New LTC order of operations?

EagleScout17

NES Member
What is the exact order of an LTC application with regards to specific steps in the timeline? In terms of application submitted, check cashed, fingerprints, interview, MIRCS, DCJIS, printed, received, etc.? I'm just trying to figure out the order of operations in my head. Thank you.

Get the training certificate, call the local cops (to see how your town wants to do it), submit the application with a $100 check, make an appointment for an interview and/or to get photographed and fingerprinted. Then the locals will submit it to the state, the DCJIS will do their checks, and if you pass, the state will print the license, send it to your local police, and then they'll call you to come in and pick up your license and PIN.

Get the training certificate, call the local cops (to see how your town wants to do it), submit the application with a $100 check, make an appointment for an interview and/or to get photographed and fingerprinted. Then the locals will submit it to the state, the DCJIS will do their checks, and if you pass, the state will print the license, send it to your local police, and then they'll call you to come in and pick up your license and PIN.
I'm applying for an LTC with a current FID. I had my interview last week and the LO said that I don't have to redo prints and took my picture during the interview. My check cashed today. Does that mean it's submitted to the state now? Or does the check clearing not really mean anything?

Resident Firearms License Application Processing​

Your application will be processed by your local licensing authority.
Firearms license application processing includes a state and federal background check, a fingerprint based background check, and a check with the Department of Mental Health.
You will be notified by your local licensing authority when your firearms license application has been processed, either by telephone or by mail. You may need to pick up your firearms license in person.
License processing may take up to 60 days.

I'm applying for an LTC with a current FID. I had my interview last week and the LO said that I don't have to redo prints and took my picture during the interview. My check cashed today. Does that mean it's submitted to the state now? Or does the check clearing not really mean anything?
Did you get a MIRCS receipt? ETA, same answer in your other thread on similar question.

What is the exact order of an LTC application with regards to specific steps in the timeline? In terms of application submitted, check cashed, fingerprints, interview, MIRCS, DCJIS, printed, received, etc.? I'm just trying to figure out the order of operations in my head. Thank you.
Your getting too far into the weeds here. From reading this thread and your other one.....i think what your trying to do is find out how Long it will be until your license comes in. Every town is different. My son did the exact process your doing.....had his fid and when he turned 21 he applied for his ltc. From first phone call to license in hand was 7 weeks. That is Haverhill ma. Your town may be totally different.

Last edited:
Cashing of checks is totally irrelevant. PDs don't "cash checks", they probably pile them up and forward them to the city/town treasurer. Said treasurer deposits them in the city/town general fund whenever. What counts is when the PD types all your info into MIRCS via computer . . . that is what "sent to the state" means.

As for time, PDs don't typically prioritize processing gun permits. It can take 3 weeks or in extreme cases 9 months! It's when they "get around to it"!

The good towns will keep you informed and give you a print out/receipt when it goes into the system.

The bad towns employ various amounts of delay tactics out of fear and incompetence.

The solution is constitutional carry.

The good towns will keep you informed and give you a print out/receipt when it goes into the system.

The bad towns employ various amounts of delay tactics out of fear and incompetence.

The solution is constitutional carry.
In my town they enter it into the system while you are at the "interview", and have walk-in processing one day a week, occasionally skipped when the licensing officer is on vacation.

Cashing of checks is totally irrelevant. PDs don't "cash checks", they probably pile them up and forward them to the city/town treasurer. Said treasurer deposits them in the city/town general fund whenever. What counts is when the PD types all your info into MIRCS via computer . . . that is what "sent to the state" means.

As for time, PDs don't typically prioritize processing gun permits. It can take 3 weeks or in extreme cases 9 months! It's when they "get around to it"!
When I went in for my interview, the LO went to the computer for a view minutes and typed my application into a computer, and printed me out a copy of the LTC application but the information in the top right (PD USE ONLY: FTN: LIC # ) was filled in. He took my updated picture, and said that my previous prints were good for the LTC. Does this mean it was submitted to MIRCS? Thank you for your insights.

Did you get a MIRCS receipt? ETA, same answer in your other thread on similar question.
I'm not sure if I got a MIRCS receipt. When I went in for my interview, the LO went to the computer for a view minutes and typed my application into a computer, and printed me out a copy of the LTC application but the information in the top right (PD USE ONLY: FTN: LIC # ) was filled in. Would this be the MIRCS receipt?

In my town they enter it into the system while you are at the "interview", and have walk-in processing one day a week, occasionally skipped when the licensing officer is on vacation.
That’s what my old town did, they doubled checked everything with me as they entered the info into system then printed me a receipt. They even return phone calls promptly on licensing matters.

Not sure about my new town… I’ll find out in 3 years if I stick around.

It may be just a coincidence that my PD seems to wait until the check clears, at the end of the month. Or it's just timing and the way things are done.
At the beginning of the month is when all four of us in this household got called to "Come on Down" for fingerprints and mugs. The MIRCS copy was given at this time also.
This was with two different Chief's and clerks / dispatchers.

As of August in Auburn it was: course - day 1; turn in app - day 2; call to set up appointment - day 3; interview and prints - day 10; approval - day 11; card in hand - day 32.

Just worry about the parts in bold. The rest isnt really important to you unless you are simply curious.
-Get BFS Certificate
-Check your local PD's website or call to see the specifics for your town
-Drop off (or mail, or submit online, as appropriate) application w/ $100
-Schedule "interview" (this likely entails fingerprints + a photo and sending you on your way in 5 mins or less).

You will either pick up the license or get it in the mail.

Military intelligence is not going to send goons to ask your 3rd grade teacher how your behavior was in class. The licensing officer isnt going to ask if you are getting an LTC to compensate for a small peepee. Local cops arent going to knock on your door an quiz you on MA law.

I'm not sure if I got a MIRCS receipt. When I went in for my interview, the LO went to the computer for a view minutes and typed my application into a computer, and printed me out a copy of the LTC application but the information in the top right (PD USE ONLY: FTN: LIC # ) was filled in. Would this be the MIRCS receipt?
No, this is copy of your application. It is NOT a MIRCS receipt. However, on an initial application for a LTC, the MIRCS receipt isn't required as it gives you no privileges . . . only required for renewals.

Resident Firearms License Application Processing​

Your application will be processed by your local licensing authority.
Firearms license application processing includes a state and federal background check, a fingerprint based background check, and a check with the Department of Mental Health.
You will be notified by your local licensing authority when your firearms license application has been processed, either by telephone or by mail. You may need to pick up your firearms license in person.
License processing may take up to 60 days.
In my town the check clears after the state issues back to local cops. At a minimum the local cops processed it as I doubt they rifle through the apps for checks without processing.

In my town the check clears after the state issues back to local cops. At a minimum the local cops processed it as I doubt they rifle through the apps for checks without processing.
All towns do different things. I got my information from GOAL's website because I couldn't find the flowchart that is on this site.

All towns do different things. I got my information from GOAL's website because I couldn't find the flowchart that is on this site.
The flow chart is a sticky and nobody looks at stickies, thus they are "hard to find". I gave up on posting legal info in the MA gun laws forum and only put them in my training forum, because I can lock the thread and avoid 10 pgs of irrelevant posts in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom