• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun Owner

I am so excited that I am now a gun owner...I bought a Ruger SR9C...now I want to shot it. I live in Clinton and work in Marlboro, is there anywhere near those places that are open to the public to shot? Eventually, I want to join a gun club but, from what I understand, I need to qualify at the pistol range before I can get a key. So I need to practice in order to qualify.

-Krissy

Congrats Krissy on joining the ranks of gun owners,not from that area but I am sure someone will post and help you qualify for your carry.So pleased to see new people join us.
Dave

I am so excited that I am now a gun owner...I bought a Ruger SR9C...now I want to shot it. I live in Clinton and work in Marlboro, is there anywhere near those places that are open to the public to shot? Eventually, I want to join a gun club but, from what I understand, I need to qualify at the pistol range before I can get a key. So I need to practice in order to qualify.

-Krissy

I am not sure about club rules elsewhere, but my club requires filling out membership app, including a couple of member sponsors. As part of joining they provide an overview of the rules/regs but do not require 'qualification'. PM if you want a pointer to the club I belong to.

Most clubs will have a safety meeting going over range rules and may ask you to shoot a few rounds to demonstrate you know how to handle a firearm safely. I don't think anyone is going to make you shoot a certain score to become a member.

congrats on the SR9c. I have one as well, and love it. Great gun to own. Never heard of needing to qualify anywhere. At my club you just need to fill out an app, and they vote you in. That simple. 8 Point in Sterling, is close to Clinton as well. Not a huge club, but descent enough. After my membership expires I will probably join somewhere closer to my house, but I know 8 Point is plenty close enough to Clinton.

http://www.8point.org/

-Krissy

You and I are in the same boat. I got my LTC A no restrictions nearly two months ago. I found an awesome deal on a used M&P9c and I've yet to be able to fire it. I have submitted my application to my local club and I'm told I'm approved and the tour is coming soon but it is torture waiting. I have everything I need except the go ahead from the club. I was able to do a side by side comparison of the M&P9c and the SR9C at the gun store. Had I been buying new I'm pretty sure I'd have gone with the Ruger. I just couldn't pass up the deal on the M&P. If I don't like it I'll get all of my money back and then some. Good luck with the Ruger and don't forget to tell us how your first range session went.

You and I are in the same boat. I got my LTC A no restrictions nearly two months ago. I found an awesome deal on a used M&P9c and I've yet to be able to fire it. I have submitted my application to my local club and I'm told I'm approved and the tour is coming soon but it is torture waiting. I have everything I need except the go ahead from the club. I was able to do a side by side comparison of the M&P9c and the SR9C at the gun store. Had I been buying new I'm pretty sure I'd have gone with the Ruger. I just couldn't pass up the deal on the M&P. If I don't like it I'll get all of my money back and then some. Good luck with the Ruger and don't forget to tell us how your first range session went.

Why haven't you gone to a public range?

Clinton has a gun club too, very small indoor range but cheap and convient. Send me a private message and I can give you the particulars. I also belong to 8 point I can take you as a guest to either and you could to try them out.

The only public range I know of is American Firearms School in N. Attleboro. If you're dieing to try out your toy, you could travel there some weekend day - Their website explains the particulars. If you don't have much experience, they will give you a quick rundown of your guns function before you shoot. I think they do newbie classes too.

Otherwise, join a club as soon as you can cuz driving to attleboro will get old kinda quick.

Congrats/Enjoy!

ETA: Manchester Firing Line is also public. It maybe closer for you -dunno. Just be aware you're crossing the state line and you'll need to follow NH's rules.

Last edited:

-Krissy
Krissy, If you shoot the way you write, it's going to be a tough row to hoe.

I shot at Manchester Firing Line for a couple of months until I got around to joining at WSC. It's a nice range to shoot at and the guys are very helpful to beginners. I always found that one hour was plenty of time to put 50 rounds through my 9mm and a hundred or so through my .22

At WSC you just fill out an app and get voted in, then you take a range safety course for the outdoor ranges. If you want, you can also get a PIN for the indoor range and then you need to 'qualify', but it's not a terribly stringent test. You just need to put 5 rounds in a target at 50 feet.

Depending on the club, this might be the perfect time of year to join. You'll either get reduced dues for the rest of the year, or pay for this year and have next year covered as well.

Good luck, and great choice. I have the full size SR9 and I love it. I have at least 1000 rounds through it without one hiccup.

the closest to worc county is afs i go there. tues is ladies night, they shoot free. its right off the highway easy to get to and the people are friendly and its comfortable. if you take 495s to 95s your right there. i took my wife shooting there 2 weeks ago for the first time she tapped out when i worked her up to 9mm, i also would like to shoot closer to home but don't want the price tag of joining a club to go maybe 6 times a year.

AFS in N. Attleboro is going to be closer to you. If you're willing to travel a bit further, you can also go to Original Bob's in Salisbury, MA.

the closest to worc county is afs i go there. tues is ladies night, they shoot free. its right off the highway easy to get to and the people are friendly and its comfortable. if you take 495s to 95s your right there. i took my wife shooting there 2 weeks ago for the first time she tapped out when i worked her up to 9mm, i also would like to shoot closer to home but don't want the price tag of joining a club to go maybe 6 times a year.

6 hours at AFS in a year is 120.00. My club is 100.00 the first year and 75.00 each year after that. Also factor in gas and time if it's a long ride. You also don't have to deal with the gangstas who rent guns muzzle sweeping the room.

Smith and Wesson is closer I think. They only charger $20 to shoot all day. I go there sometimes during the week, and it is only $20 all day. Weekends may be different, but I know during the week it is only $20 to shoot, $5 to rent a gun (S&W of course), and from Clinton it is probably an hour maybe less. From Worcester it takes me 45 minutes. I have never been to the ones others have posted though. Just suggesting another one as well.

Last edited:
Why haven't you gone to a public range?

I'm on Cape Cod and the nearest one I know if is in North Attleboro. That's nearly 90 Miles from me. I made application at the local club and honestly had no clue it would take this long. It should come through any day now actually. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm on Cape Cod and the nearest one I know if is in North Attleboro. That's nearly 90 Miles from me. I made application at the local club and honestly had no clue it would take this long. It should come through any day now actually. Thanks for the suggestion though.

There's a public range in Barnstable, right off exit 5. Down Service Rd a mile or so. You can get a permit and gate key at Barnstable DNR, right across the street from Barnstable PD.

Congrats on the new hobby and toy.I am also a clintonite and a member of marlboro fish and game(pistol committee chairman).I'm there atleast three nights a week and can give you some range time as my guest if you would like. If interested pm me and we can set something up,if not good luck where ever you decide to shoot.

P.S pardon my writing skills[thinking]

Leominster's sporstman is open to the public on sunday mornings. If you want a tour of Harvard sportsman club and a chance to use the pistol range drop me a pm. In the mean time, get some snap caps and practice safe handling of your new ruger [grin]

I see. However, I wouldn't have been able to hold out that long personally. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom