New Gun Shop.

Would you shop and use a range in central MA area?

• I would occasionally shop and maybe shoot!

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • YES AND YES!

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Might check it out at best

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • Nah too far for me

Votes: 42 36.8%

• Total voters
Just keep in mind that the best way to make a small fortune with a commercial range is to start with a large one.

Semi-related, wasn't there supposed to be a gun shop opening somewhere near the old Union Products factory on 117 in Leominster? I remember hearing something about that...

Depends how incredibly expensive and poorly stocked the store is. If you add a creepy and unfriendly disposition on top of that it'd probably be a big success. Thats how many of the other local stores seem to survive.

Don't bother with Worcester. The WPD chief is a huge anti and already shut down one indoor range.

Semi-related, wasn't there supposed to be a gun shop opening somewhere near the old Union Products factory on 117 in Leominster? I remember hearing something about that...

Yeah, Armor Arms, was supposed to get one up and running, they posted the info when they were paying dealers. It was a good idea, but seemed to have some serious drawbacks, such as rules requiring you to buy and shoot their ammo, and not being allowed to keep the brass after. I also believe the range fee wasn't exactly cheap either....

I'd give it a go if I lived closer. But if I have to drive more than an hour, it would be highly unlikely that I'd go unless I was planning on being in the area for something else.

Yeah, Armor Arms, was supposed to get one up and running, they posted the info when they were paying dealers. It was a good idea, but seemed to have some serious drawbacks, such as rules requiring you to buy and shoot their ammo, and not being allowed to keep the brass after. I also believe the range fee wasn't exactly cheap either....

Did these folks ever open?? I was keeping an eye on them but they seem to have dropped off the radar?? Their web site had not been updated in several months last time I looked.

Ya there was supposed to be, I went looking for it one day and all I found was a sign, but no range!

That whole business model has epic fail written all over it.

If I was going to open an indoor pay range in central MA I would find a (relatively) gun friendly town just outside of Worcester, so you can stick your tongue out at Gemme. Someplace that is not far off Rte 190 or 290.

I think when BGR was open (the last range in worcester) they probably did a pretty decent business. The main problem in this state is the frigging politics, and local ones are king with things like gun shops.

There is at least a small market here because in central MA any way you slice it most of the competition is at least an hour away. The closest one to Wormtown is S&W, unless there is something in CT. In North Central MA, MFL is the closest.

-Mike

Last edited:
Things to keep in mind.... things that are must haves.....

No lame rules (eg, drawing from a holster SAFELY should be allowed, rapid fire should be allowed as long as your bullets are not hitting the walls, hangers, other peoples targets.... )

Ability to hang targets as close as 10 feet.

Range officer ON THE LINE watching shooters, especially the newbs. Cameras are great but they are no substitute for people patrolling the line.

Bullet trap that will AT LEAST handle up to .44 Magnum, and will take jacketed bullets. Taking rifles up to .308 would be the best, but that obviously might take the cost off the charts. Even just having a comfortable place to shoot handguns/PCCs, .22 rifles indoors would be a big deal in central MA.

Air filtration system and climate control must be decent.

Ability to make lane reservations, whether this is reserved via a membership or simply
calling ahead.

-Mike

Thanks guys for the feedback. This is something my old man has kicked around as his "retirement" career. He's kinda just playing around with the idea for right now. I think he more or less wants to do it as a cool "hangout" for him and his buddies

I think when BGR was open (the last range in worcester) they probably did a pretty decent business.

Perhaps one of the most poorly run shops ever (sorry if you're a member here) They had posted hours of operation that were obviously "just a suggestion". I tried going 3 or 4 times and they hadn't opened yet, or closed early. Their guns for sale were beat and overpriced. I had them change sites for me on a ruger and it looked like they used a sledge hammer to put them on.

It was a shame really, because it was close to my house and a place to shoot indoors when the weather didn't cooperate. I stopped going 'cause I got tired of getting there and having them not open during posted hours of operation

Back
Top Bottom