New here...a question

Yes, Ruger never sold it as a hi-cap gun.

If you also possess a hi-cap mag for it (or any other gun) you'd be committing a crime and lose all your rights if found out.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here.

If you are >21, you should go get a LTC-A, so you don't have to worry about this matter.

Yes, you can buy a 10/22 with just the FID card you already have.

As a business decision, Four Seasons won't sell it to you out of concern that large capacity _magazines_ are readily available and Carl doesn't want to risk any needless liability.

Darius Arbabi

As a business decision, Four Seasons won't sell it to you out of concern that large capacity _magazines_ are readily available and Carl doesn't want to risk any needless liability.

Thus aiding and abetting the anti-gunners by restricting lawful sales by getting in a swit over imaginary fears. [puke2]

The Ruger 10/22 is not and never was on a "large capacity" or "assault weapon" list. There is NO rational basis for treating a simple .22 as anything other than that.

IF the owner comes into possession of after-market mags w/o holding an LTC, the onus is on that owner. The law punishes the UNLICENSED POSSESSOR of the mags.

The only liability to a dealer would be the sale of the gun WITH such mags to a non-LTC holder. Our problems are bad enough without fabricating new ones. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Welcome Tools8288, This is a great site, I too read more than I post and I've met some of the folks here, all stand up people (well...they were standing when I met 'em)
No flame intended,but...Please call it a magazine or a mag, not a clip. Clips are for nipples. (sorry ladies)
Maybe this is why I don't post too much.
Oh well, anyway WELCOME

DD

DryDock said:
No flame intended,but...Please call it a magazine or a mag, not a clip. Clips are for nipples. (sorry ladies)

Good time for me to keep my mouth shut... but I can't resist. Clips are also for Garands, Steyr 1912's and Mannlicher 1905's. [smile]

What?! What did you think I was going to say??

Preverts.

DryDock said:
Clips are for nipples. (sorry ladies)
Maybe this is why I don't post too much.
Oh well, anyway WELCOME

DD
OK who let him out! [smile]

Clips are for Garands, '03s and Mausers to name a few. & as DryDock mentioned, a few other uses.....

<snip>
As a business decision, Four Seasons won't sell it to you out of concern that large capacity magazines are readily available and Carl doesn't want to risk any needless liability.
</snip>

Which is part of why I haven't spent a dime in his shop since 2002 (over $10,000 worth of firearm related stuff since then), that and he hasn't done a damn thing for gun owners in MA other than sell product.

Purchase all the 10/22's that you want in MA, NH, VT, NY or where ever you wish, the FID covers this particular long gun, just fill out the FA/ 10 within 7 (or is it 10) days after bringing it into MA.

Welcome to the forum.

mini 14 is considered a high cap rifle...some would even go as far as to call it an assault rifle

dicks sporting goods also will not sell you a 10/22 as they consider it a high cap

blood hound said:
dicks sporting goods also will not sell you a 10/22 as they consider it a high cap
I begin to understand Scrivener's disgust with these idiots who are writing their own laws. [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Hey, for my own edification, does the Marlin Mod. 60 count as Hi-Capacity?

I know federal law doesn't consider tube-loading .22s as high-capacity, but I hadn't really thought how it worked for Mass and our "logical" gun laws.

Arrr

-Weer'd Beard

no...a tube loaded gun is not considered high cap...a 10/22 is because it has a removeable mag and there are aftermarket mags available for it that make it able to accept 10+ rounds

same goes for a marlin camp 9 carbine or a ruger pc9

when did that law go into effect. when i was a kid 5 or 10 i remember shooting a 25 round clear mag on my dads .22 this was around ummmmmmm 1990?

When the MA GCA of 1998 was passed, a "compromise" was to SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDE tube-fed .22 rifles AND to SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDE rifles/pistols where the MANUFACTURER NEVER SOLD THEM TO THE PUBLIC WITH >10 MAGS AT ANY TIME IN THE PAST (PRE-1994 AS FED BAN WAS IN PLACE)!

Thus, the Ruger 10/22 was specifically excluded, as were ALL tube-fed rifles.

NOTE: If you sell ANY pistol/rifle with hi-cap mags, then you MUST sell it as a hi-cap pistol/rifle, even if it is not on the hi-cap list (available online and referenced here in the past, do a search).

NOTE 2: The law is NOT "is it capable of holding a hi-cap mag" but rather "WAS IT EVER MADE/SOLD TO THE PUBLIC THAT WAY". If it were different (law), the 1911 would be sold as a hi-cap gun . . . ever seen the 20+ rd mag for a 1911? I have seen them sold at gun shows (great for concealment [rolleyes] ). Therefore, 1911 is lo-cap handgun BUT IF SOLD WITH 20+ rd mag, it would have to be sold as a hi-cap handgun.

Any dealer anywhere who treats them differently is either much too anal or to lazy to actually read the law/list (which delineates the above info).

Last edited:
MrTwigg said:
???Dick's in Leominster had a few last time I was there. (Last Week.)

I am not sure if I will go there again! I was looking to buy some ammo, the person came over.. walked away.. ok... so I asked to see a gun I was looking at, I show my LTC, look at the gun, hand it back... and he walked away from the area and was not seen for over 10 minutes as I waited there.... ummm WTF!!!

I guess if it was a golf club I was looking at the sales person would have stayed right there!! [angry]

Bold and wholly unsubstantiated assertions about Mini-14s being "assault weapons" are false. As in BS. As in, the poster obviously made NO effort to reserch the subject.

There are NO Ruger long arms on the "Large Capacity Firearms Roster" because Ruger did not sell 10/22s, Mini-14s or Mini-30s with "large capacity" magazines to the general public.

Here's the link for those who wish to actually research it:

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/largecap_2002.pdf

Possessing any of those 3 Rugers WITH a "large capacity" mag DOES make it a "large capacity" firearm (but probably NOT an "assault weapon") for which an LTC is required.

Last edited:
Just because I'm an instructor and I go through this with the students....

ahem.... Clips only HOLD the ammunition in place. They DO NOT feed the rounds in to the chamber. Magazines FEED the ammo in to the chamber in order for the firearm to fire. That's why there is a spring located within the mag.

Calling a magazine a clip is what the uneducated do in Hollywood and on TV.

Magazine 101 is now concluded. You may return to your regular reading now. [smile]

Scrivener said:
For our NEXT class, we will explain the difference between cartridges and bullets...
After that, our staff of instructors will explain the difference between semi-automatic and automatic firearms.

Extra credit will be Silencers 101 and why some of us snicker when we see "silenced" revolvers on TV... [smile]

scrivener I posted about the mini 14 being deemed an "assault rifle"...and its not BS

i used to work at dicks sporting good when it was galyans...galyans was considered a "sporting goods store" and we werent allowed to sell anything "tactical" those things that were sent to us ie mossbergs with pistol grips, mini 14s and pc9's we sent back because they were considered "tactical" and therefore didnt fit the criteria for a "hunting/fishing" atmosphere

i've done my research so dont go jumping down my throat...ruger almost discontinued the sale of mini 14's and mini 30's due to the anti's saying they were assault weapons...if you reread my post i said they were "deemed assault weapons" not that i considered them assault weapons

also...we did from time to time get a mini 14 that slipped through the cracks of corporate management that we were able to sell...mini 14's along with 10/22's were only allowed to be sold to those with a class a large capacity license...the way it was explained to me in the sales meeting with the rules and regulations for gun sales was that if there was an aftermarket made for it...ever...even if it was only one...and it was used by a peasant farmer in russia...MA law deemed it as a high cap...hence when we sold hand guns, guns like walther p99's had to go to class A only...they only came with 10 rounders...but aftermarket high caps were available and therefore couldnt be sold to individuals without a large cap license

billk...when dicks took over galyans i decided it was time to leave...as galyans we carried a wide selection of ammo and guns...we sold beretta o/u's winchester bolt rifles, and other high end firearms...when dicks took over they incorporated the lines of ammo and firearms that they dealt with...mainly remington, mossberg, stoeger and other less expensive rifles...the few berettas and brownings you see on the shelves are left over from the galyans days and still havent been moved...but once they do they wont be replaced by other high end guns

the customer service there went waaaaaay down...we used to have 4 - 5 guys on the sales floor a night...with dicks taking over, they felt less was more...our hours got cut back dramatically as they only had 2 guys covering the entire hunting and fishing dept all night

the only reason why i still shop there is i get the ammo dirt cheap cuz i know all the guys there and they notify me of the deals...where else can you get a case of 250 .410 shotshells for $7????

STILL missing the point.......

blood hound said:
scrivener I posted about the mini 14 being deemed an "assault rifle"...and its not BS

Really? Let's see the newly-proferred basis for your declarations.

i used to work at dicks sporting good when it was galyans...galyans was considered a "sporting goods store" and we werent allowed to sell anything "tactical" those things that were sent to us ie mossbergs with pistol grips, mini 14s and pc9's we sent back because they were considered "tactical" and therefore didnt fit the criteria for a "hunting/fishing" atmosphere /

So. trying to decipher your meaning from your unpunctuated, run-on sentences, your basis is MERELY the policy of one gutless "hunting/fishing" store. [rolleyes] Silly me - I actually look at the LAW controlling the matter at hand........

i've done my research so dont go jumping down my throat...

The evidence indicates otherwise. Even for your second attempt:

ruger almost discontinued the sale of mini 14's and mini 30's due to the anti's saying they were assault weapons...if you reread my post i said they were "deemed assault weapons" not that i considered them assault weapons

"Deemed" by WHAT AUTHORITY? Dick's? Sarah Brady? IANSA? Under what LAW is ANY 10/22, Mini-14 or Mini-30 "deemed" an "assault weapon?"

the only reason why i still shop there is i get the ammo dirt cheap cuz i know all the guys there and they notify me of the deals...where else can you get a case of 250 .410 shotshells for $7????

Until the store fabricates some new invertebrate policy which fools like you deem sacred law and then proclaim as such on the internet..........
[puke2]

The roster I provided the link to is produced by the controlling authority; what some cowardly corporate geek hides behind and you rationalize is irrelevant. Grasp the concept.

Last edited:
Time for a reality check (and mabe an extra ration of the meds) Scrivner. Face that fact that:

• Legal definitions are not the only ones;
  • Normal human being hardly ever bother with law books when they need to look up the definition of a word;
  • Some people actually think about and discuss things that neither have nor pretend to have any realtion to the law; and
  • Both people and businesses frequently behave in ways that do not conform to the letter of the law -- some times they stay far away from the fault lines, and other times the slip over one.

Maybe if you reserved the constant attitude for opposing counsel you wouldn't be viewed as such an unmitigated pain in the ass.
PitA.gif

And maybe if people actually knew what they were talking about before declaring falsehoods to be true, the attitude you habitually complain of would not be needed.

Once again, whether you or the other apologists for the invertebrate are willing to admit it, the guns in question are not and never were considered "large capacity" under Mass or Federal law. Your rationalizations of irrational fears don't change that.

Moreover, whether you can even see, still less admit, it or not, those attitudes ENCOURAGE the fear-mongering, demonization and ostracization of those who enjoy the firearms in question.

Got an award for that, medal-boy?

I see that the reality check failed. He wasn't talking about what the law says, he was talking about what common people, like the 99% of this forum who don't practice law for a living, mean when they use a particular word. Regardless of what you or anybody else might think, the fact that someone uses a word in a way that doesn't agree with a particular legal definition (MA AW? MD AW? NJ AW?, NY AW?, CA AW?, Boston AW?) doesn't mean that it's false.

Now take your pills and crawl back into your hole until somebody asks a legal question or offers bad legal advice. In the meantime we'll all stipulate that you think that everyone else is here dumber than a bag of hammers, saving you the trouble of constantly having to tell us so.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom