activity mister. [grin]

Finally got it (LTC-A)! Right around 6 weeks (+ a day or two).
whats the norm for expiration dates? Mine expires on my birthday in 2016, which is 5yrs 5 months from now.

That's the norm and in accordance with the law, they expire on your birthday.

Back
Top Bottom