• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Keltec, Sub 2000, 1st time out

turbo38gn

NES Member
Ok, so I hit Culverines Firearms in Feeding Hills a couple weeks ago to pick up a transfer I had come in. While hangin and BSing, checking out guns, I mess around with a new Gen 2 sub 2000 and really liked it. Having owned an older Gen 1, I love the upgrades on this. The handguard, sights, upper lock back are all awesome. The one I was playing with was a 40sw caliber, right up my alley, cause I carry a 40 Shield. So bam... I ask Walt if I can put it on layaway till I can get back with the cash, done deal. While hangin there, FedEx comes in with a box, turns out to be 2 more sub 2000's in 9mm, glock 17 mags.

So we take one out and play with it, this one is olive drab green... I like it a lot to.. long story short, I tell Walt, put that one in the vault next to the 40tay... I know, I'm a bad addict.. need to go to meetings. One of the guys there, when I first walked in, really got interested in the subs when I was checking them out, mentioned he really wanted a 40 after I put it on hold. When I was leaving, I told him and Walter, if he really wanted the 40tay, he can have it, I'll take the 9 and just call when he gets another 40tay in.. 1\2 hr later Walt calls me, the kid took the 40tay!! hehe, felt a little sad, cause I also have a Glock 22 with mags that will work with the 40tay... need to get Glock 17 mags for the 9mm..

Now to the review, I'll keep it quick and simple. Out of the box at the range, I spent the last week, collecting extra HC mags, loaded up and ready to go. I pull up, there's like 4 young guys there shooting their guns, nice bunch of guys I recognize as members. As soon as I open my little bag and unfold my Sub, all of them are all over it... they had all kinds of plastic bottles and other things out on the range, they tell me to go ahead and blast away. I start off by nailing a bunch of busted up clays on the berm, daaaamn, seems to be pretty accurate, so off I go to just nailing the bottles and anything else I could hit... the little POS is a daamn tack driver out of the box, I hand it over to the boyz, I could tell they all wanted some.. what a blast we had, everyone of them loved it, everyone of them wanted to know where I got it, it was amazingly fun. So from the standpoint of going to the range to train or practice... this was strictly a function test and a fun hour at the range. All I can say is I can't wait to go back with this little carbine and do it all over again.

If you ever wanted a compact pistol caliber carbine.... don't hesitate.... this is the one!!!!! Can't wait for the 40tay to get in... pics coming.. I go on from my cell to dwnld em..

637ecb905865d1546895015edf35f562.jpg

3e4d58570254cf1b89d31d2e964dce4c.jpg

258a959cbbc17199417a530f883e8115.jpg

Last edited:
Sweeeeeet, I picked up mine Thursday but haven't been out yet but seems like it will be Fun, and since 9mm is cheap that's a Plus. Now to see what Mods they have for it.
also I did try my Preban U And Square Notch G19 Mags and U wont fit.

Last edited:
Sweeeeeet, I picked up mine Thursday but haven't been out yet but seems like it will be Fun, and since 9mm is cheap that's a Plus. Now to see what Mods they have for it

I plan on trying a red dot on the side of the handguard, easy to still close without removing it. Also, the front site comes off really easy if one wanted to do something different, has a threaded barrel also. I forgot to mention a couple of minor mods I did yesterday morning before hitting the range. One of my preban mags wouldn't seat far enough in the grip to lock in. The butt plate on the mag was hitting the bottom of the grip. So I went in with a dremel, took some material off the mag opening, good to go now. I noticed on my G22, a lot more material was removed there. Also, the bottom of the plastic trigger was really sharp so I went in with a small flat file, good as new now. I was using 124gr ammo, going to try 115 next time..

Ok, so I hit Culverines Firearms in Feeding Hills a couple weeks ago to pick up a transfer I had come in. While hangin and BSing, checking out guns, I mess around with a new Gen 2 sub 2000 and really liked it. Having owned an older Gen 1, I love the upgrades on this. The handguard, sights, upper lock back are all awesome. The one I was playing with was a 40sw caliber, right up my alley, cause I carry a 40 Shield. So bam... I ask Walt if I can put it on layaway till I can get back with the cash, done deal. While hangin there, FedEx comes in with a box, turns out to be 2 more sub 2000's in 9mm, glock 17 mags.

So we take one out and play with it, this one is olive drab green... I like it a lot to.. long story short, I tell Walt, put that one in the vault next to the 40tay... I know, I'm a bad addict.. need to go to meetings. One of the guys there, when I first walked in, really got interested in the subs when I was checking them out, mentioned he really wanted a 40 after I put it on hold. When I was leaving, I told him and Walter, if he really wanted the 40tay, he can have it, I'll take the 9 and just call when he gets another 40tay in.. 1\2 hr later Walt calls me, the kid took the 40tay!! hehe, felt a little sad, cause I also have a Glock 22 with mags that will work with the 40tay... need to get Glock 17 mags for the 9mm..

Now to the review, I'll keep it quick and simple. Out of the box at the range, I spent the last week, collecting extra HC mags, loaded up and ready to go. I pull up, there's like 4 young guys there shooting their guns, nice bunch of guys I recognize as members. As soon as I open my little bag and unfold my Sub, all of them are all over it... they had all kinds of plastic bottles and other things out on the range, they tell me to go ahead and blast away. I start off by nailing a bunch of busted up clays on the berm, daaaamn, seems to be pretty accurate, so off I go to just nailing the bottles and anything else I could hit... the little POS is a daamn tack driver out of the box, I hand it over to the boyz, I could tell they all wanted some.. what a blast we had, everyone of them loved it, everyone of them wanted to know where I got it, it was amazingly fun. So from the standpoint of going to the range to train or practice... this was strictly a function test and a fun hour at the range. All I can say is I can't wait to go back with this little carbine and do it all over again.

If you ever wanted a compact pistol caliber carbine.... don't hesitate.... this is the one!!!!! Can't wait for the 40tay to get in... pics coming.. I go on from my cell to dwnld em..

637ecb905865d1546895015edf35f562.jpg

3e4d58570254cf1b89d31d2e964dce4c.jpg

258a959cbbc17199417a530f883e8115.jpg

I have the gen 1, and damn you cause the od green is so good looking I might have to get a new one!

I plan on trying a red dot on the side of the handguard, easy to still close without removing it. Also, the front site comes off really easy if one wanted to do something different, has a threaded barrel also. I forgot to mention a couple of minor mods I did yesterday morning before hitting the range. One of my preban mags wouldn't seat far enough in the grip to lock in. The butt plate on the mag was hitting the bottom of the grip. So I went in with a dremel, took some material off the mag opening, good to go now. I noticed on my G22, a lot more material was removed there. Also, the bottom of the plastic trigger was really sharp so I went in with a small flat file, good as new now. I was using 124gr ammo, going to try 115 next time..

They sell a hand guard that turns sideways. Forget the name but it's out there, perfect for a scope.

What happened to the other OD green G17 model they had? [wink] [smile]
You need these Jack. TT +6 extensions in OD. The green isn't even close to their ad pic. though. More of grey/green. I already called them on it. Supposedly, they're changing the picture on their site.

The BGE is also mandatory.

4ef5690a341692b6a25b788a80ee83a4.jpg

555b419bfb426d6d69f87eb01f6dd01d.jpg

Last edited:
What happened to the other OD green G17 model they had? [wink] [smile]

Hahaha..... daaaamn... I can't imagine.... did you get out yet... I'm thinking of loading up another couple hundred rounds and heading to the range... but the wife isn't moving off her couch... Nascar for the next 3 hrs then a dinner date..

Hahaha..... daaaamn... I can't imagine.... did you get out yet... I'm thinking of loading up another couple hundred rounds and heading to the range... but the wife isn't moving off her couch... Nascar for the next 3 hrs then a dinner date..
Lol. I was updating my post with pics. while you were typing apparently. No, I've been devoting a lot of range time to teaching my son with all my .22's lately. They need love too. [laugh] I'll introduce him to the sub 2k very soon.
Thanks again.

I've had mine for about 8 years. It lives in my car as a trunk gun, with 3- 33rd glock mags. The tough part is remembering to take it out on the days that I'm working in Mass or NY. If Mass didn't make getting a no-res a pain in the ass, I'd only have to worry about the 1/2 day every other month that I work the Pokipsy area

looks cool and handy, is this a go to rifle when its life or death?

I would say No. Its a pistol caliber carbine. pistol calibers are fairly ineffective (unless you hit CNS) sweet range toy to utilize ammo and mags you may already have but not going to my go to choice.

I would say No. Its a pistol caliber carbine. pistol calibers are fairly ineffective (unless you hit CNS) sweet range toy to utilize ammo and mags you may already have but not going to my go to choice.

I don't know about that... Maybe if you're counting on a one shot stopping power hit, but dumping a high cap mag would be arguably more effective out of this than a regular pistol due to to better muzzle velocity. So, unless your argument is that pistols are completely useless for defensive purposes, then this wouldn't be any less effective than a Glock, or other 9mm. Sure it isn't the same as an AR, but still viable nonetheless.

I don't know about that... Maybe if you're counting on a one shot stopping power hit, but dumping a high cap mag would be arguably more effective out of this than a regular pistol due to to better muzzle velocity. So, unless your argument is that pistols are completely useless for defensive purposes, then this wouldn't be any less effective than a Glock, or other 9mm. Sure it isn't the same as an AR, but still viable nonetheless.

Oh yes better than a pistol for sure. but compared to other carbines. No way would it be my "go to"

Back
Top Bottom