• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun Shop in Leominster (Old Mill Gun Shop)

JamesC1968;3443192 While my wife and I may go back to this place to make ammo purchases only said:
After how you were treated why would you consider purchasing anything from them. There are plenty of good shops that appreciate your business. Please dont support them in any fashon.

Chet0729, good point. Ordinarily, I'd have thought a new gun shop opening in the midst of all the anti-gun initiatives, a poke in the eye to leftist extremists like Sen. Dianne Feinstein, would be welcomed with open arms, but not this place. Unfortunately, when my wife had the firearm shipped to this FFL, neither of use were aware of the bad reputation this place has earned for itself. I'm fortunate to live only a few miles away from Blue Northern. I don't personally know anyone who works there, but the staff has always treated us well and they seem honest, friendly and knowledgeable about the firearms, ammo and accessories they sell, so I'll continue to give them my business. I also can recommend Four Seasons in Woburn.

Good afternoon,

We understand that some of you have had bad experiences with our store but we'd like to say that the experiences some of you speak about are definitely not the norm and we've had some growing pains in the past but we'd like to think that that is behind us.

Some of the statements made in this thread aren't exactly true but we'd like to move forward and invite everyone to come down and check out our store. Also, we have a facebook page located at https://www.facebook.com/oldmillgunshop to see our new ammo and firearms as we get them.

If anyone would like to air some grievances they've had, Please feel free to make a post here or in our forum under gun dealers and we'll do our best to take care of them.

I think most people that I have heard speak about Old Mill were concerned with the attitude they received while in the store. Whether handling weapons or asking questions. The other was the price haggling on either guns or ammo. Some stories have been posted on this forum. While having a local gun shop is a good thing, I think that most serious gun owners just wont tolorate those kinds of things.

I wish Old Mill the best and hope they can change their image and do some good business with the people of central MA.

On a personal note. I wont pay 17.99 for 50rds of 9mm like old mill was advertising when I can stop at Pullman Arms next time Im in worcester and pay 13.99...Just my opinion.

In that case, I've got a grievance, and if you're willing... Some closure on the issue would be nice. Are you doing bonded warehouse work for the local PD's? Do some of the firearms you sell derive from police who confiscate them? I'd like to know if a gun I may wish to purchase from you was taken from some poor sap who's ex wife had a grudge, got his guns removed and now because of asinine costs he can't afford to retrieve them.

Good afternoon,

We understand that some of you have had bad experiences with our store but we'd like to say that the experiences some of you speak about are definitely not the norm and we've had some growing pains in the past but we'd like to think that that is behind us.

Some of the statements made in this thread aren't exactly true but we'd like to move forward and invite everyone to come down and check out our store. Also, we have a facebook page located at https://www.facebook.com/oldmillgunshop to see our new ammo and firearms as we get them.

If anyone would like to air some grievances they've had, Please feel free to make a post here or in our forum under gun dealers and we'll do our best to take care of them.

Alright, I'm going to make a couple posts hopefully covering everything. This post will hopefully cover everything posted before our post the other day. If we missed your concern, Let us know and we'll address it fully. We won't quote anyone in this as these issues are older and there is multiple posts on some of them.
1. Stock issues
Some users repeatedly called out our lack of stock in our early days, this was something out of our control as we didn't have good relationships with our vendors (Just starting out, You don't get the best treatment from vendors) but we feel that this is behind us, we're in the process of working with some great sales people at some great vendors and are now able to offer you a pretty decent selection. Ammo is still iffy sometimes but we're constantly working to get as much ammo in as possible at the best possible price. All personal guns haven't been in the store for months- Every gun you see is for sale.
2. The AR issues
The AR costs going up was a mistake on our part. We took bad business advice from one of our advisers and we dropped the ball. At the end of the day, It would have been much better for us to accept a $4,000 loss on those AR's than to raise the price on our customers. For that we're sorry and it's not a practice we continue. We're no longer working with small AR manufacturers and instead are only selling well known AR's (Right now we have a selection of MP-15's with more on order). We'd also like to state that the manufacturer lied to us, Saying they were shipped freight when in fact they were still being manufactured. We should have fact checked our info but didn't.
3. Unsatisfactory Pricing
Some of you complained that after buying a gun and trying it, you returned it for a less than stellar buy-back price. Unfortunately, A used gun is worth less than a new gun, Whether it's had 6 shots or 600 shots fired through it. The example given was for a package with 2 guns that needed repair. We never gouge anyone. If you sell us a gun, come see what we sell it at. We feel it's fair to all parties involved. All prices no reflect the Blue Book of Gun Values, all staff has been trained in grading firearms, and our prices have dropped substantially. We're no longer using GunBroker as a source for pricing and we're trying our best to have the best prices in the state. If you've seen a firearm cheaper anywhere in the state, let us know and we'll try our best to match or beat that price. We're working extremely hard to have the best prices in the area.
4. Gunsmithing Issues
We've had some growing pains as our armorer was put a little out of his comfort zone for some repairs, However we feel that this is no longer an issue, We've started referring people to other shops when the repair is over our heads instead of trying it anyway. It's also important to note that the quotes are quoted based off of estimated hours. Sometimes, projects take a little longer. As such, we've got to charge accordingly. However we try our hardest to bring you the lowest prices we can possibly get. In the example given, we offered the person a full refund and he walked out the door without talking to us. We're always willing to work with anyone to make things right
5. Legality
We've made some mistakes in the past by calling technically legal (But something we're not going to do) illegal to push the blame onto the state. Point is, There are some things that may be legal but we're not comfortable doing. In these instances, We're sure to point out that while Yes, technically what you're asking is legal it's not something we're comfortable doing.
6. Shilling/ Posting under alt accounts
I'd like to make this perfectly clear: We've never posted a fake review on your site or any site We've asked regular customers to talk about their experiences but never posted our own reviews.
7. Requiring shippers with FFLs to provide FFL's
We require shippers to provide us with an FFL whenever possible to eliminate risks in the transfer on our part. Any non-FFL private seller may send a copy of their LTC or state issued ID.

Overall, I really want to stress that we've taken everyone's constructive criticism to heart and we want to provide our customers with the best service we possibly can. We've had some growing pains in the past and have offended some of you but we hope you'll give us another chance. We have no hard feelings on anything ever posted and we do know that you have the right to shop where you'd like to shop (At this point it's still a free country.) We've had a few people that have posted negative feedback and have come back and gotten phenomenal deals on firearms like everyone else.

Last edited:
In that case, I've got a grievance, and if you're willing... Some closure on the issue would be nice. Are you doing bonded warehouse work for the local PD's? Do some of the firearms you sell derive from police who confiscate them? I'd like to know if a gun I may wish to purchase from you was taken from some poor sap who's ex wife had a grudge, got his guns removed and now because of asinine costs he can't afford to retrieve them.

Hi, Jeff

To answer your question, There is not a single gun in here that has come from our gun vault. The law states that if a gun is siezed for nonpayment of storage fees, the gun must be sold at public auction. We return 95% of all firearms siezed to their rightful owners. The additional 5% do not deserve their firearms back. We're planning on writing a guide here that will explain your rights should that happen to you.

Hi, Jeff

To answer your question, There is not a single gun in here that has come from our gun vault. The law states that if a gun is siezed for nonpayment of storage fees, the gun must be sold at public auction. We return 95% of all firearms siezed to their rightful owners. The additional 5% do not deserve their firearms back. We're planning on writing a guide here that will explain your rights should that happen to you.

Last edited:
5. Legality
We've made some mistakes in the past by calling technically legal (But something we're not going to do) illegal to push the blame onto the state. Point is, There are some things that may be legal but we're not comfortable doing. In these instances, We're sure to point out that while Yes, technically what you're asking is legal it's not something we're comfortable doing.

I applaud your effort to improve your image here.

Can you just give me one example of a legal practice that you might be unwilling to do, for any reason?

Gun vault, huh?

I'll make sure and tell everyone I know to never set foot in this store again.

ya I can care less about the updates. The issues people have had in this thread far outweigh the excuses given a few posts back. I'm hope people use their heads when reading the contents here.

Last edited:
7. Requiring shipper to provide FFL's
We require shippers to provide us with an FFL whenever possible to eliminate risks in the transfer on our part.
I appreciate that you are addressing the issues that customers of Old Mill have had, but the federal and state requirements on out of state transfers is stringent enough without Old Mill imposing additional requirements of its own. Given that you require the FLL of the shipper, which again is not a federal or state requirement for transfers, how are you handling receipt of shipments from private sellers? Given your requirement, my guess is that you aren't. Anyway, I think Kisspik002 was right correct when he said that most serious gun owners won't tolerate these sort of things. At this point, the shop with the lowest cost ammo (without a limit of one box) is getting my business.

7. Requiring shipper to provide FFL's
We require shippers to provide us with an FFL whenever possible to eliminate risks in the transfer on our part.
I appreciate that you are addressing the issues that customers of Old Mill have had, but the federal and state requirements on out of state transfers is stringent enough without Old Mill imposing additional requirements of its own. Given that you require the FLL of the shipper, which again is not a federal or state requirement for transfers, how are you handling receipt of shipments from private sellers? Given your requirement, my guess is that you aren't. Anyway, I think Kisspik002 was right correct when he said that most serious gun owners won't tolerate these sort of things. At this point, the shop with the lowest cost ammo (without a limit of one box) is getting my business.

Sorry, that was an oversight on our part. Let me clarify, We require FFL holders to provide their FFLs for verification. Non-FFL holders can send a copy of some form of ID instead.

Had heard some different opinions about this shop, was in the market for a new rifle and they had the one I wanted in stock. The price was comparable to other shops but overall was the best price I could find. They didnt have a lot of inventory but was a cool shop. Wish they had more of an inventory, ammo prices where comparable to other gun shops and the two gentlemen I interacted with, one being the owner and an employee were very nice. I would do business with them again

I see I was the last one to comment on the OLD MILL SHOP. I actually had to use them today for a transfer. The shop had less inventory than my previous visit, same few handguns and a small amount of newer rifles with a small rack of older rifles. Ammo choices and inventory seemed low, prices comparable to other shops. They had a table with uncle mikes holster, duty gear, all types of stuff for $5.00 each. Not a bad deal if you want a nylon drop holster, but they did have a huge table with the stuff. Shop was a little disorganized with racks and random stuff in the middle of the isles. I would love to see more inventory but understand it costs money. I know their the only shop in the Fitchburg, Leominster area so its nice to have a shop regardless. Bottom line, if you need something ordered or shipped to an FFL OLD MILL are great guys, always willing to help out and answer your questions.
Some people I have talked to have told me they will find good deals on bulk ammo buys? Not sure how true but its cool if they do.

shop there long enough and they'll burn you. every one of my friends in the area has stopped shopping there after a bad experience.

I bought one thing from them a year ago but that was it. I'll go to worcester to buy guns. But for a quick transfer it worked

I bought one thing from them a year ago but that was it. I'll go to worcester to buy guns. But for a quick transfer it worked

They let you do a transfer? I had called them a few months ago asking if they'd transfer in an AR lower and I got a very abrutpt "NO" and whoever it was hung on me.

BNTC in Ayer does all my transfers now, and it's a cool shop to visit with nice folks who work there.

They let you do a transfer? I had called them a few months ago asking if they'd transfer in an AR lower and I got a very abrutpt "NO" and whoever it was hung on me.

BNTC in Ayer does all my transfers now, and it's a cool shop to visit with nice folks who work there.
Ya walked in and they did the transfer. Blue northern I agree is a great shop

After coming to this shop several times over the past year or two, I can say that the biggest issue this shop has is the generally bitter attitude of the owner. Everyone else at the shop is friendly and helpful. The owner should not interact directly with the customers.

Back
Top Bottom