New indoor range in Tyngsborough?

dEX

My wife just told me they're building an indoor range in Tyngsborough. Anyone have any info on it?

Hmmm, your wife, maybe ?

Har Har Har.

I heard it was going in on Westford road, down the street from the sportsmen's club. There is a huge clearing there, and it extends back to the the new Sportscenter, which is accessible on Potash hill road.
I also heard it was to be off Progress ave, which is off Cummings road, just off Exit 35.
I was an idiot, I was in the building dept last spring and I heard chatter about it, but didn't butt in and ask.
I'm sure you can pull up meeting minutes on the town website for selectman/building/appeals to see if there is anything in there.
Join the sportsmen's club. 24 hr access to indoor pistol range. it's never super busy in there.

My wife just told me they're building an indoor range in Tyngsborough. Anyone have any info on it?

I heard something about it. I think it may be on that parcel to the right of comet diner, liquor store etc on westford road.

From Meeting minutes on town website. Search took 30 seconds. Cummings road. Over near Progress ave. Near the Charles George Superfund Dump/Solar Farm.

40 & 44 Cummings Rd. (M13, P18 & 20, L0) – Freedom Alley Shooting Sports, LLC,
applicant, request for a Site Plan and Business Use Special Permit for the construction of
a new 36,300 s.f. indoor gun range facility with classrooms, retail and office space; and a
5,000 s.f. shipping/receiving & storage building with associated utilities in an I-1 Zone.
Advertised in the Lowell Sun Thursday January 21, 2016 and Thursday January 28,
S. Nocco: Motion to waive the reading of the abutters list and legal notice.
S. O’Neill: 2
nd the motion
In Favor: 5 Opposed: 0
Passes: 5-0
Chairman T. Delmore offered the floor to Atty. Peter Nicosia. In turn, Atty. Nicosia introduced
the developer and applicant, Daniel Whitman and his team Paul Chisholm of Keach-Nordstrom
Assoc. Inc. and architect Mr. Kelly Davis of Port One Architects. Atty. Nicosia explained that
they were present for a site plan review. He explained that the team had been in coordination
with Board Engineer Rob Oliva and that Mr. Oliva's comments were still being addressed.
February 4, 2016
Page 2
APPROVED
The Board was informed that the proposed plan provided for the construction of two buildings
on the property at 40 & 44 Cummings Road. The larger 110’ x 330’ building would include 100
yard and 25 yard firing ranges, a retail sales area, a cafeteria, gym, classrooms, offices and
bathrooms. The smaller 5,000 s.f. building would include a shipping/receiving facility, gunsmith
shop and office space. The plans provide for a total of 77 parking spaces for the entire site.
S. Nocco asked about the 400' line of sight for driveway entrances. Mr. Chisholm offered that
measurements along Cummings Rd. indicated that the required line of sight was available
provided clearing was made at the roadside and along the stone walls.
S. O'Neill inquired as to the anticipated number of occupants at the facility, i.e. 26 firing range
bays plus operating personnel. Atty. Nicosia said that a business operation plan would be
provided and that events would be staggered to alleviate parking and other operational concerns.
It was noted that there are no regulations on parking for gun ranges; however, the retail operation
requires 39 parking spaces. The gun range operation anticipates 1 - 2 persons per firing bay, (26
bays x 2 persons per bay) 52 persons.
K. O'Brien asked about safety. Mr. Whitman explained that three Range Safety Officers would
be present during operations plus a Master Range Safety Officer. S. O'Neill inquired as to the
location of the lounges/cafeteria.
S. Nocco asked about noise levels and Mr. Davis explained the provisions for noise containment
and attenuation. He explained that the level of noise presented to patrons and neighbors would
be within the 70dB allowable level. He cited a box with 12" concrete walls and ceiling within
which the noise would be approximately 110-130dB. The 12" concrete wall is designed to
attenuate the noise at 68-70 stc, wich with the planned insulation and siding should result in 75-
80 dB of sound reduction, and result in sound levels to patrons and neighbors in the region of 60
dB.
K. O'Brien asked about the hours of operation. Mr. Whitman offered that he anticipated a seven
day a week operation from 10:00 A.M to 7:00 P.M.
T. Delmore asked if there would be firing in the gunsmith shop. The operation does not provide
for firing in the gunsmith shop. Mr. Davis explained the small building would be 1/2
shipping/receiving and storage and 1/2 gunsmith shop.
Mr. Chisholm referred to a comment by the Fire Department about hydrants and occupant egress
from the left side and rear of the building. The team would like to review the plan with the Fire
Department, hopefully resolving any concerns.
K. O'Brien inquired about dumpster locations. The locations were shown on the plan.
S. O'Neill asked about air conditioning locations. Mr. Davis responded that they were located on
the roofs and that on the larger building there were two different types. One unit services the
office spaces and he second addresses the ranges. The ranges require separate special units to
control air pressure and flow.
February 4, 2016
Page 3
APPROVED
T. Delmore inquired as to the design of the roofs. The design has changes from pitched roofs to
flat roofs. Mr. Chisholm spoke about the range having little traffic impact on the 10,000 vehicles
per day off of Route 113 10,000 or the 3400 vehicles per day off of the North Chelmsford
Dunstable Road.
C. Lambert asked about lead dust control within the building, and outside the firing ranges. Mr.
Davis responded that there would be a report provided which would address concerns about lead
control.
S. O'Neill asked about exterior lighting. Atty. Nicosia provided that all lighting was within bylaws.
Mr. Chisholm added that the exterior lighting would not project beyond the property, with
only one large exterior light to hang over the loading door.
T. Delmore asked if the proponents would address the remaining comments by engineer R. Oliva
and return at the earliest opportunity.
S. Nocco: Motion to continue the hearing for the Special Permit to February 18, 2016 at

Last edited:
hitme.jpg

Is it the same guy? Isn't he on this site? Someone hit him up.

Attachments

• hitme.jpg
    hitme.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Want to see the plans? They're on my desk at work.
100yd indoor range, a 360deg "shoot house". 25 & 50yd ranges. Kitchen, offices, " members only section " etc

Want to see the plans? They're on my desk at work.
100yd indoor range, a 360deg "shoot house". 25 & 50yd ranges. Kitchen, offices, " members only section " etc

Can you take a picture of them with a tiny camera, cold-war spy style, and smuggle them out?

Hope the sound control is better than the club. That was one loud range to shoot rimfire in.

Even with earphone type. I can't use earplugs in there. I learned my lesson after shooting my friends .44 mag lever action. I was ringing for two days after that. I live basically between the Tyngsboro and Lowell Sportsmen's clubs, It's nice to hear shots going off all weekend from two directions.

Even with earphone type. I can't use earplugs in there. I learned my lesson after shooting my friends .44 mag lever action. I was ringing for two days after that. I live basically between the Tyngsboro and Lowell Sportsmen's clubs, It's nice to hear shots going off all weekend from two directions.

I was speaking more of the new indoor range they built. Shot a few matches there and it was loud.

31JCAoD3wpL._SY355_.jpg

I'm all for it. I just hope it isn't only for LEO's. The "shoot house" sounds... "Not for Civiliansish"

Looks like the indoor gun range over the border in Hudson will have some competition. If this guy's prices suck, then I'm sure people will make the drive and save on sales tax.

Wow, I hope it comes true. I was just saying to friends Tyngsboro is perfect place for another indoor range to compete with Manchester one. I was looking into it and saw it takes a couple of Million to build it not to mention license and insurance.

Maybe dreams do come true.

I went by the site and it is under construction for sure.

Many of these indoor ranges shoot themselves in the foot by creating policies based on what they "need" rather than a reasonable market price. One range (not this one) has "only ammo bought from us may be used".

This one wants to collect both membership and range fees at the same time. Looking at the membership plans, they range from "$250/year and no discount on range fees" to "$1200 and free range time weekdays only, 50% off on weekends". It's like trying to milk the cow from two teats at once.

Maybe, I understand the place is owned by a Tyngsboro Leo
That doesn't bother me. I just want free and equal access. I would love a little shoot house training.
After all, the most likely scenario of a defensive discharge is in my home.
~Matt

Many of these indoor ranges shoot themselves in the foot by creating policies based on what they "need" rather than a reasonable market price. One range (not this one) has "only ammo bought from us may be used".

This one wants to collect both membership and range fees at the same time. Looking at the membership plans, they range from "$250/year and no discount on range fees" to "$1200 and free range time weekdays only, 50% off on weekends". It's like trying to milk the cow from two teats at once.
Yup, I just checked the website and a yearly membership plus range fees are a no go.

Mass Firearms is $199/year for an all-you-can-shoot membership, plus you can bring a guest for free.

Mass Firearms is $199/year for an all-you-can-shoot membership, plus you can bring a guest for free.

Good luck trying to get a lane on the weekend. No benefit to being a member. Plus it's usually a mess with lanes never swept up and questionable people shooting rentals they struggle to operate correctly.

I did enjoy it as a weeknight range but that's about it.

View attachment 200683

Is it the same guy? Isn't he on this site? Someone hit him up.

Yes, same guy, a Tyngsboro police officer. He was also "associated" with Blackwater: https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/246792-New-Gun-Shop-Tyngsboro

His NES page is here: https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/274436-Hitman-Firearms

One of his links to the Lowell PD: https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...gun-licenses?p=4892528&viewfull=1#post4892528

Back
Top Bottom