• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New guy in the region question...

XTR

First post here, if any of you are members over at AccurateShooter I'm the same XTR there.

I currently live in TN about 25 minutes from Oak Ridge. I'm a very active long range F-TR shooter., and I'm about to have to move to MA for a while. (a couple of yrs)

Are there any F-Class competitions in the regions? I am under the impression that the closest 1000 yd matches are either DE or PA, or Canada.

I'm also building a PRS type rifle that I was planning to play with over in Cookville once or twice a yr (as opposed to my twice a month 1000 yd F class shooting) but now I'm thinking that there may be more opportunies for that type of competition in the region. I'll be living somewhere inside of 495 and outside of 95, we haven't pinned that part down yet.

I have been lurking for a while, I've already planned to put all of my MA felonies in storage outside of the state before I move. I will have some questions about getting set up in the Commonwealth, I'll put those in another thread, but for now I'd like to know what the options are out there for rifle competitions. (I'm not a XTC shooter, and I've only dabled in Service Rifle, but they are not my obsessions)

XTR,
I suggest you post this in the Rifle Competion section.
While the majority of the shooters there are Across the Course shooters, they may have appropriate information that you seek.
There was / is a club north of Albany, N.Y. that has a 1000 yard range. What matches are held, I can't say, I'm an action shooter for the most part.
Good Luck, and welcome to New England

Why not look for a place in southern new Hampshire? You'll be able to keep your ma felonies here, in nh.

Why not look for a place in southern new Hampshire? You'll be able to keep your ma felonies here, in nh.

We are moving to the region because my wife has gotten a job in downtown Boston, so the commute time is critical to our choice of residence. My inlaws live in NH. Looking at reasonable commutes to the center of the city I don't think we can practically do NH. We are looking hard at the options. My firearms hobbies, and my very southern roots and views would be better served in NH, but from a practical standpoint it's probably not feasible to do NH. It as my first thought.

As suggested I'll post in the rifle competition section.

First post here, if any of you are members over at AccurateShooter I'm the same XTR there.

I currently live in TN about 25 minutes from Oak Ridge. I'm a very active long range F-TR shooter., and I'm about to have to move to MA for a while. (a couple of yrs)

Are there any F-Class competitions in the regions? I am under the impression that the closest 1000 yd matches are either DE or PA, or Canada.

I'm also building a PRS type rifle that I was planning to play with over in Cookville once or twice a yr (as opposed to my twice a month 1000 yd F class shooting) but now I'm thinking that there may be more opportunies for that type of competition in the region. I'll be living somewhere inside of 495 and outside of 95, we haven't pinned that part down yet.

I have been lurking for a while, I've already planned to put all of my MA felonies in storage outside of the state before I move. I will have some questions about getting set up in the Commonwealth, I'll put those in another thread, but for now I'd like to know what the options are out there for rifle competitions. (I'm not a XTC shooter, and I've only dabled in Service Rifle, but they are not my obsessions)

I'm running the midrange prone matches at Reading this year and F-class shooters are very much welcome. We only have a 600 yard range so no long range here. (Closest one that I know of is Forbes in Albany, NY.)

Here's a link to the Reading schedule: http://readinghighpower.com/2015 Match Bulletins/RRR 2015 Schedule.pdf

EDIT: I merged the threads

Last edited:
VERY jealous of you being so close to oak ridge.

if moving to MA is a must, Reading will likely be your new (short term) home for rifle. Like Jason said, we have a ton of MRP matches on the schedule (F-TR always welcome), although dont be surprised if we try to get ya shooting with the rest of us (in a sling)

what are you running for an F-TR rig?

Guys, the current Leach and Wimbledon cup champions shoot at ORSA can't get me into a sling, you don't stand a chance. Though I do actually have a service rifle built on a pre-ban Colt lower with a White Oak Precision upper that I've take out to the CMP games once. I do own a coat and a glove, it just doens't feed the OCD monkey like F-TR does.

I have two rifles that I shoot in TR, my main is a Defiance Rebel in a PR&T stock with a NF Comp scope. Both of my current barrels for it are Kreigers
My backup, which as it turns out has won more than a few trinkets, is a R700 in a PR&T stock with a 42NXS scope. I shoot it as my backup at 1000 with a Bartline, and I'm also playing with it with a 224 Lilja 3 groove and 90VLDs as a midrange rifle.

I'm shooting the Sinclair Fullbore Nationals next week at Butner, I haven't decided if I'm shooting 308 or 223 from the short lines yet. I've been experimenting with the 223 and I like shooting it but I haven't got it tight enough to take into competition yet. (for the most part My 308s hold under .5 vertical at 1000 yards )

I shoot HM at mid range (Current TN state champion), but Oak Ridge is a BIATCH at 1000. I've been flirting with Master at long range in F-TR for about a yr now but just can't seem to get over the hump. I shot a 96.something% at the Bergers in Phoenix in Feb, came close but no master card for me.

Wade Fillingame
Currently still in TN.

Reading is a challenging range so you'll have some fun even if it's just midrange. No wind to speak of but we get a lot of mirage off the swamp to keeps things interesting.

Nashua, NH also has MRP matches on their beautiful range, and I assume Pelham, NH will also have some on their schedule. Scarborough in ME is a nice range too, Hamden ME is unique (in a good way,) Bolton VT is another option. Lots of good MRP matches within a 2ish hour drive from Boston.

You should definitely check out Forbes for long range even if it is a bit of a hike.

A bunch of us will be going to Butner for the Eastern Regionals next month. Save a few X's for us.

+1 for the move to NH. My fiance and I moved to a boarder town and commute to Cambridge and downtown Boston every day. You realize the commute is worth every minute when you step into a gun shop <and can buy anything you want> or travel to a range and don't have to jump through legal hoops just to transport your firearms or feel like a felon for just having them! Any town on the boarder in NH is close to the great competition clubs like Nashua, Pelham, Woburn Sportsmans and Reading Rifle.
Just my 3 cents <inflation>
Hope to see you at the range!

Back
Top Bottom