• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun Laws In Effect Starting Today

I just printed out the whole bill from the state Website. Looks like we were asleep at the switch. DogMan99 appears to be correct. Would like to see who proposed the 6 year delay.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DogMan99
I just copied this from the state web site.
SECTION 121. Section 34 is hereby repealed. SECTION 122. Sections 24, 25, 34, 42, 47, 48, 50, 53, 55, 61, 62, 63, 66, 71, and 75 shall take effect on January 1, 2021.

Double Huh!

My copy was copied from the State website on 8/15/14, 2 days after it was signed into law. It had been changed from effective now to 2021 due to "fear" by the legistraitors and was confirmed by Sen. Timilty to the person here on NES who was responsible for this change. SO, I'm not sure what to believe today . . . I've seen other errors on the state website, so I suggest that we wait for Ben Cartwright to check in and clarify.

Going back to c&r for a moment, I believe that what 03 ffl holders did was buy a c&r gun from an out of state vendor then submit an fa10 registration. I believe that was a legal practice. Is that practice still legal in 2015?

Going back to c&r for a moment, I believe that what 03 ffl holders did was buy a c&r gun from an out of state vendor then submit an fa10 registration. I believe that was a legal practice. Is that practice still legal in 2015?

Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

I just printed out the whole bill from the state Website. Looks like we were asleep at the switch. DogMan99 appears to be correct. Would like to see who proposed the 6 year delay.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DogMan99
I just copied this from the state web site.
SECTION 121. Section 34 is hereby repealed. SECTION 122. Sections 24, 25, 34, 42, 47, 48, 50, 53, 55, 61, 62, 63, 66, 71, and 75 shall take effect on January 1, 2021.

State website has not been updated. This is incorrect info.

If you search you'll see the discussion thread where Ben Cartwright got down to the change and the reason why. He's at the Sturbridge gun show this weekend but should bop in here on Monday with more info.

I was afraid the following section was being delayed until 2021. It is not referenced, Section 52 is. Which has to do with the size and shape for the LTC Card and the inclusion of the Suicide prevention hotline.

SECTION 51. Paragraph (f) of said section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out the second paragraph and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:- Any applicant or holder aggrieved by a denial, revocation, suspension or restriction placed on a license, unless a hearing has previously been held pursuant to chapter 209A, may, within either 90 days after receiving notice of the denial, revocation or suspension or within 90 days after the expiration of the time limit during which the licensing authority shall respond to the applicant or, in the case of a restriction, any time after a restriction is placed on the license pursuant to this section, file a petition to obtain judicial review in the district court having jurisdiction in the city or town in which the applicant filed the application or in which the license was issued. If after a hearing a justice of the court finds that there was no reasonable ground for denying, suspending, revoking or restricting the license and that the petitioner is not prohibited by law from possessing a license, the justice may order a license to be issued or reinstated to the petitioner or may order the licensing authority to remove certain restrictions placed on the license.

I was afraid the following section was being delayed until 2021. It is not referenced, Section 52 is. Which has to do with the size and shape for the LTC Card and the inclusion of the Suicide prevention hotline.

SECTION 51. Paragraph (f) of said section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out the second paragraph and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:- Any applicant or holder aggrieved by a denial, revocation, suspension or restriction placed on a license, unless a hearing has previously been held pursuant to chapter 209A, may, within either 90 days after receiving notice of the denial, revocation or suspension or within 90 days after the expiration of the time limit during which the licensing authority shall respond to the applicant or, in the case of a restriction, any time after a restriction is placed on the license pursuant to this section, file a petition to obtain judicial review in the district court having jurisdiction in the city or town in which the applicant filed the application or in which the license was issued. If after a hearing a justice of the court finds that there was no reasonable ground for denying, suspending, revoking or restricting the license and that the petitioner is not prohibited by law from possessing a license, the justice may order a license to be issued or reinstated to the petitioner or may order the licensing authority to remove certain restrictions placed on the license.
Can we assume not any of that applies to non-resident LTCs, and non-resident applicants are still going to get restrictions by default to discourage them from applying?

That is what the cover letter says and also why I have been looking at GOALs website for the actual law. The bill does not say "active duty."

Besides, if it says "active duty" I have never determined how someone would prove they are on active duty? You get PCS orders but that is about it.

active duty military get id cards that say they're active duty....

when i got back from overseas.... i received a DD214 just for the overseas service, that's what i used to get my plates.....

This just all adds the to the confusion with laws when terms are used that definitions are not even known. The summary letter referenced at the beginning of this post, is just a summary of what the author thought was in the law and contains incorrect information. That is why in my first post I was looking for the reference. The summary letter is not a reference.

Yes you will only receive a DD214 when discharged from ACTIVE duty. This is why current active duty members cannot receive veteran license plates in Massachusetts or Veteran on their driver's license. Unless you had a break in service.

From that:

I thought there would be more than this. The only other thing I know of is the pepper spray stuff, which already happened. You mean all those hearings, and all that wrangling was for THIS SMALL TIDBIT? I feel like they are throwing us a tiny bone, or splinters of a bone at that.

[bs2][angry][banghead]

I like #3…

does anyone think we'll ever be able to over turn the idiotic AWB or handgun roster list???

And, Holy F, what the hell does suicide prevention have to do with citizens exercising their 2nd?!?!
Ah, well, you missed all the public hearings then. The fact that we own guns people that people will kill themselves in droves you see...

Ignoring those many countries around the world with tight gun-control and high suicide rates as well as those nations and states with widespread gun ownership and low suicide rates, or even those adjacent states with similar or lower suicide rates than MA with much, much high rates of gun ownership.

It's for the children you see, because potato.

No but I expect MCOPA will be doing so, and it will not be in our favor.

To explain the quote above in simple terms. In 2021, a MA Dealer will no longer be prohibited from transferring a C&R gun to a C&R FFL in MA, given that said handgun is not on the EOPS approved list and wasn't in MA on 10/21/1998.

What does that do for C&R's now? Confused.

I haven't checked all 100+ sections but some of them that I have looked at over the past 4-6 months have been corrected.

I still usually cut and paste from Glidden's 2014 book as it is easier to search a PDF than deal with the state website.

Back
Top Bottom