• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Hampshire non resident permit - required?

shakti

NES Member
Hello,
I have been getting conflicting pieces of advice regarding the nonresident permit from nh and unfortunately, there is very little information on the state’s website on the requirement for this.

I am interested in understanding what most the members here do.

One piece of advice I got was to go get the permit, but other than the application, there is no supporting documentation requirements that I am able to see.

The other piece of advice I got was that New Hampshire was a constitutional carry state, and that they treat non resident people without a carry permit exactly the same as those with a carry permit and so it was not worth it.

I welcome your comments and discussions on this thread.

The other piece of advice I got was that New Hampshire was a constitutional carry state, and that they treat non resident people without a carry permit exactly the same as those with a carry permit and so it was not worth it.

this.

So far, both answers have been from New Hampshire residents that formerly lived in Mass.

If you travel the country somewhat frequently and want to carry in other states, get it. It's short money and easy to get. If you mostly hang out in New England, don't bother. You're already good in MA, VT, NH and for the most part, Maine.

To clarify, I am interested in what New Hampshire non resident members do because that’s the category that I belong in.
I have a NH NR because it used to be that there were differences in where you can carry with/out one.

My understanding is that (most? all?) of that has been corrected at this point.

If I didn't have one, I wouldn't get it. I probably won't renew when it comes up.

Go. Be free. Visit NH without paying for permission.

So far, both answers have been from New Hampshire residents that formerly lived in Mass.

If you travel the country somewhat frequently and want to carry in other states, get it. It's short money and easy to get. If you mostly hang out in New England, don't bother. You're already good in MA, VT, NH and for the most part, Maine.
Right.

And if you're a MA resident looking to carry places outside the northeast, you're better off getting the UT/FL/PA NR cards anyways.

FWIW, below is the NH State Reciprocity List

Reciprocity​

The states listed below have indicated that they will recognize New Hampshire resident pistol revolver licenses. Anyone carrying a firearm in New Hampshire is subject to all other applicable laws including RSA 159:3.

• Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona *
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado *
  • Florida *
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
  • Mississippi
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia *
  • Wyoming

FWIW, below is the NH State Reciprocity List

One additional point germane to the OP. It looks like it simply got truncated in your post above.

Please Note: Pistol/Revolver licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are only valid within the State of New Hampshire or within a state that recognizes a New Hampshire non-resident pistol/revolver license.

It is extremely important that all license holders be aware of the laws and requirements of all reciprocating states when visiting/traveling. Possession of a license does not supersede any other state's laws or license requirements. License holders are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting.

If you are a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your New Hampshire license, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there. For example, some states only recognize a license if the person is 21 years of age or older.

The above is being provided for informational purposes only. The Department of Safety does not make any warranty, express or implied, concerning the accuracy of the information. Every attempt is made to update the information periodically; however, it is each individual's responsibility to know the laws and requirements concerning possession of pistols/revolvers when traveling in New Hampshire or any other state.

I think at one point or possibly still, a Permit would let you carry in schools.

Being you are non res anyway, I doubt you will be going in schools.

I would not bother with the permit unless you need to visit schools.

Was there something about still needing one to carry on ATV/Snow mobiles or am I just imagining that?

If I am imagining it please disregard and make allowance for my very small brain.

🐯
I believe, and I have to admit I haven't kept perfect score, that the ATV bits have been corrected in the last couple years. I think the school topic may be on a similar path.

I feel like @KBCraig or @design can comment more authoritatively on this.

I recall the 2 major differences were if you get pulled over constitutional carry you were required to inform the officer and aren't required with the permit. The other was if you were doing recreational (atv, trail bike, snowmobile) that you could carry with a permit and could only have a loaded firearm locked up on the recreational vehicle if doing constitutional carry.

I haven't heard of them changing that yet. Maine fixed the recreation issue they had when they went cont. carry but I don't believe NH has yet.

I recall the 2 major differences were if you get pulled over constitutional carry you were required to inform the officer and aren't required with the permit. The other was if you were doing recreational (atv, trail bike, snowmobile) that you could carry with a permit and could only have a loaded firearm locked up on the recreational vehicle if doing constitutional carry.

I haven't heard of them changing that yet. Maine fixed the recreation issue they had when they went cont. carry but I don't believe NH has yet.
Aren't you an attorney?
Cite for NH duty to inform?

Aren't you an attorney?
Cite for NH duty to inform?
I am not an attorney. That was another user on the forum that used a similar name. I don't have the cite for that but it was what i was told by some residents near my NH home.

edit- after looking further into it I can't find anything for NH regarding the duty to inform only for Maine.

Last edited:

I thought duty to inform was maine, not nh.

If you go to Maine and NH I think Maine is more important to get
The Maine laws are more of a mess and I will never inform (for self preservation) unless it gets to a point and the Maine permit fixes that

I believe, and I have to admit I haven't kept perfect score, that the ATV bits have been corrected in the last couple years. I think the school topic may be on a similar path.

I feel like @KBCraig or @design can comment more authoritatively on this.
The atv bit was corrected with a bill that was signed into law last year or maybe the year before, but is legal now.

Since Maine has been mentioned a couple of times, I looked up the laws last week since I was there for a few days this week. For non-res non permit holders carrying Constitutionally; Duty to inform Yes. Signage binding Yes (criminal trespass if you violate signage).

I was in Portland for 3 days and fully expected to see anti signage, didn’t see any at all. Saw one shop w a sign that said they don’t serve Proud Boys but nothing prohibiting carry.

Hello,
I have been getting conflicting pieces of advice regarding the nonresident permit from nh and unfortunately, there is very little information on the state’s website on the requirement for this.

I am interested in understanding what most the members here do.

One piece of advice I got was to go get the permit, but other than the application, there is no supporting documentation requirements that I am able to see.

I welcome your comments and discussions on this thread.
Any non-felon can carry a firearm openly or concealed in NH. NH pistol licenses are not required. Here is the actual law, it is very simple and clear cut.

Last edited:
The atv bit was corrected with a bill that was signed into law last year or maybe the year before, but is legal now.
I hadn't heard that but just looked it up after seeing your post. Was signed in June 2022. That is great news and I will not renew my NH license when it expires. Thanks!!

If you travel outside of NE, PA is a better deal than NH. PA will give you every state in the south except FL. SC only honors PA residents with LTCs, not non residents with LTCs.

Both FL and SC might soon be moot if they pass Constitutional Carry.

To answer the OP, I've had a NH non resident for several years, but see no reason to renew whenever it comes up. I can find better things to to with $100.00 than get a NH non resident permit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom