New Hampshire non resident permit - required?

"For the most part" is a reference to a ME carry permit being needed to carry in some state parks like Acadia and/or Baxter.
For non ME residents, their home state permit is sufficient to carry concealed in Acadia National Park if Maine has reciprocity with that home state.

Edited to correct my statement!

Last edited:
did the nh law change?
it USED to be that to carry concealed you needed the nh permit. which was a pia if you were hiking and had the gun in a small pack concealed, or had the gun in a holster, but were wearing a poncho over it.

I'm a little puzzled by the last few messages.

Can a non Maine resident visit a Maine state park, carrying concealed, provided they have a resident carry permit in their home state? Or do those cites reference MAINE carry permits?

I was wrong about the MA permit - edited my post.
Even this has room for interpretation since the Acadia law since it uses wording that does not acknowledge reciprocity, and the LTC/CCW from a reciprocity stats is noit issued under the ME law
A person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun has been issued under Title 25, chapter 252. The person must have in that person's possession the valid permit; [PL 2013, c. 424, Pt. A, §4 (AMD).

So, notify during traffic stop.

What if a pedestrian is approached by an officer?
Happened to me. Just random small talk about a Jeep I was admiring. I didn’t notify.
Did you read the quote? It's not just during a traffic stop, and it's not for small talk no matter who initiates it.

during the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop

I've been following this so long that I recall people thinking "duty to notify during any official encounter" meant that if they were in McDonald's and saw two cops eating lunch, they had to whip out their licenses and inform them.

did the nh law change?
it USED to be that to carry concealed you needed the nh permit. which was a pia if you were hiking and had the gun in a small pack concealed, or had the gun in a holster, but were wearing a poncho over it.
Dude. It was literally the first bill that Chris Sununu signed into law when he became governor.

Did you read the quote? It's not just during a traffic stop, and it's not for small talk no matter who initiates it.

I've been following this so long that I recall people thinking "duty to notify during any official encounter" meant that if they were in McDonald's and saw two cops eating lunch, they had to whip out their licenses and inform them.

About the only time I plan on informing a cop I'm carrying is if they're about to put cuffs on me.

Well, I wasn’t being arrested or detained, so I didn’t quote those in my question.

After dealing with LEO in Mass, I always expect any LEO to try saying the law states more than it does.

Even this has room for interpretation since the Acadia law since it uses wording that does not acknowledge reciprocity, and the LTC/CCW from a reciprocity stats is noit issued under the ME law

The state website does say this though:
Maine will recognize a concealed handgun permit issued by another state to its resident if that state recognizes Maine’s resident concealed handgun permits. A resident permit from that state is valid for concealed carry of a handgun within Acadia National Park

Regardless, that doesn’t help MA resident LTC nor NH non-res.

Maine only has reciprocity with resident permits.

Last edited:
Don’t tase me bro. I do it all the time. 😂

Allagash Wilderness Waterway is where no carry is allowed.
Here's the chapter/verse from their rules:

From their park rules link:
"Use or possession of any firearm,
bow and arrow, sling shot, crossbow, air rifle or pistol is prohibited. Firearms may be
transported through the Park if kept in a car trunk, enclosed in a case, or otherwise
inaccessible to use."

No judgement here and yeah bummer on the AWW too

And you have to GO to Pa. to a certain county to get it. Correct ?

You can fill out the forms and pay online, but you MUST appear in person to pick it up. I thought otherwise and chose the first alphabetical county which is way over down by Gettysburg. Turned out to be a great reason for a trip to PA in 2022 though. :)

Picking it up was easy, photo/signature and they hand it to you.

Here's the chapter/verse from their rules:

From their park rules link:
"Use or possession of any firearm,
bow and arrow, sling shot, crossbow, air rifle or pistol is prohibited. Firearms may be
transported through the Park if kept in a car trunk, enclosed in a case, or otherwise
inaccessible to use."

No judgement here and yeah bummer on the AWW too
I’m aware of those and will take my chances.

Not paranoid in life but there is very little ‘security’ up there as in leo’s and cell phones. It’s pretty damn remote. D3A8E82E-8F12-4CFB-89AC-1AA2AFBCA372.jpeg1E9FC303-7B9E-45B8-8FF1-A0D7B76408FD.jpeg4415A57C-D910-437B-B81E-4CC1745252FE.jpeg6892A745-4884-40F4-B6D9-DC662FD09972.jpeg0A108C37-057D-4F12-8292-BAE459BDED40.jpeg

It’s a full day round trip from Greenville to the abandoned trains and the tramway. It was near 90 and very humid this trip. Much better in the growing season versus snowmobiling in.

You can fill out the forms and pay online, but you MUST appear in person to pick it up. I thought otherwise and chose the first alphabetical county which is way over down by Gettysburg. Turned out to be a great reason for a trip to PA in 2022 though. :)

Picking it up was easy, photo/signature and they hand it to you.
Did you choose the county you wanted to pick it up at online, or can you go to any one with the paid reciept ?? im guessing there are only certain countys that process firearms permits.....

Did you choose the county you wanted to pick it up at online, or can you go to any one with the paid reciept ?? im guessing there are only certain countys that process firearms permits.....

You can choose which county to go to though I'm not sure all counties process licenses online. I just grabbed the first on the list which was Adams. Nice town, we have relatives north of it in Reading so wasn't a total waste of a trip.

If you’re wearing a CCW sash you don’t actually have to speak to the officers

Easier to just pull your coat open a bit so they can see your weapon, then eye them meaningfully until they get the message.

The state website does say this though:

Regardless, that doesn’t help MA resident LTC nor NH non-res.

Maine only has reciprocity with resident permits.

So a MA LTC holder cannot carry in Acadia National Park unless they have a non res Maine license? I carried there last year without a Maine non res license OOPS. LOL

ETA: So Maine Staties want a basic handgun safety certificate that's no less than 5 years old for their non res license and some kind of release for a psych record disclosure?...LOL.

Last edited:
So a MA LTC holder cannot carry in Acadia National Park unless they have a non res Maine license? I carried there last year without a Maine non res license OOPS. LOL

ETA: So Maine Staties want a basic handgun safety certificate that's no less than 5 years old for their non res license and some kind of release for a psych record disclosure?...LOL.
No more than five years old. Laughing out the loudness. Not LOL. Who are you, that Dr grant character.

Been to several National Parks out West. Carry is allowed outside but not in the buildings as they are Federal buildings. I thought it was that way nationwide

Back
Top Bottom