New Gun Store ~ Heritage Gun & Coin, West Warwick, RI

Heritage is now at 250 cowesett ave, across the street and down a bit from their old location.

Are they open now? The last I saw, the new location wasn't open yet. I'm itching to see the new place. My reloading bench is about out of supplies and my presses are screaming at me for some action.

Are they open now? The last I saw, the new location wasn't open yet. I'm itching to see the new place. My reloading bench is about out of supplies and my presses are screaming at me for some action.

They were open today. Sign on the road with GUNS in large letters. No sign on the storefront yet, still a flower shop sign above their door.

Looks like a little larger store than the old one. Lots of reloading supplies in stock like you're used to.

Last edited:
Yup, went there on Friday. It looks like they're still unpacking a bit hopefully but there is pleeeenty of reloading supplies scattered throughout. They also appear to be pretty busy having just reopened.

I was in today and found the employee that "helped" me to be quite rude and condescending. His attitude was totally uncalled for. I would rather pay a $20 transfer fee at a Mass shop then deal with them again. I'm a very soft spoken individual who was raised to have good manners, and to treat people with respect and I expect the same in return.

This is one of the reasons I will drive an hour and a half north to Four Seasons just to deal with Carl.

I agree with the rude and condescending welcome. I went there to browse and to lean about the laws and requirements regarding handguns in RI. I waited in line for a half hour while they attended to a woman (not what you are thinking she was at least 50+) who wanted to buy a handgun. They certainly did not give me the same service, and didn't seem as interested to help me. Hey I know some people go into these shops and they know exactly what they want, but first time buyers can feel confused, uneducated, and overwhelmed. They did little to help the process, and it seemed like forced conversation. I eventually ended up at D&L and it was totally different. First off D&L has an amazing selection of firearms, and has plenty of staff to help you with your purchase. I know D&L has received a lot of heat on this forum for high ammo prices, and transfer fees, but they have the best customer service for sure. I am sure these guys work on a commission, and they must get a lot of tire kickers, and window browsers, which can understandably be frustrating. But if they want repeat clients they should rethink their strategy. I would rather pay a little more for good service, and a huge selection (who wants to buy a rifle or handgun they have never held in their hand, and wait a few weeks to get it?) than less for a hassle. Just my thoughts, after I left there I knew I was never going back.

Last edited:
I agree with the rude and condescending welcome. I went there to browse and to lean about the laws and requirements regarding handguns in RI. I waited in line for a half hour while they attended to a woman (not what you are thinking she was at least 50+) who wanted to buy a handgun. They certainly did not give me the same service, and didn't seem as interested to help me. Hey I know some people go into these shops and they know exactly what they want, but first time buyers can feel confused, uneducated, and overwhelmed. They did little to help the process, and it seemed like forced conversation. I eventually ended up at D&L and it was totally different. First off D&L has an amazing selection of firearms, and has plenty of staff to help you with your purchase. I know D&L has received a lot of heat on this forum for high ammo prices, and transfer fees, but they have the best customer service for sure. I am sure these guys work on a commission, and they must get a lot of tire kickers, and window browsers, which can understandably be frustrating. But if they want repeat clients they should rethink their strategy. I would rather pay a little more for good service, and a huge selection (who wants to buy a rifle or handgun they have never held in their hand, and wait a few weeks to get it?) than less for a hassle. Just my thoughts, after I left there I knew I was never going back.
I actually had similar service at Heritage to a degree. To be fair to them, they were still getting the shop squared away after the move and there were a bunch of people in the store. While there my wife and I were getting eyed up and down the entire time by one or two people in the store. As younger folks who were just starting, we both felt relatively uncomfortable and felt somewhat let down with all the good things we had heard. I think as we were walking out the door, someone finally asked if there was anything they could help us with after about 5-10 minutes in the store. As for D&L, we felt somewhat the same there. By the time we were able to get someones attention, the answers to questions were rushed and it seemed like they wanted to be done with us and move onto the next customer. As for Heritage I think when we're able to, we plan on going back there when they have a bit more time to settle in as I hear they're one of the best places in the area to look for reloading.

Hey Ceasar243 1 post here after 6 months on the board and it is a negative one. Why not try introducing yourself to the board and make some friends and maybe you won't get banned here like you did on Perfect Union after 3 weeks for running your mouth.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Dave

Hey Ceasar243 1 post here after 6 months on the board and it is a negative one. Why not try introducing yourself to the board and make some friends and maybe you won't get banned here like you did on Perfect Union after 3 weeks for running your mouth.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Dave

Good reply but all you did was "poison the well" and ignored the material in my post. I got temp banned and never went back, seems people don't like it when your opinion and views are different than theirs. This sub forum is gun dealership reviews, and that is what I did. If you don't like it, to bad, this is America baby! I come here for info/opinions and to post my own, not to be told how to go about my membership pal. My post is on topic and is valid, I didn't feel welcome in "your shop" and I would like to relay that to others. I have sent many friends of mine to D&L and they agree that they were very noob friendly, and offered great advise and direction. This is valuable info and gun shop owners should take note that first impression (especially for first time buyers) is key to retaining return customers and is just good business practice. Why don't you bark at every other critique of your favorite gun shop?

I know D&L has received a lot of heat on this forum for high ammo prices, and transfer fees, but they have the best customer service for sure. I am sure these guys work on a commission......

I don't think I know of any gun shops that pay their employees commission.... and I don't think I would shop at one that did.

Good reply but all you did was "poison the well" and ignored the material in my post. I got temp banned and never went back, seems people don't like it when your opinion and views are different than theirs. This sub forum is gun dealership reviews, and that is what I did. If you don't like it, to bad, this is America baby! I come here for info/opinions and to post my own, not to be told how to go about my membership pal. My post is on topic and is valid, I didn't feel welcome in "your shop" and I would like to relay that to others. I have sent many friends of mine to D&L and they agree that they were very noob friendly, and offered great advise and direction. This is valuable info and gun shop owners should take note that first impression (especially for first time buyers) is key to retaining return customers and is just good business practice. Why don't you bark at every other critique of your favorite gun shop?

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions because as you said "This is America" but why does every negative post about Heritage usually come from people that recommend D&L in the same sentence and never any of the other gun shops in RI? I'm not going to debate the good or bad of the different shops in RI since I've spent $$$ in all of them, just stating the facts.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions because as you said "This is America" but why does every negative post about Heritage usually come from people that recommend D&L in the same sentence and never any of the other gun shops in RI? I'm not going to debate the good or bad of the different shops in RI since I've spent $$$ in all of them, just stating the facts.

My intention was never to start trouble and unfortunately I always seem to find myself in the middle of some issue that I didn't start. I agree that my first post was in an awkward section, and I had just finished reading the reviews on both stores here on NES. How am I supposed to know that people constantly compare the two? In this case I think the two are compared because they both use internet advertising therefore bring in a high volume of clientele. When I first was interested in buying a gun I searched for Gun Shops in RI and D&L and Heritage were some of the few that even had websites. I now buy the majority of my supplies online, but I go to Competition Shooting Supplies (good 5.56 ammo prices), D&L, and Bullseye SS.

I was temp banned from Perfect Union for an argument over the Mini 14 and the new Archangel plastic stock that is due to come out this summer. I simply stated that the Mini 14's appeal is it's M14 look with a walnut stock, and why would anyone bother trying to turn a Mini 14 into an AR (and I wasn't the only one who felt this way)? I would just buy an AR to fill that need of tactical rifle, or for extra rail space, etc. And 3-4 people jumped down my throat for comparing the Mini and an AR, and we went back and forth until I got temp banned for "not playing nice with others". I assure you I am not here to make trouble, I want to contribute to the forum in a constructive manner. Please excuse me for being tactless.

Last edited:
My intention was never to start trouble and unfortunately I always seem to find myself in the middle of some issue that I didn't start. I agree that my first post was in an awkward section, and I had just finished reading the reviews on both stores here on NES. How am I supposed to know that people constantly compare the two? In this case I think the two are compared because they both use internet advertising therefore bring in a high volume of clientele. When I first was interested in buying a gun I searched for Gun Shops in RI and D&L and Heritage were some of the few that even had websites. I now buy the majority of my supplies online, but I go to Competition Shooting Supplies (good 5.56 ammo prices), D&L, and Bullseye SS.

I was temp banned from Perfect Union for an argument over the Mini 14 and the new Archangel plastic stock that is due to come out this summer. I simply stated that the Mini 14's appeal is it's M14 look with a walnut stock, and why would anyone bother trying to turn a Mini 14 into an AR (and I wasn't the only one who felt this way)? I would just buy an AR to fill that need of tactical rifle, or for extra rail space, etc. And 3-4 people jumped down my throat for comparing the Mini and an AR, and we went back and forth until I got temp banned for "not playing nice with others". I assure you I am not here to make trouble, I want to contribute to the forum in a constructive manner. Please excuse me for being tactless.

Nothing against D&L here, but interesting that you are a new user and have used half of your posts to run down Heritage and praise D&L. Reminds me of what was going on with another forum.. same tactics. I smell cashmere and bullschumer.

Why can't I contribute to the forum, especially in subjects that I am familiar with? Others have posted negative responses to both shops and I don't see you guys bashing them. I have no personal ties to either shop, it is merely my opinion/review. Online reviews of products and business' provide great insight for potential clients and buyers, but there are some misleading and unfair reviews. It is up to you to decide which reviews are relevant and which aren't. If I did shoddy work on a clients home, or was rude/condescending in my negotiations I would expect the same thing. I know you can't keep everyone happy that walks through your door, but a good atmosphere and good client relations is very important for growing your business. The condescending responses I have received for my opinions on this forum parallel the welcome/service I receive in some small business' around NE. Maybe that is why I buy 80% of my firearm accessories online.

I think what he is getting at is that you have made few attempts to post anywhere else in the forum since joining in January. You finally post and it is to bash one shop and praise it's number one competitor. I think other readers/posters are looking for a little bit more credibility.

Why can't I contribute to the forum, especially in subjects that I am familiar with? Others have posted negative responses to both shops and I don't see you guys bashing them. I have no personal ties to either shop, it is merely my opinion/review. Online reviews of products and business' provide great insight for potential clients and buyers, but there are some misleading and unfair reviews. It is up to you to decide which reviews are relevant and which aren't. If I did shoddy work on a clients home, or was rude/condescending in my negotiations I would expect the same thing. I know you can't keep everyone happy that walks through your door, but a good atmosphere and good client relations is very important for growing your business. The condescending responses I have received for my opinions on this forum parallel the welcome/service I receive in some small business' around NE. Maybe that is why I buy 80% of my firearm accessories online.

If that is truly the case, no harm/no foul, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It has been a tactic of someone on behalf of D&L to sign up and run down other stores on this and other forums then act amazed when people are not too stupid to fall for it and call the poster out. I merely pointed out that your first few posts on the forums was to run down Heritage and to praise D&L, and it fits the profile to a tee. Hopefully that is not the case and you will stick around and give a positive contribution to the forum.

Oh my god no, I am am in no way affiliated with D&L and I don't know any of the people who work there on a personal level. The only guy who's name I know is George and I am pretty sure he doesn't know my name, but he recognizes me when I go in there. He is a really nice guy, and has really helped educate me and steer me in the right direction. They are a bit expensive and like I said I now buy most of my mags, gear, all my ammo, and shooting supplies online from various different sites.

I guess that explains the hostile responses I got for my posts, and I completely understand why you would react that way. I did not join this forum to start trouble, or to aid in professional competition. As far as I know both shops probably have their regular loyal clientele and my opinion shouldn't hurt their business, and that is not my intention either. I know it looks fishy that my first post was a negative one, and my second was a positive one for D&L but the Dealer Review section was one of the only sections in which I could actually post my experience. I like this forum because almost everyone is a local and they are familiar with the shops and ranges reviewed. If I posted the same review on Perfect Union nobody would know what I was talking about. From my limited experience reading and posting here it is a tight knit group, and seems most of you know each other and shoot together. I am truly sorry I got off on the wrong foot here, I am here to contribute, help others, and throw in my 2 cents when possible.

Something I have come to realize on the internet, in regards to vendors and buyers (like amazon, ebay, other forums), is that people like to justify their purchases and are very loyal to certain brands or businesses. When I was on Perfect Union Ar-15 guys trashed the Mini 14 just because they owned an AR and not because the Mini had any particular problem. They usually said something along the lines of... "Your better off with an AR, it is more accurate." Honda owners don't like Toyota, Sony playstation owners don't like XBox, 2 stroke guys don't like 4 stroke, etc. The reality is that usually both variants are good, and it is just personal preference or dumb luck as to why to own one and not the other. The individuals who own the opposite of what you own get defensive about your opinion because it is bias, and usually it is not a valid gripe or critique of the product. I am not posting here just because I like D&L and want to help them out, I just had a bad vibe when I went in the place and I can see why that would be misinterpreted.

Last edited:
Frank kicked my dog!!!

And he likes cats. [laugh]

Actually, they did me a REALLY big favor. They ordered a hard to find rifle for me. When the distributer basically said "good luck, we can't get the thing!" Frank and Dave not only took care of me on the deposit but also said "if you can find one, ship it here and we will transfer it." (Free transfers, of course.).

Amazing customer service, thanks guys! [thumbsup]

(And no, Frank did not kick my dog. He even let me steal some of his french fries. Not sure about the cats though. [wink])

Been in a few more times for reloading supplies. New shop looks like it's coming along great. They seem to slowly be getting a much larger selection then they had at the old place. Heritage is the best place to get ammo and reloading supplies period. Their prices are typically better than what you can find even online and you get to support a local shop and instant gratification shopping.... I hate waiting for stuff to ship.

- Jon

Personally, I don't like either one of these shops for the same reasons listed by others and way many more of my own reasons. And no, I'm not going praise any other shop in this state, because basicallt they are all the same. You take the good with the bad, and I bought something from every one of them. Now I just assume to buy online without the hassles of dealing with ignorance. Let's face it, I bet more than half of the gun shoppers know more about guns than these guys. I sure know I do. How hard is it to do your research online, get consumer reviews, as well as expert reviews, and find out everything you need to know before you go into a shop like D&L and handle the gun. When I go in these places, I know exactly whats what, get a price, and move on. I don't hang around in a gun store like it is some kind of coffee shop eating cookies, shooting the bull, making new friends, or watching someone sit behind some desk like he's to busy to be bothered with me. And if you all think that Heritage is going to let you use the free transfer, multiple times to buy all your guns from someone else, your nuts. Ever notice how these guys are the only ones who charge you shipping for a gun. And if they included it in the price to begin with, you will realize there isn't any big difference than any other shop.
Ceasar, do yourself a favor, don't defend what you said, and don't get into it with one of Heritage's cronies. I could blast them off this site if I wanted to, and have multiple people to agree with me, but I won't do it because they are so thick over there, and I don't want some clown posting his futile reply taking shots at me that would amount to spit with me anyway. Let all their followers praise them and kiss up to them, what's important is that you gave them a shot, and they blew it. Use them for what you need and move on.

To be fair, after I've visited a few times we've gotten better service. Though my wife called in asking about an issue the other day and she had a bit of an issue. Like you said though, good comes with the bad. I'm not sure if it is my wife and I's age, but we do get a bit of getting ignored in quite a few different stores throughout the state.

Personally, I don't like either one of these shops for the same reasons listed by others and way many more of my own reasons. And no, I'm not going praise any other shop in this state, because basicallt they are all the same. You take the good with the bad, and I bought something from every one of them. Now I just assume to buy online without the hassles of dealing with ignorance. Let's face it, I bet more than half of the gun shoppers know more about guns than these guys. I sure know I do. How hard is it to do your research online, get consumer reviews, as well as expert reviews, and find out everything you need to know before you go into a shop like D&L and handle the gun. When I go in these places, I know exactly whats what, get a price, and move on. I don't hang around in a gun store like it is some kind of coffee shop eating cookies, shooting the bull, making new friends, or watching someone sit behind some desk like he's to busy to be bothered with me. And if you all think that Heritage is going to let you use the free transfer, multiple times to buy all your guns from someone else, your nuts. Ever notice how these guys are the only ones who charge you shipping for a gun. And if they included it in the price to begin with, you will realize there isn't any big difference than any other shop.
Ceasar, do yourself a favor, don't defend what you said, and don't get into it with one of Heritage's cronies. I could blast them off this site if I wanted to, and have multiple people to agree with me, but I won't do it because they are so thick over there, and I don't want some clown posting his futile reply taking shots at me that would amount to spit with me anyway. Let all their followers praise them and kiss up to them, what's important is that you gave them a shot, and they blew it. Use them for what you need and move on.

Hmm signs up 1 negative post and gone. [slap] Not even a Hi I'm Azz Kicker and I enjoy XXX on the New Folks Check In and Say Hi thread. I don't know if I smell cashmere or Bulls--t . Seems like a repeating pattern here [pot]

Dave

Hmm signs up 1 negative post and gone. [slap] Not even a Hi I'm Azz Kicker and I enjoy XXX on the New Folks Check In and Say Hi thread. I don't know if I smell cashmere or Bulls--t . Seems like a repeating pattern here [pot]

Dave

Heh.. yup, same ol' schumer.

I've done multiple transfers through them with no complaints from them, and they have never charged me for shipping a firearm. Just last week I sent in a couple good friends that are getting their first firearm from them and they had no complaints.

Last edited:
Just bought an XD Tactical from them last week and traded something in. Fair price on trade in and awesome price on the XD Tactical. My dad also did a transfer here at the same time. No issues with anything. Best shop I've been to in RI.

As usual Dave from Heritage, you don't know what your talking about. You think you know who I am? I believe this post is to give a review of Heritage, your shop. So, if I come across this site and decide to give my own personal review of your place, I'm supposed to have more than one post? What for? I gave my opinion of your place, so take the criticism like a man and try to do better next time for future customers, instead of trying to use what little knowledge you have to figure out who is posting these remarks. Your showing your true colors as a business man and it isn't pretty. I'm not here to go back and forth with you or any other of your cronies who like to take cheap shots at anyone that posts a negative remark. Who gives a rats how many posts I have made. My comment isn't valid because I don't return to this site every minute like you do? Again, why don't you concentrate on running your business and perhaps eliminating further bad comments.
By the way, the only reason I came back on this site is because I knew I would get some negative responses from you or someone else there hiding under another alias.

As usual Dave from Heritage, you don't know what your talking about. You think you know who I am? I believe this post is to give a review of Heritage, your shop. So, if I come across this site and decide to give my own personal review of your place, I'm supposed to have more than one post? What for? I gave my opinion of your place, so take the criticism like a man and try to do better next time for future customers, instead of trying to use what little knowledge you have to figure out who is posting these remarks. Your showing your true colors as a business man and it isn't pretty. I'm not here to go back and forth with you or any other of your cronies who like to take cheap shots at anyone that posts a negative remark. Who gives a rats how many posts I have made. My comment isn't valid because I don't return to this site every minute like you do? Again, why don't you concentrate on running your business and perhaps eliminating further bad comments.
By the way, the only reason I came back on this site is because I knew I would get some negative responses from you or someone else there hiding under another alias.

Well first of all I don't work for Heritage, Can't afford the cut in pay!. Their low prices, great selection and personal service speak for it's self. Second I don't care who you are, Everybody already knows who you are!
internet_tough_guy.jpg

Now go back to mom's cellar and play with your paintball gun!

I stopped by a few times over the last couple of weeks to grab some hard to find powder and primers that were surprisingly actually in stock. Despite the inventory/supply issues across the country (especially when other retailers jack up their prices) Heritage has kept the same prices I've been paying all along. This earns my respect as a company who knows how to treat its customers right.

I'm hoping they get some more Hornady dies in stock soon so I can reload some other calibers - mainly .223 and 9mm

--Jonny5

Just stopped in yesterday and picked up some N110 powder and other misc stuff. Their prices were some of the best I've seen. I like that they actually carry Vihtavuori powder and it's still only $31/lb.

Back
Top Bottom