• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun expended cartridge?

In God We Trust

NES Member
Heard a new one today. I know most guns come with a he white envelope that has the test fire casing in it.

A guy today told me the bullet goes to the FBI to record the rifling. I figure it’s bullshit, but I never really thought about it.

What say the forum?

Heard a new one today. I know most guns come with a he white envelope that has the test fire casing in it.

A guy today told me the bullet goes to the FBI to record the rifling. I figure it’s bullshit, but I never really thought about it.

What say the forum?
So every company is digging through backstop fill to find every test bullet from every gun? Seems rather laborious. Also seems like the FBI should know a lot more about unsolved gun crimes than they seem to.

Stop the Ball Earth Propaganda.

You'll p!ss of the elephants and Turtle that hold it up

1644447748960-png.574816
[bs]

What holds the turtle up?

I bought a number of new firearms last year, a few direct from sig, and none of them came with that.

if you've ever watched them test fire guns you'd know right away that is not true and not possible. they don't take one gun out to the range one at a time, they roll them down to the test range on racks very similar to racks i saw in a national guard armory once, there are maybe 100 guns on the rack. i watched the procedure once and after, i highly doubt the case that's included is an actual case from your gun. time restraints basicly require the people doing the test firings just load and pound away to the point where they swap out shooters every so often. several people were loading mags while several were shooting then they swap jobs. again, i witnessed this operation with my own eyes but it was a while ago. maybe the procedure has changed since.

anyone ever reloaded a test casing...??? [rofl]

Last edited:
So every company is digging through backstop fill to find every test bullet from every gun? Seems rather laborious. Also seems like the FBI should know a lot more about unsolved gun crimes than they seem to.

I'm thinking the backstop would probably do sufficient damage to the bullet that getting a positive match would be problematic.

You also forget: every new gun comes covered in a special liquid such that when you grab the gun for the first time, it imprints your fingerprint forever. The only way to get rid of it is to grind the frame down. FBI uses it to collect fingerprints of all gun owners.

There is also another program that was developed by the AFT science division: Every federal employee has a badge. The badge has a chip in it such that when you fire a specially designed bullet, it will veer away from the badge owner. These bullets have small steering wings that pop out once the bullet exits the barrel. It's basically impossible to hit a federal employee with a badge. All ammo sold by Federal comes with these special bullets. Why do you think the company is called "Federal".

Oh, and I've also heard that all new primers come with a special chemical compound that reacts with a special high frequency. Only FBI knows the frequency. They have these frequency clickers the size of key chains: when they click the button, the primers in your ammo will not ignite!

I got more....

What say the forum?

It is bullshit but most vendors have stopped doing the fired case, because Maryland ditched its fingerprinting system after spending millions on it and only using it in like ONE investigation.... [rofl]

It's turtles, all the way down.
The following anecdote is told of William James. [...] After a lecture on cosmology and the structure of the solar system, James was accosted by a little old lady.

"Your theory that the sun is the centre of the solar system, and the earth is a ball which rotates around it has a very convincing ring to it, Mr. James, but it's wrong. I've got a better theory," said the little old lady.

"And what is that, madam?" inquired James politely.

"That we live on a crust of earth which is on the back of a giant turtle."

Not wishing to demolish this absurd little theory by bringing to bear the masses of scientific evidence he had at his command, James decided to gently dissuade his opponent by making her see some of the inadequacies of her position.

"If your theory is correct, madam," he asked, "what does this turtle stand on?"

"You're a very clever man, Mr. James, and that's a very good question," replied the little old lady, "but I have an answer to it. And it's this: The first turtle stands on the back of a second, far larger, turtle, who stands directly under him."

"But what does this second turtle stand on?" persisted James patiently.

To this, the little old lady crowed triumphantly,

"It's no use, Mr. James—it's turtles all the way down."

I'm thinking the backstop would probably do sufficient damage to the bullet that getting a positive match would be problematic.

Depends on what the backstop is, if you dig around in the sand berm at any shooting range, you'll find plenty of perfectly intact bullets with rifling marks etc on them. Makes me wonder as a scientific expiriment how much accuracy would suffer if you took like, a .45 FMJ bullet, and reloaded it again. Like take a batch of 50 reloads, fire them all into a spot in the sand, retreive as many as you can and clean and reload the bullets.... and see how much accuracy suffers, etc.

If I had powerball money id have a company that made a sifting machine, so you could take a skid steer and just dump the front of a berm into it, and screen out the bullets and then a club could recycle them somehow. Club gets money from the used bullets and reduces lead leaching or whatever. A win-win. Probably too pricey to be viable though. It'd be like a loam screening machine, but smaller with holes small enough to still capture all but the smallest projectiles. Unless someone modeled it as a sort of a service and would keep a % of the take as a "vig" for the service or whatever, depending on various metrics in terms of how much was excavated, etc. Then theres that whole "keeping the berm from getting too messed up" thing, but im sure theres a way to control that.

if i were setting up such a test, it would be into a water load, and each bullet i would collect from the funnel bottom with gravity delivering it to me.
the water would still deform the bullet somewhat, but not too badly

Back
Top Bottom