• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New hunting rifle :)

I am in the market for a new hunting rifle. I am currently using my fathers Remington 710 pump 30-06 with iron sites. It's a great rifle (very sentimentally attached to it) but its a bit heavy and the pump action makes noise if I move it. Which I feel has alerted more than one dear to my presence. I am using this as an excuse to get a new rifle. :)
I've settle on .308 as the caliber of choice.
So here is my dilemma. I live in upstate NY where the terrain is incredibly varied. I end up hunting in the deepest of bush, to the darkest of pine, and wide open field. I need to be able to kill the deer from 15yds to 200yds. Rare occasions to 300yds.
I would really like to get a Sako Finn lite but I had to force myself to come out of dream land and realize that I just can't afford it. So I looked at ruger but after doing much research I found a few things that I really didn't like. I looked at Remington 700, great gun, a little heavy for a woods gun.
I am currently looking at Remington model seven. I've looked briefly at a few Brownings. But I am leaning heavily towards the savage models 11/111.
I would like something very accurate or at least something I could make very accurate because I also love pushing myself at the bench as well.
What is everyones thoughts? I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for your help.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wn4lod

I have a Savage 270 WSM Weather Warrior with their brake. It's stainless in the synthetic stock. The glass is a Leupold VariXR in 3-9x50 I believe. I have dropped deer from 40 to 225 yards dead in their tracks during various light conditions with this kit.

They aren't pretty but are light, customizable and cheap... Stevens 200. All Savage model 10 parts and accessories fit (the actions are exactly the same).

All good recommendations. Anyone else miss the nice wood and finish of the older rifles? Now it is either cheap plastic, so-so wood, or you have to go very high end to get nice wood, and what ever happened to the nice white spacers? Anyhow, I'd love to see a picture of your 30-06. Why not at least stick with that caliber?

im with ^^^this guy...that is a really cool gun and I would love to see it! I agree, wood has fallen out of grace for plastic which is great and terrible. wood is my favorite.

Dom

I agree I love wood stocks too. I am debating about that as well. The question is when the rain starts falling what do you do? I try a protect my gun as much as possible in rain but sometimes it's just going to get wet. It would be nice to have something I didn't have to worry quite so much about. But then again a nice wood stock is a thing of beauty.

Ah the great 30-06 vs.308 question. I pondered this conundrum greatly. I researched and furrowed my brows in earnest over this. And what I came up with was....
I would be happy and pleased with whatever round I chose. Each would do the job with satisfaction.
Now after all of that hot air... :)
The reasons why I am leaning towards .308 is: it's is supposedly a little cheaper. A bit less kick. I like the idea of a shorter action.
If I did find a really sweet 30-06 I wouldn't let that stop me from getting it. I'll try and get a couple pics of it together soon.

I know you said you weren't happy over the Rugers but do me a favor and look at the 77's again. That compact would fit the situations you describe if you could find a caliber to suite you. But the full size is offered in a bunch of choices. My opinion, Rugers, a lot of gun for the money.

Take a look at the marlin xl7. They are good shooters and u can buy both calibers for the price of one of the others. It has the adjustable trigger like the savage I have three of them and they are all shooting less than 1.5 groups at 100 yds with stock ammo

I know you said you weren't happy over the Rugers but do me a favor and look at the 77's again. That compact would fit the situations you describe if you could find a caliber to suite you. But the full size is offered in a bunch of choices. My opinion, Rugers, a lot of gun for the money.

I haven't completely discounted the Rugers yet. I might just be over picky. I will have to spend some time looking it over in the shop before I bring it home. One of the reviews said the bolt would snag in the receiver as it was being opened unless the shooter lifted the bolt fully up then pulled straight back without applying any upward pressure. The reviewer stated the he had to do two distinct movements to get the bolt to move with out dragging or fighting, instead of one smooth movement. Which means its either a sloppy fit or a bad receiver bridge design. Who knows the gun that was being reviewed might just have been one out of a thousand. But being a machinist with experience as a tool maker that will bug the snot out of me.
The other thing that bugged me was that there receivers are investment cast. I need to double check this because I might be wrong on that. But if they are it's not necessarily a bad thing it's just not great. Who knows maybe all the guns made these days are made that way.

Is this for whitetails?

Swiss 1931 Carbine Schmidt Rubin K-31 7.5 Swiss Caliber
One of the more interesting Military Rifles of all time! These Rifles are world renowned for their Superior Accuracy. The unique straight pull bolt of the K-31 combined with outstanding Swiss craftsmanship make this Rifle highly sought after by Military enthusiasts and collectors alike. Only 500,000 K-31's were made and many are still in use by the Swiss in their annual Military exercises and marksmanship training. Due to the scarcity of the K-31 in the US market, most collectors have been unable to afford the few which have surfaced during the past few years. 7.5 Swiss ammo has been nearly impossible to find! The Rifles are available now and Surplus Ammo is on the way! Hurry, these Rifles will not last long! Very Good Metal, Fantastic Barrels, Wood shows some signs of wear.

Out of stock. We are looking for more.

WE HAVE AMMUNITION IN STOCK!

They are out of stock, but you may find one somewhere. People rave about the accuracy and quality of these.

.308 is a great caliber bc there are tons of options as far as loads for it. I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS in .308 and love it. I didn't get the tactical bc I'm hunting and didn't want to lug around the heavy barrel. Great gun and very accurate for my purposes of hunting but you could make a couple changes and have a real sniper rifle in your hands. And if you ever need any work done to it, any gunsmith should be familiar with it.

Back
Top Bottom