• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Licensing Officer In Somerville

Also, ask around. I have taken a few people who were applying in Somerville to the range as they did not know anyone in the area yet. Always a fun time. Currently only a member out at Harvard.

Yeah, and once you are a member somewhere and get to know people you can just talk loudly about what you were thinking about buying and someone may come up to you and say "You should talk to this person, they have one." or if it is a gun for trap it is "They have one, and are selling it because they upgraded to something different"

I too met with the new somerville licensing officer recently as a first time applicant, and I received my unrestricted LTC about 30 days later. I wrote a pretty nice letter, a little more than a page single spaced, briefly went over my knowledge of firearms and emphasized how I wanted it for protection and to be responsible citizen, even if just for that infinitesimally small chance of something happening. I thanked him at the end for doing his job for the community, etc. It was definitely a well crafted letter that I worked for a while on for a while. My meeting was super brief, he went over the importance of keeping it safe and I agreed with him, he talked about how he takes his job in firearms licensing seriously, and I emphasized how its all about everyone doing there part to be responsible.

So in my experience it was definitely a "green" process, especially with how timely I received it (way less than the 6-8 weeks they initially told me, actually within the limit as defined in the law). The issue date on it was only some 10 days after the meeting. So it is possible to get an unrestricted there still, just depends on how you handle the letter and meeting and what your background is. It sounds like I have a similar background to Xike, I am a little bit older and I only moved to Somerville a year ago but I've been in the Boston area since 2011.

I wish anyone else who's applying there good luck. He seems like a pretty reasonable guy to me.

That is quite flawed reasoning, as his position portends that he expects long-time Somerville residents to only carry in Somerville, or further, that a person would be willing to move to Somerville simply to obtain an unrestricted LTC. Neither logical position stands up to scrutiny.
Yep, its amazing

So in my experience it was definitely a "green" process, especially with how timely I received it (way less than the 6-8 weeks they initially told me, actually within the limit as defined in the law). The issue date on it was only some 10 days after the meeting. So it is possible to get an unrestricted there still, just depends on how you handle the letter and meeting and what your background is. It sounds like I have a similar background to Xike, I am a little bit older and I only moved to Somerville a year ago but I've been in the Boston area since 2011.

I wish anyone else who's applying there good luck. He seems like a pretty reasonable guy to me.

Good luck is right. So you wrote a pretty please letter to the king and he knighted you. Did you get an A on your paper. Fu(k him.

Good luck is right. So you wrote a pretty please letter to the king and he knighted you. Did you get an A on your paper. Fu(k him.

I did not write "pretty please" or grovel in any way in my letter. Of course in an ideal world it would be just like New Hampshire, can buy a handgun whenever you want and then get the carry license easily, but that's not the kind of state we live in so you gotta work within the system. It doesn't help to go in and start bringing up the 2nd amendment and demand he recognize your rights, since from his perspective he's the boss and he is "responsible" for giving out the LTCs to those who deserve him. It may be bullshit but showing up to your meeting with a chip on your shoulder is not going to help you in the end. Fact is, if he wanted to he could be just like Boston and tell me i didn't demonstrate "proper purpose." Or we could live in New York City or ****ing England or something. Take your pick. Its bullshit, of course I agree, but we're not the ones holding the cards so it helps to "play their game" to get what we want.

At the very least, by playing by their game, abiding by their "rules" and getting our guns the "right" way we can increase our numbers and gradually chip away at the Sandy Hoax-style "gunz R bad" mindset, and shift the culture back in our direction. If you're just going to approach it with a "**** you, muh second amendment" attitude, you might as well pick up your glock from jamal on the corner and be done with it.

I am very, very far from being a bootlicker, but I'm not about to "reveal my hand" and tell "Officer Friendly" whats really on my mind.

I did not write "pretty please" or grovel in any way in my letter. Of course in an ideal world it would be just like New Hampshire, can buy a handgun whenever you want and then get the carry license easily, but that's not the kind of state we live in so you gotta work within the system. It doesn't help to go in and start bringing up the 2nd amendment and demand he recognize your rights, since from his perspective he's the boss and he is "responsible" for giving out the LTCs to those who deserve him. It may be bullshit but showing up to your meeting with a chip on your shoulder is not going to help you in the end. Fact is, if he wanted to he could be just like Boston and tell me i didn't demonstrate "proper purpose." Or we could live in New York City or ****ing England or something. Take your pick. Its bullshit, of course I agree, but we're not the ones holding the cards so it helps to "play their game" to get what we want.

At the very least, by playing by their game, abiding by their "rules" and getting our guns the "right" way we can increase our numbers and gradually chip away at the Sandy Hoax-style "gunz R bad" mindset, and shift the culture back in our direction. If you're just going to approach it with a "**** you, muh second amendment" attitude, you might as well pick up your glock from jamal on the corner and be done with it.

I am very, very far from being a bootlicker, but I'm not about to "reveal my hand" and tell "Officer Friendly" whats really on my mind.
Work within the system. Soon you will not be able to work within the system. Little by little they keep taking it way. Soon, it will be....HEY, but I followed all the rules. And now you have nothing.

I too met with the new somerville licensing officer recently as a first time applicant, and I received my unrestricted LTC about 30 days later. I wrote a pretty nice letter, a little more than a page single spaced, briefly went over my knowledge of firearms and emphasized how I wanted it for protection and to be responsible citizen, even if just for that infinitesimally small chance of something happening. I thanked him at the end for doing his job for the community, etc. It was definitely a well crafted letter that I worked for a while on for a while. My meeting was super brief, he went over the importance of keeping it safe and I agreed with him, he talked about how he takes his job in firearms licensing seriously, and I emphasized how its all about everyone doing there part to be responsible.

Could you provide a little more detail about your letter? I need to help my wife finalize her letter this weekend before her interview and any tips or ideas about good items to cover would be appreciated.

-------------
Wife had her interview. It went fine. He apparently talked about 1 yr residency being his comfort line on issuing non restricted. (We are just over that). He also gave a speech on safety and responsibilities when having a gun. So looks like it went good for the city.

Last edited:

Having to do a dog and pony show and basically kiss the guy's ass is NEVER "reasonable". That said I am glad you were able to work the system and get the license you desired.

-Mike

That is quite flawed reasoning, as his position portends that he expects long-time Somerville residents to only carry in Somerville, or further, that a person would be willing to move to Somerville simply to obtain an unrestricted LTC. Neither logical position stands up to scrutiny.

Wasn't the winter hill gang from Somerville? Just saying

So when the wife and I got back from traveling over Christmas the card was in our mail. So about 7 weeks after the appt she had her license (no restrictions) in hand.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I hope to be getting mine shortly and will update people on my experience after it's over. I've been a homeowner in Somerville for almost three years so I imagine that will help.

Wasn't the winter hill gang from Somerville? Just saying
Screen-Shot-2015-03-16-at-2.44.38-PM-777x437.png

Back
Top Bottom