• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

new gun shop in SE Ma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this today on way home Commonwealth Firearms on 138 in Somerset . No affiliation just passing it on, good to see more shops opening around here

Last edited:
I'll have to stop in sometime

A link if anyone cares:
www.commonwealthfirearms.com

I go buy this place all the time and never noticed! Barber shop, pharmacy and gun shop all within a 1/4 mile of each other....sweet! Now maybe my wife will finally take her class for her LTC. she has no excuse now....its right down the street.

Last edited:
I stopped in this afternoon and met the owner Ed, seems like a very nice gentleman and we had a nice conversation. He is still waiting on his state license so he can't sell anything yet but he is raring to go. He's got some nice ideas for selling firearms and he showed me the classroom and the materials he is using in his classes. He is hoping that in the next few days he will be good to go. If your in the area stop in and say Hi.

He is in what used to be Patenuade Jewelers, right next to Somerset Paint and Wallpaper.

I found their page on Facebook a few weeks back but looks like they were still not selling anything and just doing classes for now. Hope they get all set soon, it'll be nice to have somewhere I can pop in along my usual route.

1903: is the entrance in the front? On the left of the building?

I found their page on Facebook a few weeks back but looks like they were still not selling anything and just doing classes for now. Hope they get all set soon, it'll be nice to have somewhere I can pop in along my usual route.

1903: is the entrance in the front? On the left of the building?

It's in the front

....stopped by this weekend,inventory is still slim, but I did happen to overhear the salesman tell a potential female buyer, as he was showing her a handgun, that you cannot carry more than 10 rounds in MA!![thinking][sad2]

Ed, we have never met, and I hope you visit this website ,but please train or inform your staff.

They also told me that the fee for consignment was 20% of the sale price.
I did not bother to ask how much their transfer fees are.

YMMV

....stopped by this weekend,inventory is still slim, but I did happen to overhear the salesman tell a potential female buyer, as he was showing her a handgun, that you cannot carry more than 10 rounds in MA!![thinking][sad2]

Ed, we have never met, and I hope you visit this website ,but please train or inform your staff.

YMMV

I really hate to say this becuase a shop in town is a good thing but I was in there one night, a guy was looking for a Python and the owner was telling him he could order him a new one. Not a good sign [sad2] I just didn't have the heart to say anything.

I really hate to say this becuase a shop in town is a good thing but I was in there one night, a guy was looking for a Python and the owner was telling him he could order him a new one. Not a good sign [sad2] I just didn't have the heart to say anything.

Ya he's from RI and after talking with him I think he knows he needs to brush up on MA. Gun law. I was asking him if he had a Smith that could do a comp on an AR and he didn't really know what was legal here in good Ol MA. But he seems like a good guy so hopefully he figures it out

YMMV
Ma Gen La Ch. 140 s. 131 prior to Agusust 13, 2014 and thereafter prevents any licensed gun store from selling anew firearm with more than a 10 round clip. I you or someowne elsce comes into a licensed gun store with a "pre ban" gun then we might be able to sell it. Next, Tranfers fees in most of the country are between $40.00-$80.00 we charge a full transferfor only $25.00. Consignments are 20% or by agreement of the consignee. Thank you Ed Scallon

Ya he's from RI and after talking with him I think he knows he needs to brush up on MA. Gun law. I was asking him if he had a Smith that could do a comp on an AR and he didn't really know what was legal here in good Ol MA. But he seems like a good guy so hopefully he figures it out
Than you , WHO ARE YOU SPEAKING OF = I AM SINGLED OUT AS THE OWNER BUT WE HAVE FIVE EMPLOYEES/OWNERS = WHAT FLAVOR DO YOU WANT TO CRITIZE? There are 5 employees from several jurisdictions. I am running to rescue of a misnomer since I am unaware of any PYTHON revolver we ever had or can order. I am licensed by the Commonwelath and and the Fedearl Government on a number of leverls including, but not limited to the practice of Law and the sales of firearms within the Commonwealth including Federal Law, if however, you feel that the conversation you overhearrd which you might not have paid particular attention to bothers you, and it was in a conversation that was in error, please contact me and I will be glad to discuss this issue with you. I would particularly like to know the date and time of this alleged reported conversation.

Again, I thank you for your imput, albiet incorrect

Ed Scallon, Pres
Commonwealth Firearms and Training Center, Ltd.

Ma Gen La Ch. 140 s. 131 prior to Agusust 13, 2014 and thereafter prevents any licensed gun store from selling anew firearm with more than a 10 round clip. I you or someowne elsce comes into a licensed gun store with a "pre ban" gun then we might be able to sell it. Next, Tranfers fees in most of the country are between $40.00-$80.00 we charge a full transferfor only $25.00. Consignments are 20% or by agreement of the consignee. Thank you Ed Scallon

telling someone "you cannot carry more than 10 rounds" is factually incorrect, even despite what MGL you "quoted". It just is flat out wrong. Here is the deal: I absolutely CAN carry more than 10 rounds, even if the gun is not "pre ban". The magazine status is all that matters. And yes, you WOULD be able to sell a "pre ban" guns, it isn't a question of "might be able to".

Please bone up on MA law a bit more.

Oh, I put "pre ban" in quotes because Ia m not sure you have the right definition, so Im using what I am assuming yours to be.

Just a feeling but I wouldn't expect them to "load up" on inventory either.

WOW, we where only opened 5 days when you wrote this post LOL. Please come down and visit our store. Im not sure if you'd be happy or disapointed. Our inventory has grown tremendosly I am very proud to say. We learn something new everyday, we are growing and have made many new friends. BTW our Grand Opening was a grand success ! We are growing at a rate of 12% per month, our products are very low, have gone through 40,000 rounds of ammo and 143 firearms in less than 90 days. Not to bad for a brand new small buisness.

telling someone "you cannot carry more than 10 rounds" is factually incorrect, even despite what MGL you "quoted". It just is flat out wrong. Here is the deal: I absolutely CAN carry more than 10 rounds, even if the gun is not "pre ban". The magazine status is all that matters. And yes, you WOULD be able to sell a "pre ban" guns, it isn't a question of "might be able to".

Please bone up on MA law a bit more.

Are you an Attorney? A Judge? Or a licensing agent? I am. I KNOW 940 cmr 16, I didnt right it, I dont like it, but we all must comply with it. IT'S THE CURRENT LAW!
Only Law enforcement or preban or used out of state can carry more that 10 rounds, subject to limitations by several soverign towns or city limitations.

Congrats on being an attorney, a judge and a licensing agent. If you were a judge or attorney, I doubt you would open a gun shop, as the income from being a judge or attorney is better than a gun shop owner.....

Only Law enforcement or preban or used out of state can carry more that 10 rounds, subject to limitations by several soverign towns or city limitations.

That is not what was reported that you said. Additionally, you stated "I you or someowne elsce comes into a licensed gun store with a "pre ban" gun then we might be able to sell it." WRONG. If it is a preban rifle, or a preban magazine, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SELL IT. This "might" crap is incorrect.

Good luck with your store. Sounds like you may need it.

10 round clip ? I think I see red flags flying already. Nothing preventing a gun shop from selling high capacity magazines manufactured prior to September 13, 1994 or from me carrying said magazines.

There is a glut of attorneys these days and the legal profession is no longer as lucrative as it once was. This is only compounded by those who are not fully conversant in the law.

Attorney Scallon you brought up the subject of the law degree. To me this implies a greater standard of semantic precision than you have thus demonstrated on this forum. Merely claiming credentials does not give you a free pass on this forum. There are laypersons here who teach Mass Firearms Law to LE and Attorneys and you may wish to engage in their services for refresher because since you have revealed your background to NES you are going to be held to a higher standard every time you write something on this forum or interact with an NES member in your store and chances are any personal interaction will make to this forum good, bad or indifferent.

Are you currently licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts ?

Than you , WHO ARE YOU SPEAKING OF = I AM SINGLED OUT AS THE OWNER BUT WE HAVE FIVE EMPLOYEES/OWNERS = WHAT FLAVOR DO YOU WANT TO CRITIZE? There are 5 employees from several jurisdictions. I am running to rescue of a misnomer since I am unaware of any PYTHON revolver we ever had or can order. I am licensed by the Commonwelath and and the Fedearl Government on a number of leverls including, but not limited to the practice of Law and the sales of firearms within the Commonwealth including Federal Law, if however, you feel that the conversation you overhearrd which you might not have paid particular attention to bothers you, and it was in a conversation that was in error, please contact me and I will be glad to discuss this issue with you. I would particularly like to know the date and time of this alleged reported conversation.

Again, I thank you for your imput, albiet incorrect

Ed Scallon, Pres
Commonwealth Firearms and Training Center, Ltd.

I think you quoted the wrong post, I said nothing about a python. Just that you told me your from Rhode island and a little rusty on MA. Gun law. Which is understandable since there ****ing ridiculous.
Don't take it as a criticism, I didn't mean it that way. I'm glad to see a local shop and hope your there for the long haul. Good luck

WOW, we where only opened 5 days when you wrote this post LOL. Please come down and visit our store. Im not sure if you'd be happy or disapointed. Our inventory has grown tremendosly I am very proud to say. We learn something new everyday, we are growing and have made many new friends. BTW our Grand Opening was a grand success ! We are growing at a rate of 12% per month, our products are very low, have gone through 40,000 rounds of ammo and 143 firearms in less than 90 days. Not to bad for a brand new small buisness.

In retrospect I was hasty in my judgement and apologize, my sarcasm comes from 25 years of being a MA gun owner!

Wow

MASS BBO shows him as Suspended.

Seems to be a real piece of work

I don't understand why some of you are being nasty? I won't respond to any of these allegations as it seems as though some of you are destined to discredit me. If any of you want to know me, you are welcome in my store. To those who seen to be intent on messing with my reputation, go ahead have a ball, it only shows your true character. Owning a gun shop was always a dream of mine. . Have a good live , we're all here for a short time. Enjoy yours. PS not only was I an Attorney for 14 yrs I was a Providence Police Officer for 20 retired honorably. I won't be on here any longer as I'm pretty disgusted at the kind of " men" who actually takes the time to discredit another man.. Unless you walk in another's shoes....don't judge!

Last edited:

Seems to be a real piece of work

I don't understand why some of you are being nasty? I won't respond to any of these allegations as it seems as though some of you are intent to discredit me.WHY? If any of you want to know me, you are welcome in our store. To those who seen to be intent on messing with my reputation, go ahead have a ball, it only shows your true character. Owning a gun shop was always a dream of mine. . Have a good life , we're all here for only a short time. Enjoy yours! P.S. not only was I an Attorney for 14 yrs I was a Providence Police Officer for 20. I won't be on here any longer as I'm pretty disgusted at the kind of " men" who actually takes the time to discredit another man.. Unless you walk in another mans shoes....don't judge!

Seems to be a real piece of work:

http://www.mass.gov/obcbbo/bd08-083.htm

No, after my suspension I decided to retire, at 61 I thought it was time to do so. Opening a Gun Store has always been a dream, one more thing to scratch off my bucket list.. Also, posting this link to try and embarrass me is certainly a low blow. People like you are certainly not stand up. Frankly, I'm disgusted and quite disappointed their are "men" like you on here. I thought I could join this site and learn from the best of the best. Because of this I will dismiss myself as I only surround myself with honorable men. Not people like yourself.

No, after my suspension I decided to retire, at 61 I thought it was time to do so. Opening a Gun Store has always been a dream, one more thing to scratch off my bucket list.. Also, posting this link to try and embarrass me is certainly a low blow. People like you are certainly not stand up. Frankly, I'm disgusted and quite disappointed their are "men" like you on here. I thought I could join this site and learn from the best of the best. Because of this I will dismiss myself as I only surround myself with honorable men. Not people like yourself].
[

Seems to me that what you did wasn't very honorable and you were the one that brought up the subject of being an attorney. Don't try to turn the tables and wrap yourself around the flag of virtue. Nobody cares if you were an attorney ex-cop or a combat vet or whatever. They want to deal with a business that's fair, honest, and where people are knowledgeable So far the red flags are flying.

You now have just dismissed all of NES as not being composed of honorable men. Go ahead and write off one of the largest and most influential shooting forums in this part of the country and remember that word of mouth advertising is the best form of advertising. You admonish us not to judge, but you are being very judgmental IMO.

Now I'm about 5 years older than you and I'm going to give you some advice : this is how I would have handled it. In the interest of full disclosure I was suspended from the bar. This was a very unhappy and tragic episode in my life and I am neither proud nor happy with myself. This experience has made me a better person and I learned and grew from it and now I am realizing a dream of opening a gun shop. Come and check us out and decide based on your experience with us and see if we are not the best in the area.

You have problems with both ego and contrition. BTW, ever hear of an attorney named Jesse Cohen?

Last edited:
One of the most important aspects of any business is customer service. Inventory, pricing, etc can all change but once you set a precedent for your store's reputation in regards to how people are treated it will be very difficult to reverse a negative viewpoint.

Ed it would serve you well to refrain from the following when communicating as a business on a public forum:
-Outright denying claims about interactions without checking with your staff first to clarify
-Demeaning every member of this site as 'dishonorable men' after a few posts. Do not alienate your client-base.

Proper responses to the above posts could include:
-Please let me check on that issue with my team and get back to you
-Could you quote the MGL you are referring to so I may research it further?
-Thank you for your comment but please PM (Private Message) me for further information on this topic

(oh, and just in case, IBTL)

Saw this today on way home Commonwealth Firearms on 138 in Somerset . No affiliation just passing it on, good to see more shops opening around here

+1...more shops opening is better than them closing...i'll give my money to any shop that i have a pleasant interaction with...had a buddy tell me to go check out a shop one time cause he said he had a good experience with them...since i was looking to buy a firearm i said why not...went there and talked to the owner and he really had no interest in finding me what i wanted so he lost my business...probably won't go back there unless i'm in a pinch for ammo or something...the buddy that referred me to that shop had a similar interaction when he went back there and tried to buy a firearm that the shop owner didn't have in stock...doubt he will be going back there anytime soon either

Sorry, I was not trying to be nasty. And I was not judging you. Just presenting some obvious facts. Ed, you said you were an attorney. I was just showing you were not, that you were suspended, that's all. I wish you no ill will, and hope your store does good, but I do not think I will be visiting anytime soon.

Also, it is fair for you to be mad at me for showing how you were full of crap, but please don't be ticked off at everyone on this board, stick around and you will find some good folks, and it might help your business.

Just be who you are, live your gun shop dream. And stop lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom