• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you sell guns everyday in MA, then you should be very well versed in the laws surrounding the subject, and me as a mere mortal, should bow to your infinate wisdom on the subject. Good luck with that.

I will just tell you, your wrong and leave it at that.

I will just say that I am not wrong and leave it at that...BTW, I doubt you WILL leave it at that!

Well, if you sell guns everyday in MA, then you should be very well versed in the laws surrounding the subject, and me as a mere mortal, should bow to your infinate wisdom on the subject. Good luck with that.

I will just tell you, your wrong and leave it at that.

BTW...get it right..I didn't say I sell guns IN Mass!

Chevy, you could get most .45's with a B, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a 9mm inherently designed to hold less than 10rds (some small sub-compacts?).

Oh wait, you can get a Walther PPS!

Chevy, you could get most .45's with a B, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a 9mm inherently designed to hold less than 10rds (some small sub-compacts?).

The Sig 225 or P6 is a 8rd single stack ( I have 2 of them) , so that would be ok. I think they have a couple others as well. Granted options are limited WRT semi's but they are out their.

not new guns! new guns have to be on the Ma. compliant list not by capability..but have to be submitted for testing and been approved to make the list! Only pre-ban guns of low capacity can be sold instate Ma. as grandfatheres guns! Not all guns that have Ma. compliant specs are Ma. compliant!

I am a guy that sells firearms everyday to Mass residents..and one that doesn't believe everything i read on the internet...I dont have to use the search button to find out the laws...I get mine from the ATF!!

I am sure the AG in MA would be happy to hear your selling handguns to people with an FID card in MA. The ATF is federal, not state, MA has it's own laws regarding who and what type of firearms a resident of MA may have. FFL's in MA have strict guide lines they follow.

Considering, you are not a resident of MA, nor have you had to go thru the proceedures to obtain a LTC, also, the fact that these rules and laws are covered in the required courses for applying for said LTC and FID cards, per the state police of MA. I highly doubt you have any authority to call me wrong. I will grant you wisdom maybe in federal law WRT FFL's, but in no way are you as informeded or educated enough in MA firearms laws to have any weight on the discusion. Go look it up in the states MGL's, and then prove me wrong, until then.......................

I call you out as a troll and a liar, go back to the rock from which you climbed out from under.

fomocofan,

I'm in agreement with Doc, but more importantly, I'm calling you out on your excessive uses of exclamation points! Is it just me, or do you all feel like you're being unjustifiably yelled at by this guy?

Chevy, I don't know what your budget currently is, but if you went for a used .22 pistol and a used .45 route you would have a lot more purchasing options.

well i wanted something a little more powerful than a .22 but i also don't want to break the bank on ammo. So i was thinking a 9mm would be a good compromise.

A friend of mine just got a walther p22 nice looking gun cheap to shot, I have not shot it yet.

BTW the licensing officer told me the following.
-they incur responsibility for giving people LTC
-you can carry CONCEALED to the range (in your car or if you HAVE to go into 711 for a leak) with a LTC-A with target/hunting restrictions.
[rolleyes]

My other buddy got a pps 9mm (he has a restricted LTC-A) at Four Seasons

Is four seasons a good shop, any other recommendations (lol i still have 4-8 weeks till i get my LTC-B...)

well i wanted something a little more powerful than a .22 but i also don't want to break the bank on ammo. So i was thinking a 9mm would be a good compromise.

A friend of mine just got a walther p22 nice looking gun cheap to shot, I have not shot it yet.

BTW the licensing officer told me the following.
-they incur responsibility for giving people LTC
-you can carry CONCEALED to the range (in your car or if you HAVE to go into 711 for a leak) with a LTC-A with target/hunting restrictions.
[rolleyes]

I'm not sure where you got that info. I was told this very exact thing from an instructor at the BGRA, but when I asked that question to the licensing police officer in Boston, he said otherwise: you carry it locked up and unloaded under your control (like in a case, locked bag, etc.)

Is four seasons a good shop, any other recommendations

Yes. Four Seasons is a very good one.

C
[rolleyes]
)

for some reason that doesnt sound right to me. whats to say you arent 'always' on your way to the range?

for some reason that doesnt sound right to me. whats to say you arent 'always' on your way to the range?

one of the instructors at the BGRA said stuff similar to this, like it was a loophole or something. My memory might be foggy, though.

I don't think it's right, though. The BPD corrected me on this one when I asked.

When my LTC-A originally came with a Sporting restriction, the licensing officer told me I could carry concealed anytime to and from the range, camping, fishing, hiking, etc.. [hmmm]

Hey New Guy,

Here is info for you, if you are not a memeber yet of GOAL, I would invite you to check them out, they are in a sense your best friend in regards to gun laws in MA.

Please join GOAL, you will be helping all residents of MA have a voice, and will be a part of a group who thinks your 2A rights are as important as your 1st,3rd,4th and so on. They are great people to have on your side, and can provide you with w wealth of info.

Straight from GOAL's website

Common Questions Regarding Handgun and Long Gun Sales In MA.

Buying a Handgun in Massachusetts
Are you confused about the process of buying handguns in Massachusetts? You are not alone.
GOAL has created this overview to help you better understand what is needed to buy a handgun in Massachusetts. These descriptions do not describe the process for people who are not residents of Massachusetts, or to curios and relics dealers, or licensed dealers. These descriptions we’ve created for residents citizens should not be considered legal advice.

Who Can Buy a Handgun Lawfully?

In order to purchase a handgun, you must have a license to carry a firearm. You must be a US Citizen over 21 years of age in order to get the license, and must not have certain kinds of convictions on your record.
There are other types of gun licenses available for non-residents and non-citizens. For more information, call the Firearms Records Bureau at 617-660-4780.

Where Do You Buy Handguns?
Once you have a License To Carry A Firearm, you may lawfully buy handguns from two sources:

•A state and federally licensed firearms dealer, or

•Another individual in Massachusetts, who has the appropriate license to possess the handgun that is for sale.
If you want to buy a handgun that is offered for sale in another state, it must be transferred from a licensed dealer in that state to a licensed dealer in this state, who can then transfer it to you.
What Happens When You Buy From a Dealer ?
In order to be in business in the Commonwealth, a firearms dealer has both a state dealer’s license and a federal dealer’s license (usually called an FFL). These licenses place certain requirements and restrictions on the sale.
The dealer will need to fill out a long yellow form for the federal government, Form 4473. This form will ask you questions about your race, national origin, convictions (if any), date of birth, and more. Using the information on this form, the dealer calls the National Instant Check System (NICS), which will see if you are disqualified by law from purchasing a firearm. In many cases, the dealer is told to “proceed” very quickly. If you have a conviction on your record, or if your name is similar to someone who has a criminal background, or if your identity has been stolen, the sale may be put on hold. The NICS will respond as soon as possible, and the hold could be removed in a matter of hours. The federal government has 3 business days to respond, by law.
Once the okay has been received from the federal government, the dealer will finish filling out the specific information on the gun you wish to purchase.
This same information about the gun, and about you as the buyer, is put on a state form FA-10. When the transactions are complete, you are given a copy of the FA-10 to keep. You are not given a copy of the federal form.

Private Sales and Transfers
Massachusetts law allows private citizens who have the right kind of firearms license to possess the items to transfer guns between themselves, provided the state is notified of the sale within 7 days. The amount you pay for the gun is not the state’s business.
Just as with the dealer sale, the form FA-10 is used. Information on the buyer, the seller, and the handgun is filled in on this three-part carbonless form. The buyer and the seller each keep a copy, one copy is mailed to the state.
Copies of the FA-10’s are available at many police stations, and through the Firearms Records Bureau at 617-660-4780.
An individual may sell no more than four guns to private individuals in a calendar year. There is no limit to the number of guns that an individual may buy or sell from a dealer.

What About Buying Rifles and Shotguns Out of State?
Federal law allows persons to buy rifles and shotguns from a federally licensed dealer in another state, provided all requirements of the buyer’s and seller’s home state are met. Thus, a Massachusetts resident with a Card or License could lawfully purchase rifles and shotguns from gun stores in other states.
However, state law requires that you register that purchase within 7 days of your return to Massachusetts. You would use an FA-10 form, and check off the box on “registration.”
Copies of the FA-10’s are available at many police stations, and through the Firearms Records Bureau at 617-660-4780.
What is a Large Capacity Handgun and Why is that Important to Me?

Massachusetts issues both Class A and Class B licenses to carry a firearm. A Class B License to Carry a Firearm will allow you to purchase or possess many handguns, but not large capacity handguns. A Class A license will allow you to purchase or possess handguns, regardless of whether they are considered large capacity. So the type of license you have affects what kind of guns you can buy.
Here’s a simple description of large capacity handguns. A handgun is considered large capacity if:

•It is in the presence of a large capacity magazine (one that holds more than ten rounds); or

•if it is on the Large Capacity Weapons Roster.
For a more complete description of the term, see 501 CMR 7.00.

It should be noted that Chapter 140, section 131 ¾ of the General Laws requires the Secretary of Public Safety to publish the law three times annually in newspapers of general circulation. In 2002, the Executive Office of Public Safety stated it no longer had the money to do such notices, and has instead resorted to publishing it on the internet.
Copies of the large capacity roster are also supposed to be sent to all state licensed dealers. Also, your local licensing authority is supposed to furnish a copy of the roster to all new and renewal applicants for a license to carry a firearm or firearms identification card.

Why Can't I Buy Certain Handguns that I’ve Seen in Catalogs?

Massachusetts licensed dealers are limited as to what guns which they can sell to you. The dealer can only sell you handguns that comply with two standards - the law (see Chapter 140, section 123 of the Massachusetts General Law), and the regulations of the Attorney General (940 CMR 16.00).

More About the Standards in the Law
Chapter 140, section 123, of the Massachusetts General Laws states that a dealer may only sell guns that can pass a drop test, are not prone to repeat firing, and which meet a certain materials standard.
In order to make this requirement understandable, the state approved “independent testing laboratories” and a testing procedure. Manufacturers of handguns may now choose to pay these labs to perform the tests mentioned in the law.
The labs sent their certified results to the Gun Control Advisory Board, which reviews the results to ensure the tests were performed properly and that the guns passed the tests. They then vote on whether to recommend that the gun be on the Approved Firearms Roster. The Executive Office of Public Safety then acts on these recommendations and publishes a new roster. These regulations are found in 501 CMR 7.00.
Some smaller manufacturers can not afford to pay for the testing. Still other manufacturers object to the whole concept of the testing, and have no wish to comply. And manufacturers of top of the line competition models costing $1500 and up have no desire to pay someone to drop three of their firearms onto a concrete surface. Therefore, before the testing laboratories were even approved by the state, it was clear several product lines would not be available through Massachusetts licensed dealers.
The Bottom Line on the Standards of the Law

In order for a dealer to sell a handgun in Massachusetts a gun must be on the Approved Weapons Roster. There is only one exemption, established by section 79 of Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998:

“SECTION 79. Clause Eighteenth to Twenty-first, inclusive, of said section 123 of said chapter 140, inserted by section 19 of this act, shall not apply to any firearm lawfully owned or possessed under a license issued under said chapter 140 on the effective date of this act.”
More About the Standards of the Attorney General

The second standard a gun must pass is one put forth by the Attorney General as a supposed consumer protection measure. See GOAL’s Regulatory Fraud report for more information on the history of these regulations.
The Attorney General has gone on record (see Enforcement notice #3, issued February 2002) as stating that guns that are on the Approved Weapons Roster comply with portions of the regulations.
However, in addition, the Attorney General requires that:

•Guns sold by dealers must have mechanisms that preclude an average five year old from operating the handgun, such as requiring multiple motions or a ten pound trigger pull;

•Guns must have either a load indicator or magazine safety disconnect.
Generally speaking, manufacturers provide notice to the Attorney General that they believe their guns meet his standards. If the AG does not object, the manufacturer will release the firearms for sale in Massachusetts.
Exemptions: Even if a manufacturer has not certified that their guns are available to the Attorney General, they could be sold under certain limited conditions. That is, the Attorney General’s regulations will not prohibit the sale of:

•guns manufactured prior to October 21, 1998;

•guns sold to law enforcement or military;

•guns solely designed and sold specifically for target shooting competition;

•museums or educational collectors; and

•antique firearms.
These regulations have caused a fair amount of confusion. First, because the Attorney General has refused to compile a list of firearms which meet the standards. Secondly, because that office’s standard response to questions is “you’ll have to ask your lawyer.”
Between the two standards, the number of guns available to Massachusetts’s citizens has been greatly diminished.
Can I Bypass the Regulations and Standards in the Law by Buying a Handguns From a Dealer in Another State?
By federal law, a dealer from another state may not sell you a handgun directly, he must ship the handgun to a dealer in your state, where the transfer takes place. This means the gun must still comply with the Attorney General’s standards, and the standards in the law.

Do These Standards Apply to Private Sales?
No, the standards of the law and of the Attorney General, apply only to retail sales by dealers, not to private sales between individuals.

Are Private Citizens Forbidden to Own Guns if They are NOT on the Approved Weapons Roster?
No, the list is a list of firearms that can be sold at retail by licensed dealers. Neither standard – the law or the Attorney General – limits directly the type of guns a citizen may own.

Why Hasn't This Been Brought to Court?

It has. The Attorney General first proposed these regulations in 1996. At that time, a group representing the industry, the American Shooting Sports Coalition, sought and received an injunction against the regulations, so that they were not allowed to take effect until the court case had been heard. Although the manufacturers won at the lower level courts, they lost at the higher level due to a failure to appeal a certain decision. This was compounded by the fact that the ASSC was dissolving at the time. Their attorney failed to notify other groups, such as GOAL, NRA, or NSSF of the pending appeal, or we most certainly would have picked up on the appeal. Because of this court action, many of the avenues we would have chosen have been closed to us.
For more information, see Regulatory Fraud, our report on what our Freedom of Information Act disclosed.

Also check this out: http://www.goal.org/Documents/law_faq_pdfs/howdoi.pdf

Welcome to NES!!!

one of the instructors at the BGRA said stuff similar to this, like it was a loophole or something. My memory might be foggy, though.

I don't think it's right, though. The BPD corrected me on this one when I asked.

My instructor at the pistol safety course said the exact same thing. Ok to carry concealed with LTC-A hunting & target restrictions if going to and from range, and he also mentioned that the law doesn't specify that you can't stop at other places (hinting that it is ok to carry concealed as long as you say you're on your way to or from the range).

I'm not versed in the laws enough to be sure if it's true or not, but my LTC-A has no restrictions so I wasn't too worried about it either. For what it's worth, my instructor also said you're not allowed to carry in any place that serves alcohol (including restaurants), or into banks, but I've heard differing opinions on that as well.

Last edited:
If you are a Ma. resident you cannot buy an SR9 period. They are not Ma. compliant regardless of your class of license! You can only buy guns that are Ma. compliant period...regardless of your class! You need an FID or any LTC to buy any Ma. compliant handgun! There is not a sperate list for B licensee's than for A licensee's, there is just a list for State compliant guns! You have to check the list for each make and model gun, not every make/model gun that meets Ma. reguirements are Ma. legal (unless it is pre 1998 and grandfathered and the gun has never left Ma.)!

[thinking]

I got nothing wrong buddy! I sell guns everyday to Ma residents and to non Ma residents!
Class A and B licenses are different but not for buying handguns OUTSIDE of Ma. ANY FID ot LTC will allow you to purchase a Ma. compliant handgun (there are no high capacity handguns on there Ma. compliant list!!)
The only difference is INSTATE if you are buying a grandfathered handgun with or w/o high capacity..but that is just INSTATE!!

YES you can buy a pistol with an FID!

[rolleyes]

I am a guy that sells firearms everyday to Mass residents..and one that doesn't believe everything i read on the internet...I dont have to use the search button to find out the laws...I get mine from the ATF!!

So do I. Are you sure you're getting stuff from the correct ATF?

not new guns! new guns have to be on the Ma. compliant list not by capability..but have to be submitted for testing and been approved to make the list! Only pre-ban guns of low capacity can be sold instate Ma. as grandfatheres guns! Not all guns that have Ma. compliant specs are Ma. compliant!

picard-facepalm.jpg

Damn, I wish Scrivener was still here sometimes.

Last edited:
I'm not versed in the laws enough to be sure if it's true or not, but my LTC-A has no restrictions so I wasn't too worried about it either. For what it's worth, my instructor also said you're not allowed to carry in any place that serves alcohol (including restaurants), or into banks, but I've heard differing opinions on that as well.

FWIW, getting info from LEO's can be good and bad, some are very well versed in gun laws, while some just spout off what they feel. I would caution against taking it as being THE LAW. Everything I have read, both online here and via the web about MA gun laws, they are confusing and worded as such as to cause huge amounts of confusion.

I am not a lawyer so please understand this is not legal advice, nor do I think I know it all.

Carrying in a bar or establishment that serves alcohol is ok, providing you are not consuming said alcohol, or their is no rules posted in the establishment barring you from having said weapon.

Honestly, carrying in the Bank, I do not pretend to know the answer, their for, better safe than sorry, I don't at this time. I am in the same boat as Will Munny on that.

You can not carry in a federal buildings, state and federal courts, schools K thru college ( with out written permission), the state house, or any building with metal detectors, and any private buissness that has rules or signs posted saying no weapons or firearms.

Those are the ones I know about, their may be a couple more.

Your instructor is FOS. The only places that MGLs prohibit you from carrying in are schools.

Federal property has its own regulations. Individual establishments and locations may set their own rules. And you can't carry under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Any more questions?

OK... time for another internet search... notice his self-assigned tagline!

:))

"Can't keep my mouth shut sometimes!"

About fomocofan

Occupation
Truck-driver

OK... time for another internet search... notice his self-assigned tagline!

:))

"Can't keep my mouth shut sometimes!"

About fomocofan

Occupation
Truck-driver

Oh a truckdriver huh, I though he was a gun dealer, or so that was the impresion he left me with. I still hold my call out, troll and a liar, seems I was right about at least one and have my suspisions on the other.

Spreading mis-information is one thing, but spreading bad and wrong info is ten times worse. Hope he never returns!

OK... that particular truck driver info is from 2005. But here is something more recent:

"Gentlemen:

My name is James and I am a salesman at KTP. Our prices are right where they should be for a retail store on HK's. Right around 15% under list price, Which is also just about 10% over dealer price!

If there are dealers selling guns at dealer price, god bless them...but that hardly means our prices our insane!

Yes, we have a great selection and I would be glad to meet fellow HKers and talk about HK's in the store.. "

Works at KTP as well, might have to give them a call and ask for James.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44932

fomocofan

Gentlemen:

My name is James and I am a salesman at KTP. Our prices are right where they should be for a retail store on HK's. Right around 15% under list price, Which is also just about 10% over dealer price!

If there are dealers selling guns at dealer price, god bless them...but that hardly means our prices our insane!

Yes, we have a great selection and I would be glad to meet fellow HKers and talk about HK's in the store..

Ok so he is a counter boy at KTP,he's spouting garbage he may have learned from another uninformed carpet dweller. I really doubt he has an FFL...........thank god!

I will just say that I am not wrong and leave it at that...BTW, I doubt you WILL leave it at that!

fomocofan is now banned... end of discussion. I would suggest that this thread be closed and locked away so that there is no confusion created for those searching for the truth about MA laws.

They are confusing enough on their own, and misinformation from idiots will not help.

Best,

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom