• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Henry rifles - All-Weather Lever Action

DW357

NES Member
Anyone see these new lever action models that Henry is releasing soon? No blued steel, hard chrome plated steel and industrial coating on the wood. Offered in 45/70 and 30-30. I don't shoot either caliber but damn these are nice.

H009AW.jpg

Just my opinion, and it might be the photo quality, but they are kinda homely.

Just my opinion, and it might be the photo quality, but they are kinda homely.

Lol to each their own. I have big boy 44 mag with walnut and shiny brass which I like more than these but they're still very nice IMO. After getting my Dan Wesson 1911 hard chromed, these new Henry's are demanding my money lol.

Last edited:
IRT loading for 45/70, it's not that bad. Cast bullets are very affordable and most rifles chambered for 45/70 are great candidates for cast bullets. Powder charges aren't that steep but my favorite is using Unique powder. Super super light, but still punts out a 405gr cast bullet at 1300fps, that's more than enough for any game most of us will ever encounter and it's a pleasure to shoot. Brass IS expensive, but it lasts a long time for several loads.

I cast a 405gr flat nose and that bullet over 12.5gr of Unique is a great performer from my pistols on up to my Buffalo and levers.

45/70 is one of the greatest savings when reloaded as compared to factory fodder.

Black "industrial coating" on the wood? at that point why not just go synthetic?

IRT loading for 45/70, it's not that bad. Cast bullets are very affordable and most rifles chambered for 45/70 are great candidates for cast bullets. Powder charges aren't that steep but my favorite is using Unique powder. Super super light, but still punts out a 405gr cast bullet at 1300fps, that's more than enough for any game most of us will ever encounter and it's a pleasure to shoot. Brass IS expensive, but it lasts a long time for several loads.

I cast a 405gr flat nose and that bullet over 12.5gr of Unique is a great performer from my pistols on up to my Buffalo and levers.

45/70 is one of the greatest savings when reloaded as compared to factory fodder.

Good point on the cast bullets. Well if I ever decide to buy a rifle in 45/70, I'll have to hit you up for some bullets - traded for cash of course [grin]

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have/use Unique but I do have powders like power pistol, 2400, and H110/296 which would work well I would imagine.

From everything I have heard Henry is making some really nice rifles, certainly way better then the current Marlins. I definitely want one. They also make a brass framed 45/70 with an octagon barrel that looks interesting. The 45/70 is what initially got me into reloading. I had an H&R Buffalo Classic and could not afford to regularly shoot factory ammo. Yes there is the initial expense to get set up, but as has been mentioned the brass lasts a really long time especially if loaded with moderate loads or black powder. I also cast all of my boolits for the 45/70. Additionally the 45/70 is not a round that one shoots a lot at one time. I usually find that 50 -60 rds would be about tops with many sessions being more like 20 - 30.

Good point on the cast bullets. Well if I ever decide to buy a rifle in 45/70, I'll have to hit you up for some bullets - traded for cash of course [grin]

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have/use Unique but I do have powders like power pistol, 2400, and H110/296 which would work well I would imagine.[/QUOTE

H110 is a slow burning magnum pistol powder, I wouldn't even consider it unless I saw it published, but that goes for any load data really.

I looked at my Lyman 49th, it has great data for cast bullets and unique. I shoot cast with unique in 308, 30/30, 30-06 and of course 45-70.

i got got onto it one day at the range. There was this older guy shooting some crazy old trapdoor or foreign origin, using necked down brass 12ga hulls. We got talking about the 45/70 and probably me complaining about recoil from my contender when he mentioned Unique. I was skeptical until he pulled out his data book and showed me years of shooting data with unique in his various 45/70's, then I did my own research.

There's great info on castbullets.com. This combo isn't what I would say popular, but it exists in many of the older manuals. 45/70 isn't a fashionable round nowadays but it is exceedingly versatile in a number of weapons.

Be be aware that there are primarily 3 different "levels" for the 45-70. One for old trapdoor spring fields or any modern gun in good condition, next up is for the Marlin levers and the like, and finally some insane loads for the Ruger No1. Quite simply, a load for a Ruger No1 will quite likely grenade an older trapdoor. They just weren't made for that level of pressure that modern design and metallurgy affords us now. So, in short, please verify 45/70 loads.

If it helps Andrew, you get the Henry and I'll send you 100 bullets, and of course, it's on me [grin]

From everything I have heard Henry is making some really nice rifles, certainly way better then the current Marlins. I definitely want one. They also make a brass framed 45/70 with an octagon barrel that looks interesting. The 45/70 is what initially got me into reloading. I had an H&R Buffalo Classic and could not afford to regularly shoot factory ammo. Yes there is the initial expense to get set up, but as has been mentioned the brass lasts a really long time especially if loaded with moderate loads or black powder. I also cast all of my boolits for the 45/70. Additionally the 45/70 is not a round that one shoots a lot at one time. I usually find that 50 -60 rds would be about tops with many sessions being more like 20 - 30.

Yeah they make real nice rifles. I had their goldenboy 22 and big boy 357 mag that I recently sold. Now I just have their 44 mag big boy. A ton of fun to shoot with lots of muzzle flash.

I had a chance to shoot 45/70 through one of those Marlin guide guns. Definitely had some kick but they were warm reloads. I got too much money tied up in the 8 calibers I currently reload and no more space in the safe for another Henry unfortunately...some day.

Last edited:
Lol to each their own. I have big boy 44 mag with walnut and shiny brass which I like more than these but they're still very nice IMO. After getting my Dan Wesson 1911 hard chromed, these new Henry's are demanding my money lol.

I love levers, so I think it's just the photo. [smile]

Nice looking rifle. Lever action is on myshort list. I would like to get hands on one to see the finish in person.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have/use Unique but I do have powders like power pistol, 2400, and H110/296 which would work well I would imagine.[/QUOTE

H110 is a slow burning magnum pistol powder, I wouldn't even consider it unless I saw it published, but that goes for any load data really.

I looked at my Lyman 49th, it has great data for cast bullets and unique. I shoot cast with unique in 308, 30/30, 30-06 and of course 45-70.

i got got onto it one day at the range. There was this older guy shooting some crazy old trapdoor or foreign origin, using necked down brass 12ga hulls. We got talking about the 45/70 and probably me complaining about recoil from my contender when he mentioned Unique. I was skeptical until he pulled out his data book and showed me years of shooting data with unique in his various 45/70's, then I did my own research.

There's great info on castbullets.com. This combo isn't what I would say popular, but it exists in many of the older manuals. 45/70 isn't a fashionable round nowadays but it is exceedingly versatile in a number of weapons.

Be be aware that there are primarily 3 different "levels" for the 45-70. One for old trapdoor spring fields or any modern gun in good condition, next up is for the Marlin levers and the like, and finally some insane loads for the Ruger No1. Quite simply, a load for a Ruger No1 will quite likely grenade an older trapdoor. They just weren't made for that level of pressure that modern design and metallurgy affords us now. So, in short, please verify 45/70 loads.

If it helps Andrew, you get the Henry and I'll send you 100 bullets, and of course, it's on me [grin]

Yeah I wasn't sure what powders could work for reduced loads. But H110 isn't a powder you want to reduce and play around with.

I also have a bunch of IMR-4064 and H335 but looking at Hodgdon's site, those would not be reduced loads.

Varget probably has the widest range of application for all of the various weights of cast and jacketed.

For reduced loads, I don't have that manual in front of me or I would quote it for source. I'm still unpacking my reloading stuff from the move!

I know I run a 405gr cast over 12-13gr of Unique, but of course don't take the word of "stape" as gospel lol.

I LOVE lever guns, there is just something about them. On my shortlist to own, even if only in 22lr. Have shot 22lr golden boy and the magnums as well, very fun rifles. Maybe I watched too many westerns as a kid but it's a fun challenge to try to cycle and get back on target as quick as possible. That being said, and I do love me a black rifle, there is something about a lever gun with a blued barrel and wooden stock. Nothing wrong with making a gun that may appeal to a different crowd, but for me, I need a lever gun with a wooden stock.

I'd expect they went with coated wood vs. polymer because they are already making the wood stocks.

To me the appeal of a lever action is the classic look and feel but taste is subjective.

Varget probably has the widest range of application for all of the various weights of cast and jacketed.

For reduced loads, I don't have that manual in front of me or I would quote it for source. I'm still unpacking my reloading stuff from the move!

I know I run a 405gr cast over 12-13gr of Unique, but of course don't take the word of "stape" as gospel lol.

H4895 works well for reduced loads also along with trail boss.

The Unique loads are definitely fun accurate and can't get much less expensive.

H4198 is good too performance wise - for me anyway.

Cabelas actually had lasercast 405 gr cast bullets on the shelf.

With all this talk about reduced loads I just cannot resist digressing a bit and throwing in a max load story. Many years ago I went to a car shoot and wanted a real jackhammer load for the occasion. I had an H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70 and some folks on a single shot forum conjectured that this rifle could handle Ruger #1 loads. Being younger and more daring (or just stupid) I took it to heart. I bought a box of Barnes 500 gr. solids designed for the .458 magnum (and wickedly expensive) and paired it with 54 grains of IMR 3031. At the shoot they had also put out a half dozen propane tanks. This load made the tanks react pretty much like tin cans. A good hit would lift the tank several feet into the air and punch a hole right through it. I fired 20 rounds and by the last 3 shots the rifle became self ejecting, as with each shot the action would break open and automatically eject. Very efficient. I do not recommend this load, but man what a thumper.

Back
Top Bottom