New gun suggestion?

I have a SW .38 Bodyguard for work/carry and a Ruger SR40c for the house. Thinking of a new addition to the family? Suggestions? If its a rifle, i'd have to splurge on a safe as well but i do have room for another firearm in the current safe.

What do you want to do with it?

If you want to protect your home, I'd suggest a shotgun.

If you want to work on marksmanship, and perhaps defend your Liberty, a military pattern rifle.

If you want to sit out back and shoot cans, a .22 rifle.

If you want to bag an elk, a fine bolt action.

...Many possibilities, grasshopper. [smile]

Open to all the above! Just looking for something i will enjoy having in my collection for a long long time.

What do you want to do with it?

If you want to protect your home, I'd suggest a shotgun.

If you want to work on marksmanship, and perhaps defend your Liberty, a military pattern rifle.

If you want to sit out back and shoot cans, a .22 rifle.

If you want to bag an elk, a fine bolt action.

...Many possibilities, grasshopper. [smile]

I'll throw out a tidbit; the supply of M1 Garands is not infinite, and they're never going to be less expensive than they are now. The ammo likewise. This rifle is reliable, powerful, accurate, and fits the bill for defending your Liberty should the need arise. It's also collectible and has possibly the greatest American History of any small arm that's readily available and still serviceable. While an AR-15 is going to be the better overall choice if you really want a fighting gun, the M1 is a Rifleman's rifle, and perhaps more importantly in the very near future, the supply is dwindling.

Can you tell I haven't scratched that itch yet? [grin]

Everybody should have a 12ga shotgun. And a .22 rifle. And an AK (or maybe an AR). Couple of Mosins. Ruger Mark III. Winchester 94.

It's a pretty broad question. I'd say shotgun or .22 pistol to start with.

Well if you want to keep your current safe, I would recommend a .357 mag revolver.

I got one for Christmas and I don't know why I waited so long. I love shooting it! It's a very fun gun to shoot.

If your set on a rifle. I love my AR.

The suggestion of the M1 garand is good also, I shot my buddies and it was sweet! Ammo is not cheap tho.

... I shot my buddies and it was sweet!
Don't mean to nitpick punctuation, but I got a chuckle reading that "shooting your buddies" (as opposed to "buddy's") was sweet. [grin]

Being a history buff with a leaning toward practicality, I agree with the M1 Garand recommendation, but a pump action 12ga should be in every house and skeet/trap is fun.

Last edited:
Just from a "building my collection" perspective I would say any mil-spec rifle you choose, or maybe one of these...

1911.jpg

Favorite pistol ever, shot 1911's before but I gotta say I'm smitten.

Instead of an M1 Garand, how about gettin an M1A? Almost the same thing, ammo is cheaper, plus the mag is removable. Definitely not knocking the Garand because I absolutely love em but the M1A is a total beast.

Back
Top Bottom