• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun Laws In Effect Starting Today

So, today is January 1, 2015. The speculation and conjecture can end.

Anyone have a list or link to what laws changed overnight from the last big bill? What, if any are still left with a future effective date? Please include any changes to hunting laws as well. I know the pepper spray stuff went into effect a couple months ago.

Happy New Year, NES!!!

From that:

EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2015
1. Firearms dealers must post and distribute with each purchase a notice providing
information on suicide prevention.
This notice will be developed and provided by the division on violence and injury
prevention within the Department of Public Health.
2. An “Olympic competition firearms” roster will be developed for firearms or pistols
solely designed and sold for Olympic shooting competition.
3. Firearms licenses will remain valid after the expiration date of the license until the
application for renewal is either approved or denied. However, the licensee must
present a valid receipt from his/her local licensing authority showing that the
renewal application was submitted prior to the expiration of the current license.

I thought there would be more than this. The only other thing I know of is the pepper spray stuff, which already happened. You mean all those hearings, and all that wrangling was for THIS SMALL TIDBIT? I feel like they are throwing us a tiny bone, or splinters of a bone at that.

[bs2][angry][banghead]

The thing about Leo's being exempt from Awb crap is BS, why do they get to gave more than 10 Rd mags for personal use. I hate MA, I am not in a good mood today anyways. [frown]

What about a new website for personal transfers. I thought I remembered something about that.

It wasn't mentioned in the link given above. That's why I started this post, looking for that sort of stuff. Have a link, or law reference?

Thanks.

and all that wrangling was for THIS SMALL TIDBIT?
Add in -

- No permission slip required for pepper spray

- Removal of LTC-B (the LTC-B can complicate gun rights litigation)

- Suitability is now based on specific criteria, rather than any reason the issuing authority feels like (gutted Moyer vs. Shelburne)

Jim Wallace did a job of turd polishing rivaled only by that Mythbuster's trip to the zoo.

What about a new website for personal transfers. I thought I remembered something about that.

It's in the bill, but I'm not sure how it differs from the current FA-10 system:

Requires personal sales/transfers of all firearms, rifles, and shotguns to be completed through a web portal to be developed by the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services; the portal will, among other things, verify the identity of both buyer and seller, and ensure the sale/transfer complies with the law;
 Expands the eligibility disqualifications for firearms identification cards and licenses to carry

http://goal.org/Documents/2014-Changes to the Massachusetts Gun Laws - website notice - 08.2014.pdf

What about private sales. There was something requiring an online check, IIRC. Does this mean you have to use the EFA-10?

We really got shafted on the C&R exemption.

Doesn't take effect until 2021.

It's section 29..

SECTION 118. Sections 29 and 30 shall take effect on March 1, 2015; provided, however, that the chief information officer of the commonwealth, in conjunction with the secretary of public safety and security, shall procure any necessary information technology services to implement the real time web portal pursuant to said section 30 by October 1, 2014.

Other effective dates...

SECTION 117. Sections 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 31, 32, 37, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 46, 49, 51, 52, 54, 57, 58, 59, 60, 64, 65, 67, 73, 74, 76, 77, 79, 80, 84, 88, 91, 92, 94, 100, 101, and 102 shall take effect on January 1, 2015.

SECTION 118. Sections 29 and 30 shall take effect on March 1, 2015; provided, however, that the chief information officer of the commonwealth, in conjunction with the secretary of public safety and security, shall procure any necessary information technology services to implement the real time web portal pursuant to said section 30 by October 1, 2014.

SECTION 119. Section12 shall take effect on April 1, 2015.

SECTION 120. The first report under clause (10) of section 18 ¾ of chapter 6A of the General Laws shall be due not later than March 1, 2016.

SECTION 121. Section 34 is hereby repealed.

SECTION 122. Sections 24, 25, 34, 42, 47, 48, 50, 53, 55, 61, 62, 63, 66, 71, and 75 shall take effect on January 1, 2021.

Link to H.4376... https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H4376

I was wrong. Sooner than I though

They gave themselves some wriggle room though... "shall take effect on March 1, 2015; provided, however, that the chief information officer of the commonwealth"...

To the best of my knowledge, I don't know if they've met the Oct, 1 2014 goal or not.

I'm not even sure if they've even budgeted any money towards it yet.

They can delay and keep putting it off for the next 10 years, and it's a given that they'll still royally **** it up.

I'm absolutely certain that much of the above-posted changes are NOT ready and in the hands of dealers, etc. as of my writing this.

I know that FRB and EOPS are "working on this stuff" and I was advised to contact them for updated info sometime after today. I'm equally certain that MCOPA is working diligently on ways to circumvent the positive changes in the law!

The new web portal isn't likely to be ready for use until probably late in the year.

I will be creating a new, shorter seminar just on the changes . . . once I actually know what they are and how they are being implemented.

Edit: The actual law doesn't say "indefinite". But Goal's paraphrasing of the law does. So forget what I say below....

You have to be careful with the word "indefinite" in agreements, laws, etc..

"Provides an indefinite grace period if an applicant submits a renewal application prior to the expiration of his/her current license;"

Technically, if the CLEO says: "after you submit a renewal application, once your license expires, then you only have a 1 week grace period". Or, if they say, "1 month grace period". Or, if they say, "1 day grace period", then they will have satisfied this law.

Technically, "indefinite" means unspecified, undefined, not specified, unknown, unstated, vague etc. Whatever time length the CLEO says will be Ok under this wording.

Last edited:
From that:

I thought there would be more than this. The only other thing I know of is the pepper spray stuff, which already happened. You mean all those hearings, and all that wrangling was for THIS SMALL TIDBIT? I feel like they are throwing us a tiny bone, or splinters of a bone at that.

[bs2][angry][banghead]

1. Firearms dealers must post and distribute with each purchase a notice providing
information on suicide prevention.
This notice will be developed and provided by the division on violence and injury
prevention within the Department of Public Health.

Because everyone goes through all the crap to get a license, then through a NICS check to off themselves. I'm sure the info on prevention will help a lot.

This one I still don't understand, though it takes effect today:

SECTION 56. Paragraph (l) of said section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by inserting after the first sentence the following sentence:- The form for renewal shall include an affidavit in which the applicant shall verify that the applicant has not lost any firearms or had any firearms stolen from the applicant since the date of the applicant’s last renewal or issuance.

So suppose you DID have firearms stolen and correctly reported the theft at the time they were stolen??? You can't honestly sign an affidavit stating otherwise, right? So doe this mean you're ineligible to have your LTC or FID renewed???

Sheer stupidity.

This one I still don't understand, though it takes effect today:

SECTION 56. Paragraph (l) of said section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by inserting after the first sentence the following sentence:- The form for renewal shall include an affidavit in which the applicant shall verify that the applicant has not lost any firearms or had any firearms stolen from the applicant since the date of the applicant’s last renewal or issuance.

So suppose you DID have firearms stolen and correctly reported the theft at the time they were stolen??? You can't honestly sign an affidavit stating otherwise, right? So doe this mean you're ineligible to have your LTC or FID renewed???

Sheer stupidity.

As far as I understand it, This simply adds that page to application and there is no other info as to what the hell it means if you don't sign it and/or how you answer it.

I'm 99-44/100% sure that part doesn't take effect until 1/1/2021 (to allow all the current LTC-Bs to time out)

Yes and no. The law says no more Bs to be issued. The law also says that current Bs stay in effect as such (restricted, no large cap handguns) until they expire naturally which could be close to 2021.

Can anyone post the details on when a 14 year old can apply for an FID even through they can't receive it until they are 15?

I would suggest you have them apply 3 months before their birthday. It can't be issued until they are 15 so that might make an awesome birthday gift

Gun laws? Murder and armed robbery are already illegal why do we need anything further?

QFTMFT. The Anti logic that there are bad people who will commit crimes, but if it's hard to legally get a gun, they won't be able to commit crimes with guns, is completely asinine.

Back
Top Bottom