• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New iron curtain handgun list posted

are your effing kidding me? I scrolled to Walther and they are actually approving colors. Blued vs. two tone. Really? This chic it BSC.

I was looking forward to seeing the S&W Victory on the list at some point. When I bought my BG at Hunter's at the end of June, they said they had to ship them back as they won't be approved until sometime next year. It only a frikken .22!! I hate this state.

are your effing kidding me? I scrolled to Walther and they are actually approving colors. Blued vs. two tone. Really? This chic it BSC.

That's mfr stupidity. If metal isn't different then grips or colors shouldn't change any of the test results and they should merely list the basic model number not all the variations.

That's mfr stupidity. If metal isn't different then grips or colors shouldn't change any of the test results and they should merely list the basic model number not all the variations.

Also rather amusing how a handgun is considered "MA-compliant" essentially because the manufacturer says so. 100% arbitrary. I do find it rather interesting, however, that FNH has now listed their FNX 45. Perhaps this means they will be getting their other pistols onto the list. If the FNS-9 were on the list that would give shops another nice option for sales.

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking forward to seeing the S&W Victory on the list at some point. When I bought my BG at Hunter's at the end of June, they said they had to ship them back as they won't be approved until sometime next year. It only a frikken .22!! I hate this state.

that pistol is a POS. maybe it shoots well but anything with upper + lower held together by a giant screw, yeah count me out. the 22/45 or regular ruger MK 2/3 are superior.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed the Sig p320 in all calibers are on the list, wondering how long it will take until we see them on the shelves.

again this comes down to when Sig decides to manufacturer what they consider MA-compliant. it's on the list so just find one on GB or wherever and have a dealer transfer it to you. why wait until it's on the shelves. it's possibly the most impressive striker pistol since the G17.

good point...

IIRC, I think some mfrs were even dumb enough to submit inventory SKUs for approval. That means if they change the number of mags, add a holster, put a finger grip on the mag, etc. that new SKU isn't approved and they have to resubmit it (engineering equivalent letter would work, but they lose min. 3 months sales in MA) . . . all due to lack of understanding of how to submit products for approval. GCAB/EOPS approves what is given to them, they don't provide technical advice on how to submit.

Back in 1998 I had an interest in addressing this for the industry (as opposed to working with/for one or two mfrs) and approached two people from NSSF at two different times (Larry Keane was one of them) and got a luke warm lack of interest feeling, so I never pursued it further. I spent 12 years at DEC submitting products for product safety approval to US, Canadian and German testing agencies so had considerable experience that could have been useful.

So here we are, where a change in grip material will prevent marketing in MA without unneeded expense and considerable time.

Also rather amusing how a handgun is considered "MA-compliant" essentially because the manufacturer says so. 100% arbitrary. I do find it rather interesting, however, that FNH has now listed their FNX 45. Perhaps this means they will be getting their other pistols onto the list. If the FNS-9 were on the list that would give shops another nice option for sales.

that pistol is a POS. maybe it shoots well but anything with upper + lower held together by a giant screw, yeah count me out. the 22/45 or regular ruger MK 2/3 are superior.

You don't understand how the process works. Mfrs do not just declare their guns "MA compliant", they must submit samples to one of 5 (or so) MA EOPS approved testing labs for destructive testing. The lab results are submitted to GCAB for approval, but GCAB can only "recommend" to the Secretary of Public Safety, who eventually reviews GCAB requests and adds it to the next EOPS List published in the newspaper quarterly. It is the AG's "non-list" that the mfrs have to make their own claim of compliance, however this is only AFTER the EOPS List approval.

Don't know the handgun but if you don't trust guns with upper and lowers held together by screws, I guess you don't trust the AR-15 platform that is held together with 2 pins.

Call me a dick, but I'm beginning to think that if all gun companies, even the Fuddly ones, got together and unilaterally said "**** the balance sheet, we aren't going to sell to CA, NY, MA, CT, etc." it would light a big enough fire under the asses of Pro2A folks behind enemy lines to act on that constipated anger and frustration. Then, the 10/22 shooter who never aspired to have anything higher than an FID past the age of 21 would be in the same boat as the guy who loves ARs and AKs and other super Killy guns.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/approved-rosters/ lists 4 gun "Rosters"
-Approved Firearms Roster (hangun cartridges only)
-Formal Target Shooting Roster
-Large Capacity Firearms Roster (XM-15 is on the list as is an "AR15")
-Olympic Competition Firearms Roster

If that is true, does it supersede the LARGE CAPACITY WEAPONS ROSTER 02-2015? I'm guessing that the previously mentioned list is about to be deleted shortly.

No.

All of those lists are pretty much is independent of one another, and they exist for different reasons and purposes. Unless you're in the business of selling guns in MA, just do yourself a favor and just stop paying attention them. All of them. Because none of them actually matter. None of them actually control what you can legally buy in MA as an LTC-A holder. Those lists, for lack of a better explanation- are quite literally, not your responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me a dick, but I'm beginning to think that if all gun companies, even the Fuddly ones, got together and unilaterally said "**** the balance sheet, we aren't going to sell to CA, NY, MA, CT, etc." it would light a big enough fire under the asses of Pro2A folks behind enemy lines to act on that constipated anger and frustration. Then, the 10/22 shooter who never aspired to have anything higher than an FID past the age of 21 would be in the same boat as the guy who loves ARs and AKs and other super Killy guns.

This sounds rather optimistic to me. Keep in mind lawful gun owners in the states you list are in the very small minority. Single digit percentages in various areas. So even in the off chance that EVERY gun owner were to fight it, we would still probably lose.

In reality if every mfr said "screw the list" it would result in most FFL's shutting down, at least the bigger ones that depend largely on new handgun sales.

This sounds rather optimistic to me. Keep in mind lawful gun owners in the states you list are in the very small minority. Single digit percentages in various areas. So even in the off chance that EVERY gun owner were to fight it, we would still probably lose.

In reality if every mfr said "screw the list" it would result in most FFL's shutting down, at least the bigger ones that depend largely on new handgun sales.

It is optimistic, but gun owners are fractious. The duck hunters don't really give a shit about the black rifle guys and vice versa.

I still believe the best answer is to abandon those aforementioned hellholes.

Nobody would give a shit, because of the way the laws work the guns would just take a circuitous route to the consumers in MA and cost 10-20% more and that would be the end of it. Most gun manufacturers don't sell factory direct to consumer via FFL. (Maybe Barrett and others do, but you can do that with a $10,000 rifle. )

Most of the fuddlys don't even have anything remotely approaching a 10/22. It's a few O/Us and maybe a muzzleloader, maybe a pump shotgun. You're not going to motivate that bottom trough of fudds... if some guy from the .gov walked up to them with a big check for their shit they'd hand it over in about 10 seconds flat.

-Mike

Not really, because, as an MA dealer, you'd still be able to sell/transfer guns on the list. And EOPS will not remove guns from the list, either. (Ruger actually tried to do this, for some ****ing stupid ****ed up reason, ****ing idiots. ) So unless a gunmaker stops making a bunch of guns, there's not a huge impact to actual sales. Also even if the manufacturer "no MA sales edict" get down to the mid level distributors MA gun dealers would just buy from someone further down the food chain, which of course increases the price of the product. His entire idea would basically cause the "can to get kicked down the road" and not much more. MA doesn't see that many new handguns added to that list. Hell there are like maybe 10 guns in 5+ years that I can think of that got put on that list that are remotely interesting.

-Mike

I noticed the Sig p320 in all calibers are on the list, wondering how long it will take until we see them on the shelves.

I saw this on the list for several different calibers, but only see the 45 with a 10 round mag. is the Sig website just not current?

I saw this on the list for several different calibers, but only see the 45 with a 10 round mag. is the Sig website just not current?

Pretty sure if one can be sold, they all can. After all the "Firearm" is just the trigger pack. The rest is just parts and under MGL, its not a gun until it is capable of firing.

Back
Top Bottom