New gun shooting low

I am hoping that it is just me (and my son^^^), and that we need to learn this new platform. I am investing in the Glock platform for various reasons, I really want this to work out, my guess along with the inputs from this post is that my technique needs adjusting. The long trigger pull of the Glock makes me wonder if I am doing strange things when I get to the actual bang.

This could be very true. When I dry fire practice I find myself usually aiming too high with the Glock. (been used to my SIG P320 where I feel like I have much better control). I am just a bit stumped because my son who prefers the Glock, also shoots it low, about the same grouping as where I seem to hit.

It's just a "hear hoof beats think horses" kind of thing. But zebras exist, too. Look into it and see whether it is a horse or a zebra. Sig isn't Glock, obviously, but I recently saw a review on YouTube of the Sig p365 "no snag" model on the "Military Arms Channel" that was shooting left during the review for every shooter. The replacement wasn't like that. Conversely, I got a rail-mounted laser for my wife not because I think lasers are a great idea, rather because the way that dot moves on the target when she pulls the trigger will tell her the truth.

Low and Left is extremely common in Glocks. IT's a function of the feel of the trigger. It's so bad that on "another gun group" dedicated to the polygonally-rifled-marvel, people get abused for asking the damned question for the 4 billionth time.

Dry fire it a few hunnert times. Good dry-fires. This will do 2 things. It will get you to pull the trigger properly. It will smooth out the trigger slightly. The effort curve won't be as steep and jagged. You can replace parts or do a fluff'n'buff, but honestly several hundred trigger pulls will smooth out most Glocks enough.

FWIW, I don't see much POI shift between 115, 124, and 147 grain 9mm loads in my semi-autos. I'm typically shooting these at 12 yards or less. In fact, I started shooting 147 grain in my M&P 9c because I wanted a POI shift from "under the dot" towards the top of the blade to make it more like my revolvers, and I didn't get it.
I think at 12 yards your not going to see a huge shift in 147s
Maybe a inch or two? So unless your shooting tight 1” groups your not really going to notice a large shift?

its all fun....

I think at 12 yards your not going to see a huge shift in 147s
Maybe a inch or two? So unless your shooting tight 1” groups your not really going to notice a large shift?

its all fun....

I wish. I can hold 2" groups at 12 yards on a good day if I work at it. But I'm not often shooting groups out of defensive pistols. Point is that the POI is still "under the dot". Whether it's shifted up an inch, I don't know because this is not a great sight set up for precision shooting. I mean, yeah, sure, I could aim at any point on top of the sight blade or even with a 6-o'clock hold and just measure the movement of the group wherever it forms. I didn't do that. If I'm shooting a defensive pistol with precision at distance, I'm trying to hit a target, you know, to fantasize about that across-the-food-court shot at the head of an AK-wielding terrorist. That kind of thing. :)

every glock I have owned prints a bit high or perhaps setup for a 6 o'clock hold
as opposed to HK's and other pistols that are combat hold
if your glock is shooting low it's almost certainly user induced
have someone else shoot the pistol or bench it and ensure good trigger presses
would also inspect the crown of barrel make sure its not dinged up (i've never seen this on a glock but have with other mfrs)

changing bullet weight will have subtle effect on elevation POI but is not the solution

I am hoping that it is just me (and my son^^^), and that we need to learn this new platform. I am investing in the Glock platform for various reasons, I really want this to work out, my guess along with the inputs from this post is that my technique needs adjusting. The long trigger pull of the Glock makes me wonder if I am doing strange things when I get to the actual bang.

The Glock grip angle and hump could cause someone to shoot higher if they are used to the Sig/1911 grip angle. Whereas, if you're used to the Glock grip angle, then you may be shooting low with a Sig. Reads like you're pushing the gun in anticipation of recoil. Good luck OP.

I wish. I can hold 2" groups at 12 yards on a good day if I work at it. But I'm not often shooting groups out of defensive pistols. Point is that the POI is still "under the dot". Whether it's shifted up an inch, I don't know because this is not a great sight set up for precision shooting. I mean, yeah, sure, I could aim at any point on top of the sight blade or even with a 6-o'clock hold and just measure the movement of the group wherever it forms. I didn't do that. If I'm shooting a defensive pistol with precision at distance, I'm trying to hit a target, you know, to fantasize about that across-the-food-court shot at the head of an AK-wielding terrorist. That kind of thing. :)
This is why I would like to know what glocks Accuracy/targeting specs are.

if glock says With 9mm abc at 25 yards 5 shots impact at X with a Group size of Y its good to go.
then its up to drifting and changing sight hieghts to fine tune

This could be very true. When I dry fire practice I find myself usually aiming too high with the Glock. (been used to my SIG P320 where I feel like I have much better control). I am just a bit stumped because my son who prefers the Glock, also shoots it low, about the same grouping as where I seem to hit.

Huh...your son also shoots it low and uses Glocks? That wouldn't exactly fit that theory about grip angle then. What type of hold are you using?

Your shooting low change your point of aim learn to point and shoot at 20ft the gun will hit whare you point it you should not even have to use sights

I read the title like you had a new low at the range, like a bad day. I thought maybe you launched your suppressor downrange or shot your dick off.

Not that old chestnut

To the OP, aim a little higher or put on a shorter front sight.

But first, have your grip checked. Right hand high as it can be and left hand providing some support/tension.

Last edited:
Yeah its just a plastic sight, nail file would probably do it.
Sight height correction
Correction needed X sight radius ÷ distance in inches = change in sight height.

Front sight shorter front sight raises impact , Taller front sight lowers impact

Yeah its just a plastic sight, nail file would probably do it.
Sight height correction
Correction needed X sight radius ÷ distance in inches = change in sight height.

Front sight shorter front sight raises impact , Taller front sight lowers impact

It’s not the plastic sights. It came with Glock night sights which are not plastic.

It’s not the plastic sights. It came with Glock night sights which are not plastic.
Yeah , not a glock guy so IDK.
Shoot it some more and if its still not where you want it to be you need a shorter sight or adjustable rear. I like adjustable rears as I can adjust for different ammo choices
You will need a real file if they are metal.

I wouldn't worry about grip. That for controlling recoil. And the more you try to control recoil, the more likely you will influence the gun before the shot breaks Think 100% about trigger press. Don't stage the trigger by trying to find the wall or sear break. Just smoothly roll through the trigger
Low and Left is extremely common in Glocks. IT's a function of the feel of the trigger. It's so bad that on "another gun group" dedicated to the polygonally-rifled-marvel, people get abused for asking the damned question for the 4 billionth time.

Dry fire it a few hunnert times. Good dry-fires. This will do 2 things. It will get you to pull the trigger properly. It will smooth out the trigger slightly. The effort curve won't be as steep and jagged. You can replace parts or do a fluff'n'buff, but honestly several hundred trigger pulls will smooth out most Glocks enough.

Yup. Dry fire a few thousand times. Make sure the sight doesn't waver or wiggle in the slightest when you do this. Maybe don't get the file or dremel out until you can say for certain " Yup...the sights were exactly here the exact moment it fired, but the dang bullet hit exactly over yonder."
Oh..and chuck the Glock, get a 1911.

Yup. Dry fire a few thousand times. Make sure the sight doesn't waver or wiggle in the slightest when you do this. Maybe don't get the file or dremel out until you can say for certain " Yup...the sights were exactly here the exact moment it fired, but the dang bullet hit exactly over yonder."
Oh..and chuck the Glock, get a 1911.
With adjustable rear sights.
Not my pistol but I shot here, just a rouch left and up and some ice 10 ring shots
Post #24

Point is that the POI is still "under the dot".

I did happen to verify today, however, that at about 30 yards, the POI with my M&P 9c is right on top of the front sight blade with 147gr Blazer Brass, or at least when shooting clays on the berm today, I hit them when I held that way. Moved to 15 yards, and the same hold would miss low, like I remembered.

When you aim with three dot sights on a Glock, and most other pistols, at a target the night sight dot needs to be superimposed over the center of the bulls eye. The pistol will hit where the dot is covering, not at the top of the sight blade. If you are putting the bulls eye directly on top of the sight blade (6 o clock hold), you are aiming right about 3-4" low. This is especially important with large dot front sights like Trijicon HD night sights. XS big dots are particularly finicky about this, for those sights you use a 6 o clock hold beyond 25yds,

Attachments

• sighting on target.jpg
    sighting on target.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 19
I did happen to verify today, however, that at about 30 yards, the POI with my M&P 9c is right on top of the front sight blade with 147gr Blazer Brass, or at least when shooting clays on the berm today, I hit them when I held that way. Moved to 15 yards, and the same hold would miss low, like I remembered.

That would be normal, with most pistols, especially with XS Big Dots, beyond 25 yds a "6 O'Clock" hold will put rounds on target. At closer range, center of front sight dot should be point of impact.

edit: typos

If you are used to Sigs, 1911s etc the grip handle might have you pointing low. With an unloaded pistol, close your eyes and bring the gun up to firing position and look at the sights. If your front sight is low, you might just have to just work on technique. Ledt right might be a rear sight adjustment, but up and down is the operator and technique related on a Glock

If tour calling your MP9c zeroed at 30 yards at 15 yards your group center should only be aprox 1/4” lower
Simply put if your hitting clays at 30 yards you should hit the clay at 15 yards with the same hold/aim. POA/POI then still be hitting them at 1 yard... well as far as balistics and point blank range work. The shooter can really mess up all that stuff quickly.
Now when it comes to shooting clays often shotgun shooters tend to drop the muzzle to “see” the target.??

EDIT: Disregard, I'm pretty sure my thinking was wrong. That close it 'should' be shooting 'high' right? Assuming the gun is sighted at 20ish yards, ballistically speaking.

Last edited:
Simply put if your hitting clays at 30 yards you should hit the clay at 15 yards with the same hold/aim. POA/POI then still be hitting them at 1 yard... well as far as balistics and point blank range work. The shooter can really mess up all that stuff quickly.

LOL. Despite how I worded the first sentence, I'm not claiming to know where the gun would hit at 30 yards if I were to put it in a Ransom rest, only that for my eyes and ability, it did seem that the POI was close enough to the top edge of the front sight at 30 yards with the 147 grain Blazer Brass ammo. I'm not able to shoot smiley faces in 4" circles at 30 yards with a handgun, which is to say, my ability to hold on the precise center of a clay at 30 yards is dubious. I'm just saying that, for the purposes of busting clays at 30 yards, it seemed that I could profitably treat the POI as being along the top edge of the front sight blade. Why this did not work as well at 15 yards, I couldn't tell you. I doubt it's my trigger control or flinching or anything like that. If I had to guess, I'd say that the 15 yard results are more indicative of the actual POA/POI setup of the gun. Possibly vagaries of my vision under the different lighting conditions are a factor. Because 30 yards is a harder shot and I was focused on my hold and trigger control, I possibly wasn't locked in as tight to control recoil for a potential follow-up shot.

Last edited:
EDIT: Disregard, I'm pretty sure my thinking was wrong. That close it 'should' be shooting 'high' right? Assuming the gun is sighted at 20ish yards, ballistically speaking.
The "baliatic" path of a 9mm bullet does not vary much above or below your line of sight.
As I stated before if your not shooting 1" groups your not likely to see the shift no matter your zero be it 0-50 yards.

With 147 grain bullet a 50 yard zero , if all things are good your impacts will be less than a inch higher at 20 yards.

Shoot Five , 5shot groups at 5 different aiming/targets points . Use a clean backer.
Do not look at any of the impacts/targets until your do ne with all 5 .

Then check your targets and see how consistent yourgroups are.

Last edited:
Could also be failure to use Glock site picture? "Put the drop in the bucket" took me a while to get used to as all my other pistols had three dots including night sights on a g26.

I had to sharpie off the white U to stop paying attention to it as I was consistently shooting low. The white paint mark was distracting.

Back
Top Bottom