• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun Shop In Canton Mass ????

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
I was on Neponset st. today in Canton and spotted a sign out of the corner of my eye that said "Firearms Bought & Sold".
It looked to be a gun shop being run out of the J. R. Spierdowis Locksmith shop.
I didn't have time to stop in and check it out, but the address is 27 Neponset st., Canton, which is the very last block as you approach Washington st.
Anyone hear of this yet or been there ????

Yep, the main business is a locksmith. The owner is a retired Canton PD,and boasts to have the only Class III in town. He mostly buys/sells out of state with his FFL. He charges one of the lowest tranfer fees in the area, but only takes incoming from an FFL. He also told me no on handgun transfers from another FFL even if it's a Mass compliant gun that's sold everywhere here (I found a good deal somewhere).

My office is just around the corner from there. I believe he has an FFL but not sure if he's selling anything yet but I can check it out when
in the area.

Haven't heard or seen this one yet, although I usually don't drive down that way. I live a few miles away so if I happen to stop in, I'll let you know how it goes.

Stay away, save yourself the headache. Told him I want to transfer an AR15 lower receiver and he went off on some tangent about how its illegal to do that and I could put an illegal barrel, illegal stock on it and then go and resell it. [laugh] Guy sounded like a real winner.

Last edited:
Stay away, save yourself the headache. Told him I want to transfer an AR15 lower receiver and he went off on some tangent about how its illegal to do that and I could put an illegal barrel, illegal stock on it and then go and resell it. [laugh] Guy sounded like a real winner.

He's a retired cop and a BFS instructor! Do you really expect him to know MA gun law? [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Yep, the main business is a locksmith. The owner is a retired Canton PD,and boasts to have the only Class III in town. He mostly buys/sells out of state with his FFL. He charges one of the lowest tranfer fees in the area, but only takes incoming from an FFL. He also told me no on handgun transfers from another FFL even if it's a Mass compliant gun that's sold everywhere here (I found a good deal somewhere).

So he won't transfer a pistol, or an AR lower...does he actually do anything?

So he won't transfer a pistol, or an AR lower...does he actually do anything?
Pretty much no. Spud ( nickname from the PD) is a close friend of mine, I've known the man 30 years. But as far as doing anything even remotely sketchy, he won't even contemplate it. And yes, I realize buying lowers and such is not sketchy, but he won't have anything to do with it, it is what it is. He has zero inventory. But he will do transfers and purchases and whatnot on stuff that he doesn't feel is a problem for him ( think Remington 700), and his prices are decent. He's a good locksmith too, though a bit higher priced than normal ( my opinion). He doesn't do BFS but will do the MSP pepper spray for 25$ ( last I heard). Great guy, funny as hell, and knowledgeable, but won't even remotely stick his neck out as far as FFL stuff.

He has been there for quite a while. I stopped there one day last year and the place was locked up and I couldn't get in. No parking, and it is a tough spot, right at the lights. Someone had told me he wasn't a good person to deal with. I never stopped there again. [thinking]

He believes all AR's post 98 are not MA compliant that they have to be on "the list". Nice enough guy when I went in but DOES NOT know the laws at all... Told me if I brought one in to work on he wouldn't be able to give back to me, won't have them in his shop.

Save yourself a senseless argument.

He believes all AR's post 98 are not MA compliant that they have to be on "the list". Nice enough guy when I went in but DOES NOT know the laws at all... Told me if I brought one in to work on he wouldn't be able to give back to me, won't have them in his shop.

Save yourself a senseless argument.

I don't know the guy, so this is based on nothing but I have a hard time believing any Ffl to be that ignorant of the laws. He most likely just doesn't believe any civilian should have one, therefore spews this kind of nonsense.

I don't know the guy, so this is based on nothing but I have a hard time believing any Ffl to be that ignorant of the laws. He most likely just doesn't believe any civilian should have one, therefore spews this kind of nonsense.
Nope. Not ignorant ( in that way anyways!) and not a " civilian shouldn't have one" type of guy, in fact, quite the opposite. He just absolutely refuse to do anything in what he considers " grey areas" of the law. I don't think they're grey, and you don't either, but he does. It's unfortunately that simple. And before anyone says it, he doesn't " take care of cops" either. He won't do shit for anyone if he thinks it could cause him an incursion by the BATF. Good guy ( my opinion), shitty FFL ( also my opinion)

I got a holier than thou sense when I talked to him. First thing I said when he asked what I wanted to transfer a lower receiver was "Oh so you wanna transfer something that's illegal?" then kind of a wise ass chuckle. I quickly corrected him and told him its not illegal and he said "Oh well I know that, but listen you could put illegal accessories on it like a stock or barrel, then just turn around and sell it to your neighbor". People like this have no reason to be in the firearm business at all. He is NOT a supporter of gun rights apparently.

You can tell me you won't transfer something and that's that. Don't feed me a bunch of bullshit and spout off incorrect information. But that's that, plenty of other good, knowledgeable shops around that will take my money.

Last edited:
I got a holier than thou sense when I talked to him. First thing I said when he asked what I wanted to transfer a lower receiver was "Oh so you wanna transfer something that's illegal?" then kind of a wise ass chuckle. I quickly corrected him and told him its not illegal and he said "Oh well I know that, but listen you could put illegal accessories on it like a stock or barrel, then just turn around and sell it to your neighbor". People like this have no reason to be in the firearm business at all. He is NOT a supporter of gun rights apparently.

You can tell me you won't transfer something and that's that. Don't feed me a bunch of bullshit and spout off incorrect information. But that's that, plenty of other good, knowledgeable shops around that will take my money.

Sadly that makes no f-ing sense. If you were going to do all that illegally why the f would you go to him to have him transfer it.

[angry]

It's like stating I won't sell you a gun because you might shoot someone.

An actual interaction...

Bring a Perfectly legal MA compliant AR to him for work and he'll refuse it as not legal in MA. Brought in a new compliant Stag 3 and he kept asking how I got this in MA?!? And there are PLENTY of ignorant people in MA many who have an FFL.

Last edited:

[rofl]

There are TONS of shitbird FFLs in MA that don't know the laws. All you can do is decide what level of wrongness you are willing to accept.

-Mike

An actual interaction...

Bring a Perfectly legal MA compliant AR to him for work and he'll refuse it as not legal in MA. Brought in a new compliant Stag 3 and he kept asking how I got this in MA?!? And there are PLENTY of ignorant people in MA many who have an FFL.

That thing sounds deadly John....hope all is well!

ugg,

The south of Boston Curse continues with respect to decent FFLs.

They are all either understocked and insanely over priced or are little tiny, useless shops run by some retired cop who makes up laws. Never have I experienced a place in the USA where more people pull gun laws out of their rear ends than MA. Don't we already have enough that people should not need to make them up?

I feel like every other area of the state at least has a respectable FFL or 2. Western MA A&J's, west central Guns Inc, central the Gun Parlor, north shore FS, collectors, cape has a decent one. Name me a good one Plymouth to Boston...

Urban Tactical(not in Plymouth, but not far in Wareham) charged me $30 for a stripped lower transfer from a group buy, has plenty of stock(some prices a little high, some good) and good guys. I've only been in a couple times, but no problems at all.

ugg,

They are all either understocked and insanely over priced or are little tiny, useless shops run by some retired cop who makes up laws. Never have I experienced a place in the USA where more people pull gun laws out of their rear ends than MA. Don't we already have enough that people should not need to make them up?

I feel like every other area of the state at least has a respectable FFL or 2. Western MA A&J's, west central Guns Inc, central the Gun Parlor, north shore FS, collectors, cape has a decent one. Name me a good one Plymouth to Boston...

Try the Sportsmen's Den on Southern Artery in Quincy.

ugg,

Well now, if you happen to be down the Cape, Dan at ODS in Yarmouth is a good guy with a well stocked shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, and if you had him transfer a Mossberg 500, you could go and cut the barrel down to 10" and make it illegal. Its not his job to prevent you from going off and doing what you will with something he transfers to you that is legal. This is the kind of argument that the gun grabbers use, making it illegal to do something because you could then go off and break a separate law if you chose to.

He probably shouldn't be selling keys either because you could take one and illegally poke someone's eye out with it.

[rofl]

There are TONS of shitbird FFLs in MA that don't know the laws. All you can do is decide what level of wrongness you are willing to accept.

-Mike

I guess what I can't wrap my head around his this: With handguns because of the dreaded list, and then the AG regs and the was it in mass before 98 crap etc... I can understand confusion and caution on the handgun side of things, but long guns were never on a list, sure there was an AWB (and still is in mass) but that "list" is only a list of features that a long gun can't have, well some combination of them, there really isn't grey area on that to me.

Back
Top Bottom