• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New LTC-A holder, new shooter....and incredibly bummed out about ammo.

For years and years I wanted to get my LTC. However I just never went to the course to get my certificate & apply. I often ignored family that are retired SP & currently sit on a bench, dropping a hammer from time to time on criminals about the importance of getting my LTC.

Then the lunatic teenager who murdered children at Newtown created a massive knee-jerk reaction and I quickly attended a class & applied for my LTC. I figured now was the time, as it appeared our rights may be taken away from us all because of one crazy kid.

Early February I applied for my LTC-A. Early June I FINALLY received my LTC-A, no restrictions. The following day I went out and purchased my first gun, with little research. The gun shop owner spent roughly 2 hours with me, covering the basics and helping me find a gun that felt good and wouldn't be intimidating for a first time shooter. I picked up a Ruger SR22, along with 100rds of CCI ammo.

The next step was joining a club. I contacted a few, most have monthly meetings with orientation, so I asked if I could meet with anyone prior to the scheduled dates & get my membership. Surprisingly - EVERYONE agreed. I've been able to sign up and join 3 clubs in a week, very cool to know I have 5 clubs in roughly 15 mile radius to join. I never knew there was a range not even 5 minutes from my house, how cool is that??

My friend & I go to the pistol range for the first time and I have 100rds with me. In 45 minutes, it's all gone. I sure as hell had a lot of fun shooting only the upper left of every target. Some day with more practice, hopefully in the next few days, I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong and hit a bullseye more often. I take a trip to Dicks, they have no .22lr - I ask when I could join the fun and camp out for ammo, the manager basically tells me don't bother, there is about 15 retired folks who will get in line an hour before they open and clean them out. His exact words were "I rarely sell ammo to a face I don't see every single week on our delivery date, I'm sorry - it sucks and isn't fair to shooters like you who aren't prepping for the end of the world or zombies. I will do my best to grab you a couple boxes and hide them, check back with me on Friday"

Off to the next shop, this time it's a small lgs. Neither the owner or employee really give a **** that I'm in there. While they are buddy buddy chatting with someone for 10 minutes, I interrupt and ask if they have any .22lr and I'm laughed at and the owner says "yeah, you'll never find it". He then proceeds to show me 3 boxes, 50rds each of .22lr he took it in on trade and tells me $8 bucks. I think COOL...but WTF, only 8 bucks? I open up a box and it looks OLD and rather corroded, but I say I'll take it anyway. $8 got me 150 rounds of ugly looking 22lr, I think I may just store it away, you know, begin my prepping in case zombies ever show up.

Head to Walmart, really had no clue what to expect, but the lady at the counter was incredibly friendly and told me to call every morning and check, she has no idea when the shipments are coming but that 24 hours ago, they had a huge shipment of 22lr and 9mm come in and it was gone in a couple hours. She said "it's the same people and they've figured out the shipping schedule some how, all older gents"

So here I am, new shooter, excited to continue firing my gun and I can't do anything but stare at it. If MA residents could only order online...it'd be possible to have some ammo!

/end rant

Where are you located?

Edit: Thought I might be able to help but just saw you are in Pittsfield, so that probably won't help since it's about 2hrs away from me.

Last edited:
Damn you were able to afford to join 3 clubs in one week and yet you only bought a Ruger SR22. You could've joined just one and maybe had purchased something else.

Have fun
Charles.

Damn you were able to afford to join 3 clubs in one week and yet you only bought a Ruger SR22. You could've joined just one and maybe had purchased something else.

Have fun
Charles.

Could've joined just one, but it's fun to try new places. The indoor ranges will be fun for not so great weather, outdoor will be good for nice weather, plus access all winter for the indoor...etc. Options options options.

I would purchase another gun, but I can't find 9mm around here either!!!! Last box I found to shoot with my buddies 9mm was $38 for 50rds...and it was the only box I could find.

- - - Updated - - -

This might help with your getting on target....
Correcting handgun shooting problems | Stuff From Hsoi

Thanks for that, so according to that chart, my shot placement means I'm still afraid of the bang. [laugh]

i hope whoever sold you that ammo took you to dinner before they ****ed you like that.

$0.76/rd. for 115gr 9mm. shoulda passed, broseph.

Are things tough out there right now? Yeah, it certainly is not a "perfect" world, however it "sounds" at least like you've not really put much effort into finding ammo. Now, I live geographically in a different area than you but people are finding ammo if they look.

It might take a bit of traveling, it might take a bit of horsetrading

I cobbled together 1,000 rds of .22LR for a buddy of mine, grand total $64, not great but not killer either, just last night I grabbed 300 rds of 9mm for $64 and change

Where and how often are you looking?

Could've joined just one, but it's fun to try new places. The indoor ranges will be fun for not so great weather, outdoor will be good for nice weather, plus access all winter for the indoor...etc. Options options options.

I would purchase another gun, but I can't find 9mm around here either!!!! Last box I found to shoot with my buddies 9mm was $38 for 50rds...and it was the only box I could find.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that, so according to that chart, my shot placement means I'm still afraid of the bang. [laugh]

I'm also in Western Mass., recently I've found it getting a little bit better for 22LR, just be patient. I don't waste my time with Walmart I've been able to find a little here and there at the LGS's.

Give a call to A&J down in Housatonic, I have heard that they have been getting decent ammo stock. Don't even waste you time with walmart or dicks if you are looking for 22.

I would be weary about buying traded in ammo from a shop. Technically, i dont think they are supposed to sell ammo that has been traded in (i could be wrong!). Additionally, you dont know what the previous owner did with the ammo. Bad ammo, or wet ammo may not fire correctly causing a squib, and as a new shooter not knowing how to identify a squib can lead to injury or a catastrophic failure of the firearm.

Im not trying to be a party pooper though so i will give you a tip.

The last 2 weeks on Saturday morning at 8am, Cabelas received their ammo shipment. I have had no difficulty getting any ammo i'm looking for at that time.

The last 2 weeks on Saturday morning at 8am, Cabelas received their ammo shipment. I have had no difficulty getting any ammo i'm looking for at that time.

Not OT, since the OP has a 22....
Haven't taken the drive down to Hartford in a while... what are they asking for federal bulk packs these days? Getting back to reasonable?

Are things tough out there right now? Yeah, it certainly is not a "perfect" world, however it "sounds" at least like you've not really put much effort into finding ammo. Now, I live geographically in a different area than you but people are finding ammo if they look.

It might take a bit of traveling, it might take a bit of horsetrading

I cobbled together 1,000 rds of .22LR for a buddy of mine, grand total $64, not great but not killer either, just last night I grabbed 300 rds of 9mm for $64 and change

Where and how often are you looking?

I'm checking often, the price gouging at one local store is awful. I paid his outrageous price for 9mm just because I was excited to shoot a 9. However I'll never return to his store. If you're from Pittsfield then you know exactly who I'm talking about. AJ's,I haven't found a website or phone # for their hours? Pete's has been awesome, but getting there while they are open is my problem & 1bx limit.. Trust me I'm trying, just don't have any connections to find goodies yet!

I have put word out to all my friends when they go looking, if they find 22lr to grab it for me...

Last edited:
classifieds are your friend.... certain free-staters who live right on the border order discount ammo online and move it FTF via NES [wink] - A few boxes of 22 probably isn't worth the trip though depending where you live.

I was in a similar situation, got my LTC living in MA, right as Obama got elected. That was hell.

I wouldn't give up on a shop because of one bad experience, either. I have a fairly good idea of the unnamed one you may have been referring to before, and I have had good and bad experiences there. There is one that I go to because they make the best arrows, but I never buy gun stuff there as their ammo prices were wacky even before this shortage nonsense.

Anyone have any ammo connections around Worcester they are willing to share?? I feel like I have a paper route every few days only to find no 22 in the end...Walmart to dicks to another walmart then another...Always bare shelves

Picked a real bad time to buy my wife a Sig Mosqitto that is a picky eater

I'm right there with you, got my LTC-A in February but couldn't purchase a firearm until I returned to MA from college out of state, now I can't find any ammo to practice with my new SR9c, all I've gotten is a couple boxes of JHPs that I've been carrying with it. Haven't even been able to shoot the thing yet. Maybe I'll stay up after my night shift and beat the old timers to the store in the morning.
What state do you go to college in? If you have residency in that state, you most certainly ca purhase a firearm while living in that state. As a matter of fact, you can purchase off he list handguns and FA-10 them when you come back to MA. Just keep mags to ten rounds, and stay AWB compliant. Don't go by me, check into this yourself. You may need to get a drivers license in the state you go to school, to prove to a FFL you have residency there.

Already done my friend, unfortunately, North Carolina has strict gun laws for a southern state, although the problem here is more of a residency concern. I satisfied the ATF's regulations concerning residency according to ATF ruling 80-21, but North Carolina only issues pistol purchase permits or CHP's to residents who satisfy the state's requirements, and NC requires out of state college students seeking residency to keep a residence in the state and demonstrate intent to remain there after graduation. I lived in dorm or campus owned housing up until my graduation last month. Hopefully I can find a job down there and move south permanently.

We are looking to move to NC ourselves. One of our sons is going to college there this fall, so we will have plenty of opportunity to scout around for a nice town hopefully. Stinks to hear that they have strict gun laws, but it still has to be way better than anything we deal with up here!

pm me ill sell you 500 packs winchester wildcat lead nose of 22lr for a pre newtown price i also have a 30 cal can full of it if youre interested im located in gb go to pittsfield weekly, and no i dont have more for anyone else just helping out a new shooter

Last edited:
It's still in Beta, but I just (soft) launched a website called Bullet-Monkey. I'm working on the mobile site now, as well as a few bugs and what not, but feel free to log on and use it. It's basically like Gasbuddy.com for ammo.

Create an account, log in, when you buy ammo somewhere, post the dealer, ammo and price. Then others can see what's in stock and how much. Like I said, it's still in Beta and I'm making changes/fixes daily, but it is "live". I posted data for Four Seasons there yesterday. Not all dealers or products are there, but there are forms to add them under update.

Any feedback, good and bad, would be appreciated.

Good luck and I hope this helps all shooters, new and experienced, find ammo without getting raped on price.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble getting 9mm around by me which sucks . New gun new shooter no rounds lol

You're in Arlington and can't find 9mm? You're not really farther than I am from Four Seasons and I've yet to walk in there ever (even randomly post-Newtown) and not see a stack of 9mm taking up a 3' by 4' chuck of floor space. Granted, last time I was there they were limiting to 2 boxes per person per caliber but they did have ammo and, while it was more expensive than 2011 prices, it wasn't massively so. I think Blazer 9mm was $17 per box of 50 compared to $13/box pre-shortage.

Give them a try. I can't have been just that randomly lucky every time.

You're in Arlington and can't find 9mm? You're not really farther than I am from Four Seasons and I've yet to walk in there ever (even randomly post-Newtown) and not see a stack of 9mm taking up a 3' by 4' chuck of floor space. Granted, last time I was there they were limiting to 2 boxes per person per caliber but they did have ammo and, while it was more expensive than 2011 prices, it wasn't massively so. I think Blazer 9mm was $17 per box of 50 compared to $13/box pre-shortage.

Give them a try. I can't have been just that randomly lucky every time.

Four Seasons had no 9mm yesterday afternoon, I was surprised as they usually have something.

I've heard they have 9 blazer brass but couldn't make it today . Will try tomorrow after work but that's the only time I can go

I've heard they have 9 blazer brass but couldn't make it today . Will try tomorrow after work but that's the only time I can go

As of tuesday, FS only had 9mm for purchasers of new handguns. No 9mm for regular sales. No fotay (.40). Plenty of .45ACP, 5.56, 7.62, and even some .22LR.

Really ? Does that mean I'm SOL ? I'm sorry I'm still kinda new I just haven't heard of that I mean it does make sense on a shortage for customers but aren't I one too ?

Back
Top Bottom