• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun Jitters

So, I bought my second gun last Friday (luckily the store wasn't experiencing any Black Friday insanity), a shiny new Ruger MkIII Target. I've got the gun, several hundred rounds of ammo, but tomorrow is the first day I'll have a chance to get to the range and shoot it. It's killing me! I want to go now! Is it tomorrow yet?

Anyone else get really anxious to give their new babies a workout?

Every single time. [laugh]

I try and get to the range the very same day if possible. If not I will go home and fondle/disect/dissasemble it to keep me occupied.

lol I am the same way. Picked up my new o/u shotgun today. Brought cleaning supplies to my FFL/range. Owned it legally according to the Federal background check. Cleaned it, greased oiled what needed cleaning greasing, and 20 minutes later shot my first round of Trap with it.

Tomorrow we'll put it through another 5-6 rounds.

Snow? What snow? I got ammo and long underwear!

^first break down on the mark III that will pass some time allright^[laugh2]

Yeah, that's the only thing I'm not looking forward to. I like to clean after each time out...so either I'll get good at breaking down the mkIII, or I'll just give up and clean less [grin] I'm thinking of buying a bore snake just to make life a bit easier.

I'm getting a membership at a local range come beginning of January, until then i have to drive to the nearest pay to play place, in this case Manchester Firing Line. Once I get my range membership, I'll have access to the 24/7 indoor pistol range, so this won't be a problem any more [smile]

I've heard mobil 1 as a lube before...strikes me as odd, with all the recommendations I've seen for it, I'm sure it works great. Just seems weird to me, maybe eventually I'll pick some up to use. Synthetic or Au Naturale? Right now I have a bottle of something or other that works fine, no point in spending money I don't need to.

I plan on upgrading this gun a bit, but not right away.

^first break down on the mark III that will pass some time allright^[laugh2]

I was nervous about buying a Mark III because of this issue but once I set aside time to take it apart and put it back together, I didn't find it difficult. It certainly didn't take that long. Compared to a normal semi-auto, yes, it's in another league, but at no point did I feel like there was a chance it wasn't going to go back together properly.

The mechanical aspect of pistols is part of the draw for me, and I'd never use it in any kind of defensive situation so maybe my perspective is different.

Anyone else get really anxious to give their new babies a workout?

Just got a new Glock 21 myself and I'm dying to go to the range today. I'm supposed to head out at about 10am. Have fun with the Mark III. I have one and it is definitely a tough task the first couple of times to breakdown and reassemble but you will get the hang of it. I still can't believe how hard I have to hit it with a rubber mallet to get barrel on and off. Good Luck

Nobody cleans .22's, do they? LOL. Enjoy breaking it in. Good choice. Rugged and accurate.
If you give it a shot of a good aerosol synthetic lube before you shoot it, it won't NEED to be cleaned for quite a while. But many folks LIKE to clean 'em every time.
Then there's the school of thought that says start with a dry gun to let the parts wear in by dry friction. Not sure if that's what Ruger recommends. In any case, .22 pistols don't need to be dripping with oil. A little lube on the moving parts will do.

I used to get anxious to shoot a new gun, now I get anxious to get a new gun then sometimes I may wait up to a month before I shoot it. Not that it takes that long to get to the range I may go a few times before hand and just shoot something else. Then when I am ready I put it through it's paces and start to work up a load that it likes. But I know what you mean it's always fun and never gets old.

i did that with the first few guns i bought. I think i waited a week or so, just because i didnt have membership/time. A few days ago, however, i got my latest, and shot it a few hours later [smile]

Well, I love the gun, but violated Rule 1 of owning a Ruger .22...NEVER TAKE IT APART

Can't get the F$#$@#ING mainspring lever doodad back in...geh...

Guess I should get back to the challenge...

Well, the gun is reassembled. Thanks for all your help, NES, I couldn't have done it without you. Apparently the receiver wasn't far enough back on the frame.

I was swearing I'd never tear the thing down again, but now that I got it this time and saw what I was doing wrong, I might just tempt fate...now that I know what I did wrong, it wasn't all that difficult (he says now). I certainly got enough practice putting the rest of it together...

The week wait to shoot was definitely worth it, though I would still rather not have the wait :) Chewed the black out of the center of the target at just shy of 10 yards, just casually shooting without really aiming hard, and I'm not the best shot on the planet by far. I also got to try out some new mags on my 1911, life is good. The only problem now is I'm out of .45[crying]..need another ammo run!

Now I have to buy another gun so I can not so patiently wait to take it out to the range [wink]

Well, I love the gun, but violated Rule 1 of owning a Ruger .22...NEVER TAKE IT APART

Can't get the F$#$@#ING mainspring lever doodad back in...geh...

Guess I should get back to the challenge...

I took apart mine after about 600 rounds, when I told my guy at the local gun shop that I was having a hard time getting everything lined back up/getting the pin through he asked how many rounds I had through it. I was embaressed that I had gone 600 round without cleaning. He laughed and said I should have waited till 2000 rounds minimum!
Oh, if you can't get the pin in the cup, dangle the gun by the trigger guard from one finger and it should line up.

Back
Top Bottom