• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New London PD

Just a heads up, it looks like NLPD's digital finger print system has a glitch. I had my prints done in August and just had to go in today and have them retaken (I was the third one of the day). If anyone else had their prints done there around that time, expect to get a call soon.

Well this is just freaking great. They won't issue the permit without first having a meeting with the Chief. Oh, but it gets better, they are just now calling people today (I call THEM) and now have it scheduled for Dec 3. I told them that I am free the rest of today as well as Monday and Tuesday next week with Wednesday morning mostly free. I was told the following (caps for emphasis):

THE CHIEF IS NOT DOING ANY MEETINGS UNTIL AFTER THANKSGIVING!

I applied August 23rd, was told they're getting them done in 6-8 weeks. Should have had it between Oct 4-18. Today is week 13, meeting is week 14.5 and I'm assuming that he'll sign it right then and there but I have no idea if that is the case or not. So pissed right now.

Well this is just freaking great. They won't issue the permit without first having a meeting with the Chief. Oh, but it gets better, they are just now calling people today (I call THEM) and now have it scheduled for Dec 3. I told them that I am free the rest of today as well as Monday and Tuesday next week with Wednesday morning mostly free. I was told the following (caps for emphasis):

I applied August 23rd, was told they're getting them done in 6-8 weeks. Should have had it between Oct 4-18. Today is week 13, meeting is week 14.5 and I'm assuming that he'll sign it right then and there but I have no idea if that is the case or not. So pissed right now.

Call me. I'll pm you my number.

You don't need to meet with the chief. You just need to submit a complete app.

you could probably meet with him any day at the local watering hole, if he's that busy at work.

well that explains everything, "she" is probably still driving around to every police uniform store in the nation looking for a police chief hat that fits an extra small size head.

As I recall, I think New London and New Britain are the two places in CT where they restrict concealed carry. Any irony in the fact that they're both shit holes?

Yeah, do not go in for meeting. Tell them you submitted a full application and they have a statutory limit on the amount of time to issue you a permit. If they break that limit report them to DPS and you'll get a permit.

I was born and raised in New London. You need to get out of there ASAP.

As I recall, I think New London and New Britain are the two places in CT where they restrict concealed carry. Any irony in the fact that they're both shit holes?

They have both reversed that in the last couple of years.

They were receptive to changing the law when a couple of dozen of their residents started open carrying a few years ago.

They have both reversed that in the last couple of years.

They were receptive to changing the law when a couple of dozen of their residents started open carrying a few years ago.

Good to know, thanks! No more worries when I have to go to these places.

Yeah, do not go in for meeting. Tell them you submitted a full application and they have a statutory limit on the amount of time to issue you a permit. If they break that limit report them to DPS and you'll get a permit.

I was born and raised in New London. You need to get out of there ASAP.

Thats not how it works. You need to file with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, then wait for your hearing.

Good to know, thanks! No more worries when I have to go to these places.

You should not have worried in the first place. Those town laws were passed before CT had a pistol permit. Once CT had a pistol permit, the town ordinances contradicted state law. Nobody otherwise law abiding person has EVER been prosecuted in either of those towns under those ordinances.

Part of the reason they got rid of them is they got tired of all the people open carrying. When confronted by Police, their answer would always be, well I can't carry concealed. So here I am. Ha.

Thats not how it works. You need to file with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, then wait for your hearing.

That's how it used to work in New London. One call to DPS and notify them of exceeding the limit and mention a lawyer, they'd call and yell at chief, you get your permit within a day or two.

ETA: I moved out of New London almost ten years ago.

Last edited:
That's how it used to work in New London. One call to DPS and notify them of exceeding the limit and mention a lawyer, they'd call and yell at chief, you get your permit within a day or two.

ETA: I moved out of New London almost ten years ago.

Do you really think the DPS cares about the town exceeding the limit? (It was 40 days but PA 13-3 extends it. I can't recall how long though)

The DPS is complicit in half of the stuff going on in CT now.

The only remedy is through the BFPE.

I'm saying they weren't when I got a permit in NL. They might be now, but we're not then because the chief then didn't want to get sued. Squeaky wheel got the grease.

As I said that was a decade ago.

You should not have worried in the first place. Those town laws were passed before CT had a pistol permit. Once CT had a pistol permit, the town ordinances contradicted state law. Nobody otherwise law abiding person has EVER been prosecuted in either of those towns under those ordinances.

Part of the reason they got rid of them is they got tired of all the people open carrying. When confronted by Police, their answer would always be, well I can't carry concealed. So here I am. Ha.

Well it hadn't stopped me from going ahead and carrying in NL, but good information to store in my knowledge bank.

Picked up the local permit today!

Applied: Aug 23
Picked Up: Dec 5
Total Time: Just shy of 15 weeks.

Another guy was picking up his and said he was at 8 weeks.

Yeah. You happened to be one of the first people in their batching.

The other guy might have been among the last. Its not uncommon for PDs to wait until they accumulate 2 months worth of apps before they send them in.

Don

Got the State permit today, thanks everyone for the information regarding this issue. Interestingly, local PDs are giving out bad information on the hours for the Troops. The paper I was giving had the wrong days and times for Troop E (only saying one or two days a month, not the whole week). Several other people there had the same problem.

Now I just need a job to buy the ammo/range time!

Back
Top Bottom