New Laptop

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My 2012 vintage G73 is on its last legs.
I’m looking at a new laptop of similar quality, so I’ll take your inputs on what any of you are running.
I’m not against downsizing to a 15” but it’s not preferred.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
whatever you do, don't buy one with a rotational drive.

make sure whatever processor you're buying is the latest generation. And 8th generation i5 is faster than a 7th generation i7

don't skimp on RAM, 8GB is the minimum, 16 is better

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
whatever you do, don't buy one with a rotational drive.

make sure whatever processor you're buying is the latest generation. And 8th generation i5 is faster than a 7th generation i7

don't skimp on RAM, 8GB is the minimum, 16 is better
I think my i7 is a second gen? so anything will be blazing by comparison.
And yeah I’m planning on 16GB Ram since I’ll be doing some matlab and possibly Microwave Office plots with it.
I’m thinking 512 SSD with an external 2TB

76Too

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hurts laying out this much on something not firearm related though...
...heaven forbid, lol. I’m admittedly in the same boat though.

Can we assume you’re a computer gamer? If not, there are really excellent options in the $500-$900 range by Asus/Lenovo/HP.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
My son has been running his ROG strix for a few years now. They make good stuff that seems to keep up.
I’ve upgraded his 2 internal drives twice now for more space and upgraded memory once. So far the graphics card has kept up.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
...heaven forbid, lol. I’m admittedly in the same boat though.

Can we assume you’re a computer gamer? If not, there are really excellent options in the $500-$900 range by Asus/Lenovo/HP.
I haven’t recently as my current laptop doesn’t keep up as well as it used to. I’ve mainly been on consoles but I would like the option since it looks like MS is making their games playable on both console and PC with one purchase (assuming I read that right). A laptop is much easier than schlepping a console on vacation.

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lenovo ThinkPad T490s is well-reviewed and a nice machine for about $1000. I think its a 14 inch screen but the quality is nice. It also has a very nice keyboard.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t recently as my current laptop doesn’t keep up as well as it used to. I’ve mainly been on consoles but I would like the option since it looks like MS is making their games playable on both console and PC with one purchase (assuming I read that right). A laptop is much easier than schlepping a console on vacation.
Are you referring to "Play Anywhere" or something newer? I haven't been keeping up on those things, but would be interested if there is a new, universal cross platform solution. Play Anywhere was a good concept, but limited to just the titles under that badge.

As for a laptop, I'll just throw out there that whatever you get, don't get a 2 in 1 unless you really require tablet use as a primary function. I bought into the Surface Pro hype back when the SP3 was new. I have almost never used the stylus in any meaningful way and regret not having something that can be used comfortably on a lap (surprising how often that comes up for me). I'm sure there are people out there who love that form factor, but I regret this purchase every time I pick it up.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’m thinking this might be the path I take.
ASUS ROG Strix Hero III G731GW-XB74 - Micro Center
so the reason you'd buy that is if you want to take it somewhere (not just home) and be able to play the latest games with ray tracing turned on. It's got a $400 video card for that purpose. If you're gonna mostly do this at home just get a docking station and connect a 24 or 27" monitor. Also consider a desktop or an Intel NUC, they even have gaming ones which are pretty cool.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
so the reason you'd buy that is if you want to take it somewhere (not just home) and be able to play the latest games with ray tracing turned on. It's got a $400 video card for that purpose. If you're gonna mostly do this at home just get a docking station and connect a 24 or 27" monitor. Also consider a desktop or an Intel NUC, they even have gaming ones which are pretty cool.
I’ll also be using it for graduate courses too. I won’t be using the video card for class but there will likely be matlab scripts with a large amount of data that’ll be needed to be run.
If I can get another 9 years out of it like I did my current pc I’ll be happy. The beefy video card will just help last longer.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’ll also be using it for graduate courses too. I won’t be using the video card for class but there will likely be matlab scripts with a large amount of data that’ll be needed to be run.
If I can get another 9 years out of it like I did my current pc I’ll be happy. The beefy video card will just help last longer.
I don't think putting a power hungry hot video card in a laptop will make it last longer.

saying you need a powerful gaming laptop to run Matlab is like saying you need a 911 Turbo to outrun the neighbor's poodle. By all means get the 911, but the reasoning is a bit suspect.

lot of options here, customize with what you need, and they also sell MSI and Sager laptops which are also good. Sager used to make laptops for Apple, not sure who makes them now:

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think putting a power hungry hot video card in a laptop will make it last longer.

saying you need a powerful gaming laptop to run Matlab is like saying you need a 911 Turbo to outrun the neighbor's poodle. By all means get the 911, but the reasoning is a bit suspect.

lot of options here, customize with what you need, and they also sell MSI and Sager laptops which are also good. Sager used to make laptops for Apple, not sure who makes them now:
Really depends on what you doing with it. There are people out there doing some rather complex stuff utilizing parallel or GPU computing with Quadro cards.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know - but I did Matlab on . . . I don't even know, whatever was a hot computer in 1990. [laugh]
It can scale, but the more advanced stuff does require some muscle, and the cutting edge stuff requires industrial computing like the GPU processing I mentioned. I think people are even using CUDA now.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Are you really planning on putting this in a backpack and carrying it around? 17" gaming laptops are a lot to lug back and forth.
I'd go with 15" if you plan to actually be mobile.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
HP EliteBooks are pretty sweet. I buy a bunch for work (well north of 100 per year) and have very very low failure rates. Less then 1%. MS Surfaces, on the other hand, failure rate after 3 years of service is closer to 15%. So stay the f*** away from them.
I love my surface pro 4, no issues yet. Runs Solidworks 2017 nicely. I'd definitely buy again.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last ASUS laptop kept having keyboard key failures. But I was gaming, SC2 at 200+ apm. The w key died on the original and replacement keyboards.

I'd imagine if you don't beat on the same key a thousand times a night, it will probably last longer. I'd like to see a different keyboard type before I buy another laptop for gaming. Then again, I don't play SC2 much anymore.

I forget what model this one is, 2014 vintage G series.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My last ASUS laptop kept having keyboard key failures. But I was gaming, SC2 at 200+ apm. The w key died on the original and replacement keyboards.

I'd imagine if you don't beat on the same key a thousand times a night, it will probably last longer. I'd like to see a different keyboard type before I buy another laptop for gaming. Then again, I don't play SC2 much anymore.

I forget what model this one is, 2014 vintage G series.
If gaming at home why not using a docking station, mechanical keyboard and big monitor?

I always have a crappy work laptop but never bought one for home. Prefer desktops.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Intel's new gaming mini PC at CES 2020. Pretty cool cause the CPU is upgradeable and it'll take desktop graphics card, but the box is 10" long and 4" wide.

09B226EE-B149-4862-85C4-56C7F19F1477.jpeg604D6155-727B-4935-A949-5907D3959B33.png

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Then why are you buying a laptop? Laptops suck for TCO/cost, especially for gaming. Especially these types of laptops, a lot of them are ghetto rigs.

Food for thought- if you had built a normal i7 gaming rig in 2012, you would just be swapping out a GPU and maybe adding storage, and you'd be
done... and not have to shell out $1600 to upgrade.

I'll go back to my cave now. [laugh]

-Mike

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Then why are you buying a laptop? Laptops suck for TCO/cost, especially for gaming. Especially these types of laptops, a lot of them are ghetto rigs.

Food for thought- if you had built a normal i7 gaming rig in 2012, you would just be swapping out a GPU and maybe adding storage, and you'd be

-Mike
You make a valid point. But with my current living situation I don’t have the space to dedicate to a tower and monitor. They are relatively over priced but for now it is what it is.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Are you really planning on putting this in a backpack and carrying it around? 17" gaming laptops are a lot to lug back and forth.
I'd go with 15" if you plan to actually be mobile.
I’ve carried around this one for 8 years, and I have a bag big enough. This new one is half the weight so it’s all good.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I last January built an amd desktop (32gb ram ryzen 5 2600 and reused Nvidia 1050ti. ) Total cost was maybe $420 out of pocket and I spurlged on the Mobo. (This was to replace my previous little used desktop built in 2010)

I've worked with a maxed out T480 and a Dell top end precision laptop in the last few months and the desktop flat out stomps them all on daily grind tasks. And I can boot into winblows 10 and play some games occasionally too!

I may be grabbing a refurb t480 or something similar with USB C ports soon as a back up /mobile work box, but I won't be without a desktop again after how well this one has done.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

-Mike
Not to kick Darth while he's down but my 2012 home build i5 is still running great. Have added a second SSD drive and it could use a new video card but doesn't really need it for anything I play. Getting the quiet case (Corsair) was the best move I made - you can barely hear it.

Top Bottom