• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Hunter looking Hunting partner

I'm looking to see if anyone is looking for a hunting partner and could possibly show me the ropes. Looking to head out for Bear, turkey and deer. Have zone 10 antler less tag. More then willing to travel and learn. Thanks in advance.

Get out and scout the area you plan to hunt. You'll more than likely meet the same guys out in the woods/in the parking lot over and over. I've met most of my hunting buddies out scouting around.

Get out and scout the area you plan to hunt. You'll more than likely meet the same guys out in the woods/in the parking lot over and over. I've met most of my hunting buddies out scouting around.

I have been out to the bear and turkey spot I found. Haven't seen anyone scouting but I did see what looked like a possible spot someone had a tree stand. Hoping to seem people when bear season starts.

I usually hunt Zone 7. Plenty of land to hunt. I avoid public land like the plague during shotgun season though.

I hear zone 7 is nice to hunt, I had an offer to hunt there but the guy flaked so I'm on public land. The other private land I was offered is bow only so until next year it's a no go.

I have been out to the bear and turkey spot I found. Haven't seen anyone scouting but I did see what looked like a possible spot someone had a tree stand. Hoping to seem people when bear season starts.

When I get to a new area, I'll reach out on a local board and say Im new to the area and have a boat and good gear (duck hunting), and someone without said gear, but lots of knowledge, will reach out and we'll pool resources for a great hunt for both of us.

I've reached out everywhere I can at this point. Had several offers of help but only one of them has been serious. Looks like I'll have someone to go with for shotgun deer but solo for turkey and bear. Think people afraid of showing a new person their spot and sharing their secrets.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thats part of it I'm sure. Quality hunting spots are hard to come by. The last thing a guy wants is to be nice and take a fella out, and next thing you know, that once awesome secluded spot has a bunch of guys going there cause their buddy told them about this spot...........

I had an epic honey hole of a duck hunting spot that was walk in access, and 15 minutes from town. It was a closely guarded secret. I no kidding took one guy there regularly and made him wear a blindfold. When I moved from the area (military) I gave him my maps of the spots I hunted. Withing two years, talking to other buddies, word got out and that place got shut down because of traffic and slob hunters........the word got out and the spot ruined.

Thats part of it I'm sure. Quality hunting spots are hard to come by. The last thing a guy wants is to be nice and take a fella out, and next thing you know, that once awesome secluded spot has a bunch of guys going there cause their buddy told them about this spot...........

I had an epic honey hole of a duck hunting spot that was walk in access, and 15 minutes from town. It was a closely guarded secret. I no kidding took one guy there regularly and made him wear a blindfold. When I moved from the area (military) I gave him my maps of the spots I hunted. Withing two years, talking to other buddies, word got out and that place got shut down because of traffic and slob hunters........the word got out and the spot ruined.
I can understand that happening. I've found a bear and turkey spot whoever wants to join me can. I figured if I found the spot I'd be willing to use it. All I'm looking for is the other persons experience. For deer I'm cool going out of my zone. The odds are slimmer that I'd get a buck then a anterless and can't use my antlerless out if zone 10. Even that took a lot of effort to find someone but I think I did.

I can understand that happening. I've found a bear and turkey spot whoever wants to join me can. I figured if I found the spot I'd be willing to use it. All I'm looking for is the other persons experience. For deer I'm cool going out of my zone. The odds are slimmer that I'd get a buck then a anterless and can't use my antlerless out if zone 10. Even that took a lot of effort to find someone but I think I did.

You will find the answer to 99% of your questions on youtube. If you find someone make sure you two are on the same page. Last thing you want is for you to show up being all scent free and $hit.

While the other guy show up cover in dog / cat hair. Smelling like booze, coffee and cigarette. Is ripping farts as you walk through the woods / sitting in the stand. They may have experience hunting. It could be same experience of not harvesting a deer year after year. Then again they could do all those things and bag a 10 pointer. There is an element of luck involved IMO.

That's a mistake. If you found a spot that could be productive keep that shit under wraps man. Don't issue open invitations to strangers. Hell don't even take your friends or family. [hmmm] Well - maybe your children if you have any...

Bear is extremely tough in MA as bait and hounds are illegal. Their sense of smell is better than a deer and they're largely nocturnal animals. Bait is usually what gets em moving in the day. But that's out here..

I've reached out everywhere I can at this point. Had several offers of help but only one of them has been serious. Looks like I'll have someone to go with for shotgun deer but solo for turkey and bear. Think people afraid of showing a new person their spot and sharing their secrets.

How about you put in some work and find your own spots, maybe you'll learn something along the way. Thats how guys gain knowledge, covering ground and observing. Learning from your own mistakes.

A better approach is asking someone to come to your spot to show you around, AFTER you've spent a good deal of time learning the lay of the land yourself. Highly doubt someones going to let a newb tag along on their spot if they're a serious hunter. It's nothing but a liability, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Family or a close friend thats different, but you're essentially a stranger.

Last edited:

To many, hunting is a solitary endeavor.

How about you put in some work and find your own spots, maybe you'll learn something along the way. Thats how guys gain knowledge, covering ground and observing. Learning from your own mistakes.

A better approach is asking someone to come to your spot to show you around, AFTER you've spent a good deal of time learning the lay of the land yourself. Highly doubt someones going to let a newb tag along on their spot if they're a serious hunter. It's nothing but a liability, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Family or a close friend thats different, but you're essentially a stranger.
If you read the above post I have found spots for turkey and bear. Not looking for someone spot looking for their knowledge. I'm more then happy to use the spots I found. I have been scouting since spring and am comfortable with the ones I've found. The issue is books and YouTube only offer so much. I planned on hunting bear with a 30-30 after watching videos and reading it was a great bear gun. But one thing you don't learn, on the ground and alone it's not the best option. Found that out from asking others who have hunted predators in New England. At this point I am heading out alone with my new 45-70 and will learn by trial and error. I find it funny I could hunt in multiple states across the country and would have some willing to show me the ropes. I've been asking questions since summer and only when I found this group and 1 on Facebook have I found people willing to at least give me honest answers to my questions. I'm going to take this year as a learning experience and not expecting anything. I am already planning hunts next year where I have someone willing to fill in the gaps of my knowledge.

I learned on my own too and it's tough. So I can empathize. That said time in the field, Peter Fiduccia's books, and YouTube are how I learned. In particular check out DIY Sportsman's channel, Sean's Outdoors, and my personal favorite - the hunting beast. Tune into the wired to hunt podcasts too. In particular episode 3 and 27 with Dan Infalt. If Dan Infalt speaks - make sure you listen...

I was in the military for 20, and it sucked getting transferred across the country every 3-4 years. About the time I got it nailed down and the area figured out and was getting really productive, it was time to go. I can sympathize for sure.

I learned on my own too and it's tough. So I can empathize. That said time in the field, Peter Fiduccia's books, and YouTube are how I learned. In particular check out DIY Sportsman's channel, Sean's Outdoors, and my personal favorite - the hunting beast. Tune into the wired to hunt podcasts too. In particular episode 3 and 27 with Dan Infalt. If Dan Infalt speaks - make sure you listen...
Thank you for that info, I'll check them out tonight. Been the field as much as I can, even I can't get to where I want to hunt I spend time in local parks just checking for tracks, scat or tree markings just to work on skill development. I've read a few books on hunting but nothing that covers just new England. It's mentioned but in brief sections. I know at this point it will be a few years before I'm comfortable so I'm hoping dumb luck is on my side this season. Hoping to get something more then ticks.

I was in the military for 20, and it sucked getting transferred across the country every 3-4 years. About the time I got it nailed down and the area figured out and was getting really productive, it was time to go. I can sympathize for sure.
Thank you for your Service.
I have a friend that had that issue too, he gave up hunting when they transferred him to Europe. Trying to get him back into it now that he lives in Virginia.

I've read a few books on hunting but nothing that covers just new England. It's mentioned but in brief sections.

This is an interesting point because it's true. New England is a tough place to hunt, and that makes documenting, storytelling and most of all filming harder and not as interesting. As you've found out the majority of the info and videos out there are not of the northeast, but of the midwest and west coast scene. Why? Because it's more entertaining and easier to document. Its tough to film or write about how you saw nothing for days or even weeks on end, when you can go out west and shoot/write a whole scene in very short order.

The only real deer hunters (IMO) that took ahold in this area were the Benoit's of Vermont, they have lots of books and DVD's. Check them out.

You mentioned turkey hunting, actually most of what you read and watch can be applied to this area. Deer hunting or predator hunting, not so much.

Good luck out there

This is an interesting point because it's true. New England is a tough place to hunt, and that makes documenting, storytelling and most of all filming harder and not as interesting. As you've found out the majority of the info and videos out there are not of the northeast, but of the midwest and west coast scene. Why? Because it's more entertaining and easier to document. Its tough to film or write about how you saw nothing for days or even weeks on end, when you can go out west and shoot/write a whole scene in very short order.

The only real deer hunters (IMO) that took ahold in this area were the Benoit's of Vermont, they have lots of books and DVD's. Check them out.

You mentioned turkey hunting, actually most of what you read and watch can be applied to this area. Deer hunting or predator hunting, not so much.

Good luck out there
Thank you I will check the Benoits out.

Back
Top Bottom