• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun Control Executive Orders

Today, the Administration is announcing a new policy of denying requests to bring military-grade firearms back into the United States to private entities, with only a few exceptions such as for museums. This new policy will help keep military-grade firearms off our streets.

The CMP wont be getting anything anymore from overseas. There is still a lot of Garands and carbines over there.

Still not perfectly clear.

Keeping Surplus Military Weapons Off Our Streets

•When the United States provides military firearms to its allies, either as direct commercial sales or through the foreign military sales or military assistance programs, those firearms may not be imported back into the United States without U.S. government approval. Since 2005, the U.S. Government has authorized requests to reimport more than 250,000 of these firearms.
•Today, the Administration is announcing a new policy of denying requests to bring military-grade firearms back into the United States to private entities, with only a few exceptions such as for museums. This new policy will help keep military-grade firearms off our streets.

The first bullet point is just some loose facts. The second doesn't give me a ton of confidence that they're strictly talking about guns that were once given out by the .gov. You'd normally be safe inferring that from their use of "back into," but this administration can't be trusted an inch.

Is it correct that importers of foreign-origin guns also have to approved by the .gov before being imported?

Still not perfectly clear.

The first bullet point is just some loose facts. The second doesn't give me a ton of confidence that they're strictly talking about guns that were once given out by the .gov. You'd normally be safe inferring that from their use of "back into," but this administration can't be trusted an inch.

Is it correct that importers of foreign-origin guns also have to approved by the .gov before being imported?

Of course they will be vague to give themselves room to deny this or that or change definitions at a later time or when it suite their purpose.

This was clearly done out of spite and frustration... 'the NRA, Congress doesn't want to cooperate or accept our demands... I'll show them who's boss'.

I'm willing to bet even Obama, and all but the most hard core gun grabbers, know either of these executive actions have never been a problem in the past, and will have zero effect on firearms related crime/violence.

It's all bullshit and a big **** you message directed at gun owners.

So this, to me, sounds like nothing changed as it refers to an NFA trust:

Today, ATF is issuing a new proposed regulation to close this loophole. The proposed rule requires individuals associated with trusts or corporations that acquire these types of weapons to undergo background checks, just as these individuals would if the weapons were registered to them individually. By closing this loophole, the regulation will ensure that machine guns and other particularly dangerous weapons do not end up in the wrong hands.

Even if you are part of a trust, you still need to be properly licensed and have the background check in order to possess said weapons, no?

"Today, ATF is issuing a new proposed regulation to close this loophole."

Which? The ability to won guns? That's the biggest one they have that pesky 2nd Amendment,

This is so ****ed up. Increased NFA waittimes plus a likely jump in MG prices (maybe temporary spike in suppressor and sbr prices too).

I wonder if shutting off the prospect of future "imports" will do anything to the prices for existing surplus/GI stuff.

The CMP isn't a private entity. Its a GSE (Government Sponsored Entity). And I believe the rifles it sells aren't imported into the US, but returned to the Army, who by law has to turn them over to the CMP. That isn't to say he could order a stop to that also.

I ****ing hate this guy. Not allowing us made firearms that were carried by those with much more character than him, to be brought back is absurd. Also if this affects my suppressor paperwork, which has been at atf for 6 months, I will be furious.

Where do you think this will leave surplus ammo? I bet not good.

Last edited:
There is no plus side, but it looks like still won't require CLEO sig though. And I'm a little confused, I understand that if executive branch approves imports that he may be able to pull off number 2. But I thought number 1 was part of legislation, wouldn't that require congress?

"Sooner or later, we are going to get this right," Obama said that day in the White House Rose Garden, with the families of Newtown victims and former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords — herself a victim of a gunman — at his side. "The memories of these children demand it, and so do the American people," the president said at the time.

He is SO full of $hit!

Somewhere in Chicago, a young man with plans to kill a rival gang member with an SBR'd imported rifle registered to his NFA trust is thinking of changing his ways. Well done, Mr. President. Well done.

Yeah, because gang bangers are running around the 'hood with M1 Garands.

Exactly. Seriously. ****ing infuriating. How vague can this be right?

The only loophole I see is how life was created by inbred parents. See Obummer, holder , Biden , etc etc.

Cordwood.

Somewhere in Chicago, a young man with plans to kill a rival gang member with an SBR'd imported rifle registered to his NFA trust is thinking of changing his ways. Well done, Mr. President. Well done.

Burn.

That would mean that I, if I ever decided to move to the U.S., could kiss a trunkload of guns out of my collection
goodbye. M1 Garand, M1D, M1917, 2 M1 Carbines, 1911, 1911A1, Colt 1903, S&W 2nd Model HE all couldn't get back
to where they were born. That's besides all the PPK's and other .25/.32 "pocket pistols" which are banned
from importation due to being smaller than the mandatory minimums. NUTS!

i've got a trust, and a mosin M44.

looks like both just suddenly got morer awesomer.

this is bullshit.

Completely off topic, but skim words took "mosin M44" and turned it into a link for this on Newegg: Newegg.com - Ncstar MM44/91 Ncstar Mosin Nagant M44 91 Weaver Scope Mount Which is in a section that I didn't even know newegg HAD " Home > Marketplace > Pet Supplies > Birds > Food > NcSTAR >" Apparently, newegg sells pet food to animals that eat scope mount rails...

From the White House "Fact" Sheet (Which, incidentally contains very few actual "facts")

Today, ATF is issuing a new proposed regulation to close this loophole. The proposed rule requires individuals associated with trusts or corporations that acquire these types of weapons to undergo background checks, just as these individuals would if the weapons were registered to them individually. By closing this loophole, the regulation will ensure that machine guns and other particularly dangerous weapons do not end up in the wrong hands.

This could have significant ramifications for the acquisition of NFA items by trusts. If the terms "individuals associated with trusts" is read to mean the trustees (e.g., the people with the right to possess the firearm), then very little has effectively changed. However, if this vague terminology is construed to mean all parties to the trusts, then it becomes impossible to background check all beneficiaries, particularly in situations where the trust beneficiaries are presently unlicancealbe. For example, if the contingent beneficiaries of a trust are your children, but your children have not reached age 21 and do not have an LTC, can they be successfully background checked? What if provisions of your trust specifically dictate that the contingent beneficiaries do not have an actual right to the firearm; i.e., they will be sold, and they get the money, for example? What then? They are arguably an "individual associated with the trust", but would be practically impossible for ATF to background check every potential trust beneficiary.

Therefore, three possibilities exist: (a)This is an attempted end-run to nullify NFA trusts at the federal level (including NFA Trusts that are already established) by making it "impossible" background check all parties, and deny the acquisition; (b) this is not the intent, but reflects only sloppy drafting; or (c) we can expect to see additional guidance from BATFE on the legallity of NFA trust construction. However, this is unlikely, as BATFE has consistently stated that their primary concern is only that the trust be legal under state law. Therefore, my bets are on A or B.

Before the official keeper of the clock makes any decisions, though, this charlie foxtrot drafting needs to get sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom