• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New gun shop in Salem MA?

There have been several gun shops in Salem only one that lasted was Bob’s over on Boston St. Jerry’s was good for hunting stuff Reliant on Margin St didn’t last very long Salem Sports Shop before they moved to Danvers eventually becoming Coleman’s Even Sears on Essex St sold Ted Williams sports stuff, Times have changed drastically for that town.

Last edited:
There have been several gun shops in Salem only one that lasted was Bob’s over on Boston St. Jerry’s was good for hunting stuff Reliant on Margin St didn’t last very long SalemSports Shop before they moved to Danvers eventually becoming Coleman’s Even Sears on Essex St sold Ted Williams spots stuf Times have changed drastically for that town
I bought my very first gun at Reliant back in 1980, a Rossi .38 snubby. Sucky gun. Traded it elsewhere later that year for a Colt Detective Special.

They were sort of difficult to do business with. I thought of them as more a cop shop. I usually
did most of my business with Bob Gallant
I was young, dumb, and new to handguns. Found out later the barrel had been cut down about 1/2 inch. He had a chance at making a repeat customer - never went back there.

Hey folks!
what do you recommend for a good shooting range preferably outdoor near Salem, ma or Salem, NH
I don't mind driving for 1h or 2 for a good experience.
Thanks a lot

Turiel ""This applicant hasn't done so, and that's fine — I don't really see too much of a scenario where that would make a difference in my opinion."

Already had made his mind up. Perfect.

Turiel ""This applicant hasn't done so, and that's fine — I don't really see too much of a scenario where that would make a difference in my opinion."

Already had made his mind up. Perfect.
Yah so. Nothing wrong with having already made up his mind. When is he supposed to make it up?

Problem is he made up his mind with the wrong conclusion, being opposed to this great shop opening. He sounds like a bad man from the article.

Yah so. Nothing wrong with having already made up his mind. When is he supposed to make it up?

Problem is he made up his mind with the wrong conclusion, being opposed to this great shop opening. He sounds like a bad man from the article.
When is he supposed to make it up?

When he listens to the pros and cons. Maybe listen to the actual constituents and the people it affects?

You know, maybe keep an open mind....

You could BE in Boston in the time by the time it takes to get from one side of Salem to the other.

I would go see Dave Frank to pick up my guns in salem, once every month or so. I shit you not, some afternoons it would take me an HOUR AND A HALF to get into that f***ing
town from Cambridge. 900 f***ing stoplights and turns on 114. [rofl]

Salem, MA.... Nobody canna cross it..... [rofl]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknVoAoyy-k

I would go see Dave Frank to pick up my guns in salem, once every month or so. I shit you not, some afternoons it would take me an HOUR AND A HALF to get into that f***ing
town from Cambridge. 900 f***ing stoplights and turns on 114. [rofl]

Salem, MA.... Nobody canna cross it..... [rofl]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknVoAoyy-k

I believe it. I commuted to Salem state for 4+ years from Gloucester and some days it took me almost an hour. Insane.

Meh, I commute through Salem twice a day, October always is a pia, but otherwise not that bad. But after 30 years I know all the tricks.
And too bad Dave Frank gave up his ffl.

They will get very stiff opposition Salem IS NOT a business friendly city, unless your linked in with the SCARE community. His family owns the building and has an already established industry there. Shouldn’t need any zoning changes.

Massachusetts is not a business friendly state. If it weren't for government jobs unemployment in MA would be hovering at 50%. I wish the guy good luck in opening a shop in Salem. He can sell a pistol and a lucky charm all at the same time.

Salem, I seldom go there unless some store or someone has something that I need very badly. Last time was about 5 years ago. Wanted a specific model of Kohler toilet ASAP and Salem HD was only HD around that had it in stock.

Though he acknowledges firearms are "a legal business" and "a legal industry," Turiel said he'd "rather see fewer gun shops than more of them."

"I don't see a strong public benefit to having more of them," Turiel said."
Huh. I feel the same way about politicians like him.

apparently pot shops for stoners are a ok but legal firearms stores = thumbs down, glad I don't live there and can't wait until I move out of the state.

This was painful to watch and he lost because the ZBA was swayed by the group making the most noise and the antis were better organized and they were active. They pelted the board with something like 66 letters against the motion and the board only received 2 or 3 in favor. They also dominated the public comment period during the hearing. The owner stated that he was looking to focus mainly on ammo sales and transfers. Sgt. John Doyle of the Salem PD (in charge of licensing) got up at the meeting and stated that an 07FFL COULDN'T do retail and that an 01FFL was necessary. He also said that the shop owner didn't need an 01 if he planned to do transfers because he could just get an 03 FFL which would allow him to do transfers. He also made the comment that transfers at a shop aren't necessary and that the state prefers that people use the EFA10 system. Of course he was wrong but the board ate it up because he's the "expert".

Back
Top Bottom