• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

new list

An approved testing laboratory must determine whether a handgun:
Has “a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock that is composed of: 1) any metal having a melting point of less than 900 degrees Fahrenheit; 2) any metal having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch; or 3) any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.” This requirement does not apply to any make and model of handgun that passes, in new condition, specific firing tests;

Is prone to accidental discharge as measured by drop testing;
12128. As used in this chapter, the "drop safety requirement for handguns" means that at the conclusion of the firing requirements for handguns described in Section 12127, the same certified independent testing laboratory shall subject the same three handguns of the make and model for which certification is sought, to the following test:

A primed case (no powder or projectile) shall be inserted into the chamber. For pistols, the slide shall be released, allowing it to move forward under the impetus of the recoil spring, and an empty magazine shall be inserted. For both pistols and revolvers, the weapon shall be placed in a drop fixture capable of dropping the pistol from a drop height of 1m + 1cm (39.4 + 0.4 in.) onto the largest side of a slab of solid concrete having minimum dimensions of 7.5 X 15 X 15 cm (3 X 6 X 6 in.). The drop distance shall be measured from the lowermost portion of the weapon to the top surface of the slab. The weapon shall be dropped from a fixture and not from the hand. The weapon shall be dropped in the condition that it would be in if it were dropped from a hand (cocked with no manual safety applied). If the design of a pistol is such that upon leaving the hand a "safety" is automatically applied by the pistol, this feature shall not be defeated. An approved drop fixture is a short piece of string with the weapon attached at one end and the other end held in an air vise until the drop is initiated.
The following six drops shall be performed:
(a) Normal firing position with barrel horizontal.
(b) Upside down with barrel horizontal.
(c) On grip with barrel vertical.
(d) On muzzle with barrel vertical.
(e) On either side with barrel horizontal.
(f) If there is an exposed hammer or striker, on the rearmost point of that device, otherwise on the rearmost point of the weapon.
The primer shall be examined for indentations after each drop. If indentations are present, a fresh primed case shall be used for the next drop.
The handgun shall pass this test if each of the three test guns does not fire the primer.

Is prone to: 1) firing more than once per pull of the trigger; or 2) exploding during firing;

Has a barrel less than three inches in length; however, this restriction does not apply if the dealer discloses to the prospective purchaser in writing, prior to the transaction, the limitations of the accuracy of the particular make and model. To this end, the dealer must disclose the make and model’s average group diameter test result (meaning the average of three tests using three sample firearms, with each firearm firing five rounds at a target from a set distance and measuring and recording the largest spread in inches between the centers of any of the holes made in the test targets) at seven yards, 14 yards and 21 yards.

As you can see, these tests are destructive, and could possibly render a gun unsafe and/or inoperable. The guns are returned to the manufacturer.

Last edited:
TP9SA does, I thought that was the one being referred to.

Sorry, I just meant they didn't leave the decocker on to pass the test, they did it to save costs (in case that was under debate).

And we don't know if the TP9SA will be kosher with the AG. I'm not really interested in it anyway, unless they make compact models.

For those who know, what's good about Canik? The price? I have both PPQ and VP9...
From the new list, I was mildly interested in P320 and PPS Mod 2. It might be a long wait.

For those who know, what's good about Canik? The price? I have both PPQ and VP9...
From the new list, I was mildly interested in P320 and PPS Mod 2. It might be a long wait.

Yeah, you get VP9 or Glock 17 for $350. I don't think it's superior in any way but price, unless you want to carry the 18 round mags. :)

You're not gonna want a Mass-compliant PPS M2 anyway, it'll have a 13 lb trigger that's hard to swap out.

Fascinating I'd love to hear your sources on the matter. I'm not trying to be a troll I'd just would love to know how you know. I've heard manufacturers bitch about the 10 grand all the time

Fair request.

I attended and testified at the CMR hearings on implementing these test requirements. I've attended a GCAB meeting where some guns were approved for one of the lists. I've read carefully the law (140-123) on these requirements and like I stated, I read and provided testimony on the CMR that implements them. You will find nothing about payment to the Commiewealth in either of these.

I would like all the Mass handgun testing reports from the three "approved labs" published. Which firearms are to be tested, when, quantity, who, test results, what happened to firearms. Will it take a Freedom of Information Act Request? I still don't understand police firearm purchases being exempt from Mass handgun safety requirements.

chesapeaktesting.com (Maryland)
hpwhite.com (Maryland)
nts.com/locations/wichita

FOIA only applies to gov't orgs, not private companies. None of those companies would give you any info nor would any court force them to do so.

On the other hand, I am unsure if legally GCAB would have to release those reports under FOIA. I'm sure that they would fight you on it and probably try to bill you thousands for copies (in spite of a court ruling otherwise) as well.

Good luck if you take on this mission.

I absolutely love my canik. I have the Decocker one if they get rid of that and the trigger is the same I'll sell my glocks it's a great cheap firearm

FOIA only applies to gov't orgs, not private companies. None of those companies would give you any info nor would any court force them to do so.

On the other hand, I am unsure if legally GCAB would have to release those reports under FOIA. I'm sure that they would fight you on it and probably try to bill you thousands for copies (in spite of a court ruling otherwise) as well.

Good luck if you take on this mission.

I would think the latter and compare it to the Mass DOT releasing bridge test reports to the public.
http://www.mass.gov/auditor/docs/audits/2015/201400093c.pdf

For a "public safety" issue, too much is hidden here.

Not only each caliber, but every barrel length, and all different frame and slide materials (alum. carbon steel, stainless steel, titanium, polymer) on each model. On top of that, they have to supply six (I think) examples of each and every different iteration for testing. Actually only the models they want to test. That's why you see models missing from "approved" lists.

You can see why most manufacturers don't bother. The cost of the guns is bad enough, but the cost of testing each one is a killer. Then there's the chance they fail the testing.

This. Plus the different finishes. For example, if you look on the sig website itll tell you that the SP2022 is MA compliant, want one in FDE? Not compliant...Its asinine.

Back
Top Bottom