• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Guy.

So after being licensed for some time now I have finally gone and set up the purchase of my first pistol. I have been to the range a few times to try out diffent guns, but I have never owned one. Now that I will finally have my own I am looking for some information.

~Things that I need that I might not think of.
~Reasonably priced quality rounds for the range and good places to buy.
~Looking for recommendations on a good quality safe for a reasonable price. (I did see the safe thread and I am researching that now.)
~Good sources of information to read up on tips, product reviews, cleaning, etc. (Other than here of course)

Pretty much looking for any advice or information that you would give to somebody purchasing their first firearm.

Thanks,
Randy

You need a .22 caliber handgun in addition to whatever gun you were thinking about buying. Much cheaper to shoot and thus you can shoot a brick a week for about $9.

.22 practice is one of the best ways to learn to shoot better.

Also need cleaning kits for both, ear and eye protection, targets, lubricant, and ammunition. I recommend Walmart for ammunition as they are about as cheap as retail stores will get.

For one handgun, I recommend a Stack-On safe, one of their small safes. Not the cabinets.

If you will be carrying, I'd suggest several types of holsters to suit different seasons and clothing.

Get some O/C also if you carry so there's an alternative to deadly force.

If it's a pistol, spare mag, revolver speed loader/strips and belt carriers for them.

Join GOAL and find or make the time to take the Concealed Carry course they offer. It's an eye opener and darn well worth it.

Thanks for the Info. I planned on picking up a cleaning kit, ear protection, lube and plenty of ammo. I already have good quality eye protection and it comes with a second mag but I may pick up another one. I guess maybe I will look at a 22 while I am there. ;)

I am purchasing a Walther P99 and it will not be a carry piece. At least not until I feel more comfortable with general operation but at that point I will probably have the SIG P239 that I want. I do plan to pick up holster or two so I can practice using them to get more comfortable. I did look at the stack on safe's but I was not sure the kind of security they offer seeing they are much cheaper than others I have found. Good to know people recommend them. That concealed carry course sounds like something I am very interested in so I will definately go check out GOAL.

Pardon my ignorance but what does o/c stand for?

I know I can probably find the answers to my questions already on here and I will be doing a lot of searching and reading but I do appreciate the help in the mean time.

Thanks,
Randy

Pardon my ignorance but what does o/c stand for?

Oleoresin Capsicum aka Pepper Spray

Ask all the questions you want we don't mind.

If you like Walther check out the P22. It's a .22 caliber handgun that is quite reasonably priced and many people seem to like them.

Welcome man!

I'm also in the market for a cheap .22 handgun, probably a Ruger MarkIII Hunter.

Wal-Mart has a decent cleaning kit stored in the glass case above the ammo (at least in my NH Wal-Mart). Same kit Four Seasons sells for the same price. Around $28 last time I checked. Also pick up a bag of cleaning cloths as the paper ones that come in the kit suck. Get yourself some high quality oil and a silicon towel to wipe down the wood/metal with after you are finished your cleaning.

I'd second the Walther for a couple of reasons.

If you are using it as a training gun. It is the closest in operation, look and feel to any carry gun (semi auto) that you may use.

Ruger is great if you plan on target shooting or plinking and such, but again, the P22 is the closest to any other semi auto that you can find.

regardless of what the rep is. I can tell you that the P22 that i have has been 100% flaw less. Not one FTE, jam or problems of any kind.

Like most new guns, the p22 had a rocky start. I can tell you they worked out the bugs. Just buy a newer one (AG stamp or higher)

If you are anywhere near the Easton/Brockton area, I would gladly let you come to my range and take mine for a spin, put a couple hundred down range with it and let me know what you think.

again, it is all in what you want it to do.

My advice would be TRY before you buy. Just like a car, you want to take a test drive. surely dont want to shell out $300+ for something that is going to sit in your safe and get sold later.

I love my P22, and it's look and feel is near identical to the P99 you are buying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom