New gun shooting low

Just came back from the range shooting rounds through my factory new Gen 4 G17. Practice target at 20 feet, the gun shoots consistently low, approximately 3-4 inches of where I am aiming. I've tried center mass, 6:00, and dead-on holds with same results. Using 115 grain 9mm Federal ammo. I have had others shoot it as well with the same results.

This is my first Glock. Could it be possible that the sights are calibrated for other grains 124 or even 147 grain. Doesn't that mean it would shoot lower since velocity (FPS) isn't as high as 115 grain. I haven't tried other grains but want to rule out anything else before I shoot other types of ammo.

First, shoot it off a rest.

If it STILL shoots low, then move on to other possibilities.

I will try this but my range doesn’t allow pistols to be shot from a rest. I will find a way to do this somehow. I’m new there, and don’t want to get my membership terminated. TY.

Causes of a defensive pistol (non-adjustable sights) shooting low that spring to mind:

1. Flinching or "milking the grip". This is the first line, most common issue. As MisterHappy suggests, try shooting from a rest. At least try having someone else put a snap cap in the magazine and watch the muzzle while you shoot. Or get a cheap laser to mount on the front rail. Doesn't need to be a great one because you're just using it as a training/diagnostic tool.
2. Gun shoots low, shooter error. Assuming that the top of the front sight blade is lined up with the top of the rear sight, defensive pistols tend to be set up so that the point of impact is under the front sight dot so that you put the front sight dot on top of what you want to hit.
3. Gun shoots low, gun's fault. This can be due to a defect. A weird case is the Ruger Vaquero, which has non-adjustable sights and will shoot low out of the box because the front sight is provided high enough that the shooter can file it to dial it in for their ammo choice.

As mentioned this is my first Glock and have to say the trigger pull is much much different than my P320. I’m very accurate with that gun. The Glock doesn’t have that “wall” the Sig does and I’m sure I need to practice with the Glock more.

Really appreciate the replies. I’m willing to bet the problem is me, but, it’s odd that the two other dudes who shot the gun, shot low as well.

I will try this but my range doesn’t allow pistols to be shot from a rest. I will find a way to do this somehow. I’m new there, and don’t want to get my membership terminated. TY.
Won’t let you shoot from a rest?????
That’s absurd!
What club?
Time to find another.

Have someone else shoot it.
Never had a Glock shoot low.
Most shoot point of aim.
Sounds like your pushing your shots low.

This. Have someone else who’s ability you trust shoot it. If they shoot it low too, then look above for advice.

dp
Just came back from the range shooting rounds through my factory new Gen 4 G17. Practice target at 20 feet, the gun shoots consistently low, approximately 3-4 inches of where I am aiming. I've tried center mass, 6:00, and dead-on holds with same results. Using 115 grain 9mm Federal ammo. I have had others shoot it as well with the same results.

This is my first Glock. Could it be possible that the sights are calibrated for other grains 124 or even 147 grain. Doesn't that mean it would shoot lower since velocity (FPS) isn't as high as 115 grain. I haven't tried other grains but want to rule out anything else before I shoot other types of ammo.
Do you have pictures of the targets ?

Flinching/jerking the trigger? I know you said others had the same issue but the dreaded "shooting low" problem (especially low-left and low-right) is basically the most common issue folks have. I have a bunch of Glocks, all as flawless as the next. sorta hard to believe it would be the gun.

Are you grouping well?
A Glock 17 at 20 feet should be one ragged hole to a 1"-2" group.
If your not shooting a small group but resemble something like machine gun fire then I would go back to you pushing the shots.
Make sure the pistol is unloaded and dry fire it and watch the front sight if it drops when the trigger breaks you have your answer.

Welcome to the forum and we all have our days with new guns.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnLA2DuYJs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylh4DyMADRU

Last edited:
Good advice there.

From what I remember I was grouping well about 2” group, certainly could use improvement but mostly low, same general area which is why I am blaming the sights : )

G17 is a basic service pistol correct?
So most likely zeroed with 9mm NATO 124gn ? Then most likely factory zero at 25 yards/Meters POA=POI ? so it should not print low at all maybe a 1" MAX real close, inside 3 yards or so.
The 25 yard zero will give you point blank range out to about 100 yards holding center mass on a torso size target.

Put the pistol in the hands of someone who shoots glocks often.
There really should not be a huge difference between 115/124 grain ammo/. I have no experience shooting anything heavier and recently sold my last 9mm pistol SW 39

Last edited:
Are you grouping well?
A Glock 17 at 20 feet should be one ragged hole to a 1"-2" group.
If your not shooting a small group but resemble something like machine gun fire then I would go back to you pushing the shots.
Make sure the pistol is unloaded and dry fire it and watch the front sight if it drops when the trigger breaks you have your answer.

Welcome to the forum and we all have our days with new guns.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnLA2DuYJs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylh4DyMADRU

Good advice there.

From what I remember I was grouping well about 2” group, certainly could use improvement but mostly low, same general area which is why I am blaming the sights : )
Let me say Im not very good a pistol shooting. I use to try CMP service pistol with some old timers at the club and they would always turn your Inch groups into Minute of Angle.
A 2" group at 20' or 6.6 yards is about 30MOA. Really irks you but drives me to do better.

I have my better days but Im happy If I can keep 10 shots inside the black bull of a 25 yard service pistol target!

Keep at it, pick a sight picture ( I prefer a center hold unless im target shooting but my "target" pistols are set up to shoot bulls eye targets) try different ammo

Yeah, thought it was weird as well, but I do like the range. I’m racking my brain as to why this rule exists for pistols only.

It exists, because some people will shoot from a rest (that's about waist-high), at a target that's half-way down the range, and forget the last part of Rule 4: What's beyond the target. If you draw this scenario out from a side-view, you'll see that the shots will be very high on the backstop.

This is cured by hanging a target on a long piece of cardboard that is, turn, suspended from the hanger so that it's all in a level line.

Talk to your Range Chairperson, and see what they say.

Have someone else shoot the gun. I've never had a Glock shoot low.
Step one to Glock ownership is throwing out the stock plastic sights, so I would recommend you do that regardless.

Are you using night sights? On my SIG the shots appear to go "low" based on a sight picture using the top of the sight blade, but the pistol hits exactly where the green tritium dot indicates (which is all you would see in the dark, right?).

If your sights are stock Glock, is your pistol hitting where the white dot is--but you are sighting on the top of the front sight blade?

That being said--my new-in-box G19 (with Trijicon HD night sights) shot low and left for like a month, then it shot a couple inches left for another month, then it finally fixed itself. No idea how*. (lol).

*(Hint: it was me, and I knew it).

If the pistol is for personal protection, it would be worth putting a couple mags of excellent self-defense ammo (hot ammo) through it and see where it hits, just for reference.

Also--see where the pistol hits at longer distances, say 25 yards. If it is dead nuts at 25 yards, that would make sense for a service pistol, which the G17 absolutely is. If it was shooting POA/POI at 7 yards, where do you suppose your bullets would be hitting at 25 yards?

Last edited:
Are you using night sights? On my SIG the shots appear to go "low" based on a sight picture using the top of the sight blade, but the pistol hits exactly where the green tritium dot indicates (which is all you would see in the dark, right?).

If your sights are stock Glock, is your pistol hitting where the white dot is--but you are sighting on the top of the front sight blade?

That being said--my new-in-box G19 (with Trijicon HD night sights) shot low and left for like a month

Yes. I believe it came from the factory with Night Sights. It has Glock logo on them and not the typical Glock dot/bucket plastic sights.

That being said--my new-in-box G19 (with Trijicon HD night sights) shot low and left for like a month, then it shot a couple inches left for another month, then it finally fixed itself. No idea how*. (lol).

*(Hint: it was me, and I knew it).

If the pistol is for personal protection, it would be worth putting a couple mags of excellent self-defense ammo (hot ammo) through it and see where it hits, just for reference.

Also--see where the pistol hits at longer distances, say 25 yards. If it is dead nuts at 25 yards, that would make sense for a service pistol, which the G17 absolutely is. If it was shooting POA/POI at 7 yards, where do you suppose your bullets would be hitting at 25 yards?
The top of the blade to the center of your night sight would beed to be aprox .100" difference to be hitting 4" low if sighted in on the night sight?

If you could shoot dead nuts accurate a 7yd zero would give you aprox 1/2" high impacts at 25 yards. If you hold was dead on perfect and just a touch high at 50 then 6" low at 100 yds roughly
This all means little unless your shooting down near 1.5 MOA or less
Go buy your group center to figure out the correction you need to make.

I would like to know what Glocks targeting and accuracy specs are.?

Is it possible that you're just not use to Glock's grip angle? I've read more than a few instances of people saying Glocks point differently than S&W/Sig/1911's/etc, and that muscle memory may cause inadvertent tenancies to overcompensate adjustment to sight picture. I have no first hand experience with a G17 though, so that's just a shot in the dark.

Is it possible that you're just not use to Glock's grip angle? I've read more than a few instances of people saying Glocks point differently than S&W/Sig/1911's/etc, and that muscle memory may cause inadvertent tenancies to overcompensate adjustment to sight picture. I have no first hand experience with a G17 though, so that's just a shot in the dark.

This could be very true. When I dry fire practice I find myself usually aiming too high with the Glock. (been used to my SIG P320 where I feel like I have much better control). I am just a bit stumped because my son who prefers the Glock, also shoots it low, about the same grouping as where I seem to hit.

There really should not be a huge difference between 115/124 grain ammo/.

FWIW, I don't see much POI shift between 115, 124, and 147 grain 9mm loads in my semi-autos. I'm typically shooting these at 12 yards or less. In fact, I started shooting 147 grain in my M&P 9c because I wanted a POI shift from "under the dot" towards the top of the blade to make it more like my revolvers, and I didn't get it.

Back
Top Bottom