NH Gun Line & New Law Firm Opening In Concord, NH (February 2021)

Just listened to a podcast through FB that was linked via Shooters Outpost. Sean List, an attorney in Manchester was interviewed. He drafted legislation for NH to abolish the Gun Line via Bob Guida.

Sean mentioned that he represents dealers and individuals dealing with 2A issues. At the end of the broadcast, he mentioned that he will be part of a new firm (Lehman, Major, List) opening in Concord, NH in February (of 2021). I've heard mixed reviews about Penny Dean (no personal experience) and it sounds as if List is knowledgeable about firearms laws in NH and at the Federal level.

As in eliminating State of NH involvement in NICS background checks. When the Sate of NH has excuses about staff shortages, technical limitations, etc., FFL transfers are delayed. Defaulting to the Feds is no more risky than it has ever been, as any changes to NICS laws would pass onto State of NH as well.

Under the new policy, the “gun line” will only investigate a delayed status for a maximum of 88 days, which is in line with federal standards. After that period, requests still pending will expire and be purged from the system. The new procedures also state the goal of the Permits and Licensing Unit shall be to perform an “instantaneous” check in no less than 90 percent of commercial handgun purchases.

Commissioner Quinn wrote he considered transferring the responsibility for conduction background checks to the FBI, as some demanded, but decided against it. “State law prohibits firearm sales to individuals under an ex parte domestic violence protective order,” Quinn wrote. “Federal law only restricts firearm sales in such instances after the person received actual notice and an opportunity to participate in a hearing.” To follow state law, Quinn said, the state must continue to act as the partial point of contact, saying it “benefits public safety.”

1) So, just deny a sale for 88 days and then expunge it and make the person go through it all over again. 2) Under Federal law, the person has to receive notice and have a hearing (according to the article). Not good enough for our Commish, apparently.

I'm surprised there isn't already a class action lawsuit. It took over 24 hours for my last pistol purchase a few weeks ago. It seems like a "backdoor" waiting period.

I've heard mixed reviews about Penny Dean (no personal experience)

I've no "legal" experience with her either though I have met her a couple of times...not real impressed and every time her name comes up in gun owner's circles the question is almost always raised, "Has she ever won a case"? It would give me pause to retain her.

I've no "legal" experience with her either though I have met her a couple of times...not real impressed and every time her name comes up in gun owner's circles the question is almost always raised, "Has she ever won a case"? It would give me pause to retain her.
She has a huge win in the area of restoration of rights.

She has a huge win in the area of restoration of rights.

That would be a great win for her....I didn't see her name in the article (I only scanned it quickly so I may have missed it).

Sean List

tS4pognsohrSeSd ·

The Gun Line Repeal Bill (SB 141) just passed out of the Judiciary Committee- 3 to 2. The anti-gun Democrats opposed. I hope that NHFC rethinks its position on this Bill now that it is apparent they took the same side as the liberal anti-gunners.
On to a floor vote!

Sean List

tS4pognsohrSeSd ·

The Gun Line Repeal Bill (SB 141) just passed out of the Judiciary Committee- 3 to 2. The anti-gun Democrats opposed. I hope that NHFC rethinks its position on this Bill now that it is apparent they took the same side as the liberal anti-gunners.
On to a floor vote!
When has NHFC opposed repealing the Gun Line?

It's always been Susan Olsen and her groups that were opposed, and they oppose anything that NHFC supports.

When has NHFC opposed repealing the Gun Line?

It's always been Susan Olsen and her groups that were opposed, and they oppose anything that NHFC supports.
There was a Facebook live hosted by shooters outpost with Sean List and Dave Wheeler. Wheeler strongly opposed repeal of the gun line. I can’t find it so it may have been taken down. Wheeler claimed people who are state prohibited due to temporary domestic violence orders are not federally prohibited and fbi won’t deny. So the question is why is NH prohibiting people who are not federal prohibite? As for Susan Olsen and her people, in the February 16 hearing bob clegg supported repeal of the gun line. As did NRA, GOA and NSSF along with many dealers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-ik_DEJXI

strange times for sure but the gun line needs to go into extinction like dinosaurs. People s not have to wait days or weeks to get a pistol.

Holy Fuddville! (FFL holder) David Simkin from Nashua AND Penny Dean both trying to get the bill listed as ITL. Simkin telling the committee that vets with High Level Security Clearances are more likely to be denied an approval (delayed). Really? Moron hasn't figured out that NH DOS uses NICS anyway. Penny Dean claiming that people can get answer quickly from the NH Gun Line (although their website specifically states an answer within 14 days). :rolleyes: 1:32:00 to 1:58:00. Another "FFL" Blackton/Blackdon said "What if they close down NICS and the NH Line?" Who will we call for handguns. Duh, again, if NICS is shut down, the NH Line won't work. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There was a Facebook live hosted by shooters outpost with Sean List and Dave Wheeler. Wheeler strongly opposed repeal of the gun line. I can’t find it so it may have been taken down. Wheeler claimed people who are state prohibited due to temporary domestic violence orders are not federally prohibited and fbi won’t deny. So the question is why is NH prohibiting people who are not federal prohibite? As for Susan Olsen and her people, in the February 16 hearing bob clegg supported repeal of the gun line. As did NRA, GOA and NSSF along with many dealers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-ik_DEJXI

strange times for sure but the gun line needs to go into extinction like dinosaurs. People s not have to wait days or weeks to get a pistol.

Excellent link! Thank you for that. Had to go to Youtube to watch it, but nice to be able to hear the actual hearing!

@KBCraig
AFAIK, NHFC took the position that the Gun Line needed to be fixed and then invested time to make calls to change the response time from days to minutes. The phone calls are better. The fax line still needs work.

@KBCraig
AFAIK, NHFC took the position that the Gun Line needed to be fixed and then invested time to make calls to change the response time from days to minutes. The phone calls are better. The fax line still needs work.
According to the testimony given, it is "temporarily" fixed by pulling 8 troopers off of the road. As soon as the pressure is off, they will slack off again. The biggest complaint was that DV info isn't entered due to the system needing a DOB. However, as was also mentioned, that information isn't entered into the system until the recipient is served anyway. At which point the serving officer can obtain a birthdate or other identifying information. Just repeal the POC and go straight through NICS. Save us the money and time.

According to the testimony given, it is "temporarily" fixed by pulling 8 troopers off of the road. As soon as the pressure is off, they will slack off again. The biggest complaint was that DV info isn't entered due to the system needing a DOB. However, as was also mentioned, that information isn't entered into the system until the recipient is served anyway. At which point the serving officer can obtain a birthdate or other identifying information. Just repeal the POC and go straight through NICS. Save us the money and time.
and why is NH prohibiting people on temp DV orders that are not prohibited federally?

The Lautenberg Act... The act bans shipment, transport, possession, ownership, and use of guns or ammunition by individuals convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence, or who are under a restraining (protection) order for domestic abuse that falls within the criteria set by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8). The 1968 Gun Control Act and subsequent amendments had previously prohibited anyone convicted of a felony and anyone subject to a domestic violence protective order from possessing a firearm.

I know for a fact that TRO's are entered into the system and can be checked. That was back in 2005 and the system had been improved significantly. That statement doesn't make any sense.

My FFL reports much faster turnaround however it is no doubt because they are desperately trying to save it by pulling troopers off the road. I heard it was 12 not 8.

The Lautenberg Act... The act bans shipment, transport, possession, ownership, and use of guns or ammunition by individuals convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence, or who are under a restraining (protection) order for domestic abuse that falls within the criteria set by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(8). The 1968 Gun Control Act and subsequent amendments had previously prohibited anyone convicted of a felony and anyone subject to a domestic violence protective order from possessing a firearm.

I know for a fact that TRO's are entered into the system and can be checked. That was back in 2005 and the system had been improved significantly. That statement doesn't make any sense.
Correct... sort of ex parte temp orders don’t federally prohibited see this at the link you supplied

(A)
was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had an opportunity to participate;

Back
Top Bottom