New gun law proposed in NH

HB37: AN ACT relative to the penalty for using a gun in the commission of a felony.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2009/HB0037.html

This bill provides for death by firing squad for causing the death of another by the use of a firearm, while engaged in the commission of a felony.

[shocked][rofl][bow]

Now that's what I call focusing gun laws on criminals not law-abiding gun-owners.

Last edited:
HB37: AN ACT relative to the penalty for using a gun in the commission of a felony.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2009/HB0037.html

This bill provides for death by firing squad for causing the death of another by the use of a firearm, while engaged in the commission of a felony.

[shocked][rofl][bow]

New that's what I call focusing gun laws on criminals not law-abiding gun-owners.
Hahah. That's because of the current death-penalty case, wherein it looks like NH has to outsource the execution. The makings of a lethal injection system we don't got... the makings of a firing squad? No problem. [rofl]

It also extends the penalty to all (knowing) felony murder via firearm.

Last edited:
I got worried when I saw the title of this thread, but much better once I read it. Where is the rep from who wrote it?

Here is another proposed law, basically a Florida style no-retreat self-defense law:

HB 160 – AS INTRODUCED

2009 SESSION

09-0353

04/09

HOUSE BILL 160

AN ACT relative to physical force in defense of a person.

SPONSORS: Rep. Pepino, Hills 11; Rep. Mead, Hills 4; Rep. B. Shaw, Hills 16; Rep. Baldasaro, Rock 3; Rep. P. Price, Hills 26; Sen. Gallus, Dist 1; Sen. Roberge, Dist 9; Sen. Letourneau, Dist 19

COMMITTEE: Criminal Justice and Public Safety

ANALYSIS

This bill allows a person who is in any place where he or she has a right to be to use deadly force to protect oneself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.

Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets]

Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.

09-0353

04/09

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Nine

AN ACT relative to physical force in defense of a person.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 Physical Force in Defense of a Person. Amend RSA 627:4, II(d) to read as follows:

(d) Is likely to use any unlawful force in the commission of a felony against the actor within such actor's dwelling [or], its curtilage, or in any place where the actor has a right to be.

2 Physical Force in Defense of a Person. Amend RSA 627:4, 111(a) to read as follows:

(a) Retreat from the encounter, except that he or she is not required to retreat if he or she is within his or her dwelling [or], its curtilage, or in any place where he or she has a right to be, and was not the initial aggressor; or

3 Effective Date. This act shall take effect January 1, 2010.

Sponsors include 3 state Senators:

Sponsors

(P)Leo Pepino (r) Alfred Baldasaro (r) Robert Letourneau (r)
Robert Mead (r) John Gallus (r) Pamela Price (r)
Barbara Shaw (d) Sheila Roberge (r)

I'm up for this bill. Hope it passes.

I'll bring a rifle and ammo to ease the burden on the state.

Last edited:
Firing squads would be a great tool for testing new ammo.Maybe we could find out for sure just how good or bad those Glaser/Magsafe rounds really are?

Here is another proposed law, basically a Florida style no-retreat self-defense law:

Sponsors include 3 state Senators:

Sponsors

(P)Leo Pepino (r) Alfred Baldasaro (r) Robert Letourneau (r)
Robert Mead (r) John Gallus (r) Pamela Price (r)
Barbara Shaw (d) Sheila Roberge (r)

A similar bill passed in 2006 and was vetoed by our esteemed govenor:

Veto Message of Governor John H. Lynch Regarding Senate Bill 318

By the authority vested in me as Governor of New Hampshire, pursuant to Part II, Article 44 of the Constitution of New Hampshire, on May 12, 2006, I vetoed SB 318, an act relative to the use of deadly force to protect oneself.

SB 318 will undermine public safety in New Hampshire and will frustrate aggressive prosecutions against drug dealers and other felons who escalate violence and dangerously discharge guns in our streets and neighborhoods. That is why the Attorney General, the New Hampshire Association of Police Chiefs, county attorneys and law enforcement officials across this state have all urged me to veto this bill. Moreover, both policy committees that heard testimony on this bill - the Senate Judiciary Committee and the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee - opposed the bill.

I have tremendous respect for New Hampshire's police officers. Each day, they put themselves in harm's way to ensure that our communities remain safe and our laws are diligently enforced. SB 318 will make it more difficult, and more dangerous, for police officers to do their jobs.

New Hampshire law already makes clear that citizens can stand their ground and use deadly force whenever necessary to protect themselves and their loved ones whose lives are in jeopardy. Current law allows a person to use deadly force in any location against another in response to deadly force, or to prevent the commission of a serious crime such as kidnapping or forcible sexual assault, wherever and whenever those crimes may occur. Current law also justifies the use of deadly force against intruders entering one's home, regardless of whether the intruder has used or threatened to use deadly force. These laws honor the sanctity of human life, the sanctity of one's own home, and the right of citizens to defend themselves and others.

Our current laws are working well, and there is no indication that they have been misapplied or abused by prosecutors. At the public hearings on this bill, no cases were identified where an individual was wrongly convicted or unjustly charged with a criminal offense for having used deadly force in self defense or in defense of others. Prosecutors recognize the legitimate use of deadly force in self defense by New Hampshire citizens.

SB 318 would legalize a host of inappropriate uses of deadly force. The bill would allow a person to use deadly force in response to many instances of non-deadly force that do not warrant the taking of another human life, even in public places such as shopping malls, public streets, restaurants and churches. In a crowded shopping mall, for example, SB 318 would authorize any shopper to instantly shoot and kill a thief who had grabbed or tugged at the shopper's purse or briefcase, regardless of how many shoppers might be placed in harm's way by such actions. Deadly force should only be used in public places when absolutely necessary, for which existing law already provides.

In our courts, SB 318 would offer new defenses to hardened criminals. SB 318 would burden our prosecutors and benefit felons and drug dealers who brandish weapons and carry out violent encounters to support their illegal trade. This bill will only encourage felons to inject violence into our public places under the guise of self defense.

I will continue to support legislation that supports our police officers, strengthens our public safety and honors the rights of New Hampshire citizens to protect themselves and their loved ones against danger. This bill does not further any of those goals, and represents a dramatic and unwarranted change in our criminal law. Given that current law is effectively working and widely supported by the law enforcement community, I am vetoing SB 318.

Respectfully submitted,

Governor

Date: May 12 2006

I've got a slight problem with this Bill;

Why specify crime with a gun? Is a murder with a gun any worse than stabbing someone to death? I don't see anybody looking to execute people with a knife who have killed with a knife.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it makes it look like guns are way more dangerous than anything else and therefore need a greater deterrent (firing squad).

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for punishing criminals. Instead of "Three strikes and you're out", I'm all for "One strike and you're dead".

>>thats why I am trying to move to the "Live Free Or Die" state.<<

Well, now's the time to do it.... there's plenty of houses for sale here!

Wow, a new gun law I can actually get behind! I agree though, why should it matter if it was a gun or not. Firing squad is definitely cost-effective though!

If they pass both of these I will get real serious about my desire to move north. It is already frusterating enough to live a couple of miles south of the border.

thats awesome!!!!! i would like to see it where any instance when you kill somebody you are killed by a firing squad. it doesn't matter what kind of tool they used just the fact that they killed somebody when it was not in self defense.

I'll pay for the bullets. China has a good solution...they send a bill for the bullet to the family of the criminal.

I guess in China it is one to the back of the head. Here I believe that it is 5 shooters with 4 rounds plus 1 blank. This way a shooter never knows if his round killed the guy or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

>>thats why I am trying to move to the "Live Free Or Die" state.<<

Well, now's the time to do it.... there's plenty of houses for sale here!

believe you me... we have been trying. Its easier said than done. Our house has been on the market here in MA for a year and a half. No go.... Very frustrating. The second it sells we are moving to Walpole, NH.

just cant get rid of this house. ARRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!![angry]

I think it is a huge mistake to have a special penalty for killing someone with a firearm. Hitting them in the head with a hammer is just as bad, why should the penalty be more lenient?

Hahah. That's because of the current death-penalty case, wherein it looks like NH has to outsource the execution. The makings of a lethal injection system we don't got... the makings of a firing squad? No problem. [rofl]

How about a rope?
That's cost effective and reusable too [wink]

Seeing this introduced in NH just rubs salt in my wounds for living in MA. I can hear the hippie, liberals screaming now about how its cruel to take an eye for an eye. [crying]

Back
Top Bottom