New Jersey Gun Owners Aren’t Turning In Their Magazines Despite New Law

SFC13557

NES Member
"
New Jersey is a hostile place for gun owners. The progressive state is a big fan of gun control and continually works to pass more and more restrictive measures, even if those restrictions make no sense at all.

One of its most recent moves was to further restrict the magazine capacity of firearms.

There are a few ways to hold onto your magazines, but the idea is to make it so people will turn them in to authorities.

Well, that’s not happening. Instead, gun owners are getting creative."

As the state’s largest gun group challenges the constitutionality of the law, gun owners have had to get creative with how they abide by the law.

Some gun owners have buried their large-capacity magazines in their backyard or behind sheetrock in their garage, said Eric Rebels, a local gun rights activist and owner of GunSitters, a secure firearms storage system company.

Others are opting to store them away from their homes.

“Thousands and thousands” of large-capacity magazines are stored currently at GunSitters in Whippany, where gun owners have handed over their large-capacity magazines, taking advantage of the storage option as litigation plays out, Rebels said. Some have turned over more than 100 magazines, which are held in a 3,000-square-foot steel vault.

The one thing Rebels said gun owners are not doing is handing their large-capacity magazines over to law enforcement, one of the choices state officials encouraged when the law went into effect.

A New Jersey State Police spokesman said not a single large-capacity magazine has been turned in since the law went into effect nearly nine months ago. Residents can also bring them to their local police departments."
NJ Gun Owners Aren't Turning In Their Magazines Despite New Law

magazines, another one of those things you can't prove ownership of. legislation at it's finest.

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.jpg

Ah New Jersey. Signed into law from a governor who, while running for office, promised his possible future constituents that he was raising taxes as "the right thing to do". Like the bump stock ban of Massachusetts, it appears as if the magazine ban bill was written by a 3rd grader. There is no offer of compensation for the formerly legally owned property.

They dont even try anymore

I'd like to see someone show up at the PD with a stack of Guns and Ammo magazines and say "I want to turn in my high capacity gun magazines, they all have over 30 pages" [laugh]
That would be funny - especially if you record video.

You may be found unsuitable, however.

The one thing Rebels said gun owners are not doing is handing their large-capacity magazines over to law enforcement, one of the choices state officials encouraged when the law went into effect.

A New Jersey State Police spokesman said not a single large-capacity magazine has been turned in since the law went into effect nearly nine months ago. Residents can also bring them to their local police departments.

“The law is mistargeted. It is not at all surprising to me (that no one has turned them over to State Police),” said Scott Bach, the executive director of the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, the organization who is challenging the constitutionality of the law.

“Thousands and thousands” of large-capacity magazines are stored currently at GunSitters in Whippany, where gun owners have handed over their large-capacity magazines, taking advantage of the storage option as litigation plays out, Rebels said. Some have turned over more than 100 magazines, which are held in a 3,000-square-foot steel vault.

In conjunction with County Line Firearms, a gun store in East Hanover where Rebels is a manager, they collect, catalogue and store as many large-capacity magazines as they can. It costs $1.25 per magazine a month to store it there.

The storage of the banned magazines is also helping to fund the lawsuit challenging the large-capacity magazine ban law. Rebels said 20 percent of the money through the storage program is going towards funding the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol’s lawsuit.

GunSitters® | Secure Firearm Storage | Storage for your firearms for any needs

I hope NJ gun owners keep their mags.

However, what makes gun sitters a legal alternative to store banned mags if you can't even store them at home?

How is it different from self storage?

The facility is still in NJ.

They're an FFL...

5. STORAGE OF NON-COMPLIANT MAGAZINES INSIDE NJ!!! This is one of the lesser-known, nonobvious
options under the new law. Unmodified magazines that hold between 11 and 15 rounds can be stored intact
for their owners by willing FFLs in New Jersey under the new law without modifying the magazines! For those wanting
either to await the outcome of a potential U.S. Supreme Court challenge, or who just need more time to decide what to
do with their magazines, this is an available option. It does require a willing, trustworthy, and organized FFL with
appropriate storage facilities, and the magazines must be properly transferred (see item 7 below for details) so they
are received by the dealer no later than December 10, 2018. Note: this storage option does NOT apply to magazines
over 15 rounds, which have been unlawful for civilians to possess since May of 1990.
One company, Gunsitters, LLC (www.gunsitters.com), has received pre-approval from the New Jersey State
Police for storage of magazines between 11 and 15 rounds under the new law through its affiliated FFLs. The
rate is $1.25 per month per magazine, and Gunsitters has pledged to donate .25 from each magazine storage
payment to ANJRPC’s lawsuit to overturn the magazine ban! ANJRPC is proud to support the Gunsitters
magazine storage program. Gunsitters exists for the purpose of firearms and accessory storage, and its program
not only allows for NJ-approved storage of intact newly banned magazines at an affordable rate, but also helps
fund the lawsuit to overturn the ban. Magazines must be shipped to Gunsitters, and Gunsitters has other specific
requirements for those desiring magazine storage in NJ. Please check out their program at www.njmagban.com,
or contact Gunsitters directly at [email protected] or 973-610-8600.

So when this becomes a big deal there's a nonsensical mass shooting in the same state. Pure coincidence.

"A New Jersey State Police spokesman said not a single large-capacity magazine has been turned in since the law went into effect nearly nine months ago."

*sniff* So proud of my fellow Jersey boys and girls. I didn't think they still had it in them. Of course, given that it has to go before a NEW JERSEY judge, not ONE of whom has a shred of honesty, they're screwed... but good on them, anyway.

No they don't. They don't have to. Once the leftist DimoCRAP cancer spreads enough, they are in charge and there is nothing we can do about it but resist the unconstitutional laws they put in place. [thinking]

"Thus, the particular phraseology of the Constitution of the United States confirms and strengthens the principle, supposed to be essential to all written Constitutions, that a law repugnant to the Constitution is void, and that courts, as well as other departments, are bound by that instrument."

SCOTUS Chief Justice John Marshall

Yeah, it's all about the principle and rights, but if I'm at a public range practicing, I'm not using banned hardware. Dry-fire practice with banned hardware, at home - who's really going to do that? I'd rather use a permanently-pinned 30rd mag that holds 10rd to practice live-fire. Just me...

"Thus, the particular phraseology of the Constitution of the United States confirms and strengthens the principle, supposed to be essential to all written Constitutions, that a law repugnant to the Constitution is void, and that courts, as well as other departments, are bound by that instrument."

I dare you to quote that in court as part of your defense. All that government paperwork you filled out puts you under the US Codes, which are the exact opposite of Constitutional (statutes being written by the Executive daily).

I dare you to quote that in court as part of your defense. All that government paperwork you filled out puts you under the US Codes, which are the exact opposite of Constitutional (statutes being written by the Executive daily).

I am WAY too pretty to go to jail, or worse, be murdered like Jose, so no.

I comply with the law as it is practiced (I have no post ban "assault weapons", etc) but will not stipulate that unconstitutional laws are valid. I'll observe it, but not respect it.

I'm too old and achy to lead the assault, but I will cheer and provide whatever support I can when younger bodies decide enough is enough and water the tree of liberty.

You're assuming those scribbles - along with those noises you are emitting - are called "words" and have meanings, which are understood and respected universally, including by the Donks. They're not.

You're assuming those scribbles - along with those noises you are emitting - are called "words" and have meanings, which are understood and respected universally, including by the Donks. They're not.

King George was not on board with the interpretation of natural law as understood by Adams, Jefferson, Franklin and company.

King George was not on board with the interpretation of natural law as understood by Adams, Jefferson, Franklin and company.
...but at least he was on-board with the King's English. The creatures we're encountering now are not, nor do they respect "white-man's logic" cuz Patriarchy, or something.

Back
Top Bottom