• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Hampshire non resident permit - required?

I think at one point or possibly still, a Permit would let you carry in schools.
NH doesn't ban carry in schools, and doesn't require a Permit to do so.

You're thinking of the federal Gun Free School Zones Act, which treats carrying within 1,000 feet of school property the same as carrying in the school building itself.

The feds can't meaningfully enforce that except as a tacked-on charge for another crime, and NH police literally cannot enforce federal law.

Right.

And if you're a MA resident looking to carry places outside the northeast, you're better off getting the UT/FL/PA NR cards anyways.
FL didn't do much for me. I only got it for the sake of getting it because I was there.

What does FL non resident give you?

FL didn't do much for me. I only got it for the sake of getting it because I was there.

What does FL non resident give you?
My brother lives in FL, so when I visit him it works there. Maybe NV, as well? I forget.
If I didn't have UT, it would give basically everything it does, except UT.
When I first got them, I think there was less overlap. I still don't have PA yet, but I really should. Same with RI and CT.
Nat Rec would be preferred, of course.

"For the most part" is a reference to a ME carry permit being needed to carry in some state parks like Acadia and/or Baxter.
Also, I'm pretty sure there's still duty to inform if you don't have a permit.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's still duty to inform if you don't have a permit.

Maine Statutes
Title 25: Internal Security and Public Safety
Part 5: Public Safety
Chapter 252: Permits to Carry Concealed Handguns

§2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcement
When an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of this chapter and who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this State or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shall immediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun. [PL 2015, c. 327, §4 (NEW).]

🐯

I remember some weird rules before Maine went constitutional carry. Not sure if they got sorted out but at a time, non residents who did not have a permit couldn't carry when driving. Needed to be in a locked storage container when crossing from MA to ME...

I remember some weird rules before Maine went constitutional carry. Not sure if they got sorted out but at a time, non residents who did not have a permit couldn't carry when driving. Needed to be in a locked storage container when crossing from MA to ME...
Never heard of such nonsense as a now 28 year property owner.

To clarify, I am interested in what New Hampshire non resident members do because that’s the category that I belong in.
MA resident here. When I go to NH I just go, carry, and don't worry about it for a split second.

When NH first adopted constitutional carry I drove up there just because. As I was crossing the street in Nashua the wind blew my jacket wide open, completely exposing my gun to the cop who was sitting at the light - literally no reaction at all. I love NH, can't wait to move up there.

How is this thing on it's second page?

There is really no benefit for an out of state person to get a non res NH P&R license for travel within NH.

Feel free to drop whatever the fee is to our state though.

Maine Statutes
Title 25: Internal Security and Public Safety
Part 5: Public Safety
Chapter 252: Permits to Carry Concealed Handguns

§2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcement
When an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of this chapter and who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that has been issued as provided in this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this State or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shall immediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun. [PL 2015, c. 327, §4 (NEW).]

🐯
So, notify during traffic stop.

What if a pedestrian is approached by an officer?
Happened to me. Just random small talk about a Jeep I was admiring. I didn’t notify.

NH had a hybrid con carry model for a while. You could open carry with no permit but concealed was bad. Open Carry in a car was widely considered "concealed".

Off road carry was prohibited without permit as well.

All that is in the past, I believe including the off road thing.

You can't get to Maine without going through New Hampshire, so perhaps you're remembering the bad old days? You would have had to fopa your heater through NH to get to Maine.

MA resident here. When I go to NH I just go, carry, and don't worry about it for a split second.

When NH first adopted constitutional carry I drove up there just because. As I was crossing the street in Nashua the wind blew my jacket wide open, completely exposing my gun to the cop who was sitting at the light - literally no reaction at all. I love NH, can't wait to move up there.
As a MA resident, I feel better carrying in NH than in MA.

I believe including the off road thing.

minor rant

Got it that this is in general, but can we please dispense with the I believe stuff and potentially give people wrong information?

This was fixed last year with this HB1636. Read the law as there are still OHRV restrictions for long guns.

Bill attached

Attachments

• HB1636.pdf
    116 KB · Views: 6
Former MA resident now NH resident - I’m only thinking of getting a NH P&R license for state reciprocity purposes. It’s inexpensive and quick.

minor rant

Got it that this is in general, but can we please dispense with the I believe stuff and potentially give people wrong information?

This was fixed last year with this HB1636. Read the law as there are still OHRV restrictions for long guns.

Bill attached
If I state something I'm not dead certain of, I say that. Deal with it.

It's on the reader to confirm it.

If I say something I'm dead certain of, but wrong on, just correct me and I'll learn from that.

Don't be a dick.

Former MA resident now NH resident - I’m only thinking of getting a NH P&R license for state reciprocity purposes. It’s inexpensive and quick.
And as a Maine resident I have permits for both states.
I must be rich or sumting to be able to afford it huh? 😂
I’d have a MA license too if it wasn’t so difficult and neutered. I live 60.5 years in that commie hole without incident but as soon as I leave I’ve turned into another person deprived of his rights.

Not very interested in going south over that border anyway but I sure as shit shouldn’t be forced to stop in Hollis or Nashua for a known secure hold of my gun(s).

Back
Top Bottom