• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Glock 17: Zev Technologies or Salient Arms?

Salient Arms or Zev Technologies

• Salient Arms International

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Zev Technologies

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Update: Thanks for the advice all- it has been fun. So far I either have in my possession or have ordered the following...

-Trijicon HD Sights
-Zev Ultimate Fulcrum drop in trigger
-Zev extended mag release
-KKM threaded barrel
-stainless guide rod
-33 rnd mag (because, why not?)

Still debating how big of a tool I would be getting at flared magwell (no comment needed). Also still on the fence WRT stippling/trigger guard undercut..Pictures to follow once I get it set up!

-Dan

They have 33 rnd prebans?

Get what you want if it will make you smile.

the question re magwells is if you want something trim and subtle or a big honkin Dawson ICE.

I've got an ICE on my 2011 based Brazos and its very fast.

Don

010-087.jpg

There are 2 company making smaller, CCW sized magwells for G19's and G17's, one is Austere Provisions, I don't remember the other. Sailent maybe?

I am going to get one when some day for my tinker G19 to see how I like it. That is one mod I would add to my actual carry gun if I think it is worth it.

10610638_10153101641219382_1842568086784496042_n.jpg

http://www.austereprovisions.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SD-MF1722

Get what you want if it will make you smile.

the question re magwells is if you want something trim and subtle or a big honkin Dawson ICE.

I've got an ICE on my 2011 based Brazos and its very fast.

Don

010-087.jpg

Trim and subtle is the name of the game for me.

They have 33 rnd prebans?

Yes, but does it matter? No. Can we stop crapping up discussions of hardware with MA garbage? Not everyone lives in this dump, or cares. Bringing up MA crap in an otherwise normal thread, is like crapping your pants, intentionally, and then running around- in a nice restaurant while others are eating.

-Mike

Mike,

Good point.

Back before I moved to MA, I used to go on rants about the fact that this is NORTHEAST shooters. Not MASS shooters.
At one point, it got so bad that people would respond with a MA perspective in the CT law section. This was back when CT law was not so bad. (See my obsolete sticky in the CT law section)

There are 2 company making smaller, CCW sized magwells for G19's and G17's, one is Austere Provisions, I don't remember the other. Sailent maybe?

I am going to get one when some day for my tinker G19 to see how I like it. That is one mod I would add to my actual carry gun if I think it is worth it.

10610638_10153101641219382_1842568086784496042_n.jpg

http://www.austereprovisions.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SD-MF1722

How do you rip out the magazine in an emergency? It looks like you can't get your fingers around the base.

How do you rip out the magazine in an emergency? It looks like you can't get your fingers around the base.

I run the full size ICE with Dawson mag extensions. So grabbing them isn't an issue. For the standard baseplate mags you can't grab them. You'd have to bang it out, I.e. Use your strong hand to drive the trigger guard into your off hand to jar it out if it was actually stuck.

Mags can stick whether cold or dirty. I just started running the Dawson's and I really like them as the add weight and capacity.

Other solutions to maintain stock capacity/size would be getting brass floor plates to add weight which are available from multiple sources.

If you are going to use it defensively, you should make some accommodation to be able to pull it out. Even if you don't carry a spare mag, sometimes pulling the mag, stashing it under your arm and then working the problem is a good way to go.

Installed the...

-Zev Ultimate Fulcrum trigger
-KKM match barrel
-Stainless guide rod
-Extended mag release
-3lb firing pin spring

*Getting the sights installed this weekend as I do not have a rear sight "pusher"

Installed the...

-Zev Ultimate Fulcrum trigger
-KKM match barrel
-Stainless guide rod
-Extended mag release
-3lb firing pin spring

*Getting the sights installed this weekend as I do not have a rear sight "pusher"

is the trigger worth the money they ask??

Are you sure you want such a light striker spring? Stock is 5.5. A stock trigger would feel fantastic with such a light spring. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is my understanding that light striker springs can lead to light strikes.

Exactly my point.

I run a 3.5 or 4 pound spring in my Glock 34 and 35, but they are toys, and only with my reloads with Federal primers which are known to be soft.

On a defensive gun, which was the posters stated purpose here, I would not want less than 4.5 pounds. And even then only with some good testing of the actual ammo I intended to use.

Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The firing pin spring is easy enough to replace..It came with a lot of them. I figured I would just throw it in and give it a go. The trigger seems really nice- the reset is positive and pronounced. I also like the wider trigger shoe and the fact that it is steel as opposed to plastic. Hopefully I will take it to the range tonight...Will let you all know how it goes!

It is my understanding that light striker springs can lead to light strikes.
My experience on my competition guns is that they need to be replaced more often, but they work as long as they work. After maybe 1000 rounds I put in a new one.

I wouldn't use one on a carry gun.

My experience on my competition guns is that they need to be replaced more often, but they work as long as they work. After maybe 1000 rounds I put in a new one. I wouldn't use one on a carry gun.

That surprises me.

My competition revolver has a radically lightened hammer and mainspring. It works reliably with well-seated Federal primers. With other primers and commercial defensive ammo I get 50% failures to fire.

I have read of folks having similar behavior with lightened Glock striker springs.

You also need to keep the striker channel clean. The stock one I'm sure takes all of that into account. 1) high round count. 2) dirty striker channel 3) hard primers.

You can certainly get away with much less than 5.5#, but you lose safety margin. Either way, the OP explained that the trigger came with a bunch of springs. he's just testing with the 3# initially.

Don

Depends on the springs i think. There are so many choices. I absolutely refuse to use anything but the factory fp spring in a glock.

That surprises me.

My competition revolver has a radically lightened hammer and mainspring. It works reliably with well-seated Federal primers. With other primers and commercial defensive ammo I get 50% failures to fire.

I have read of folks having similar behavior with lightened Glock striker springs.
I've run CCI primers on my 45 cal Glock without any issues.

Of course, since those primers are harder than Federal, the spring may not remain functional quite as long. Haven't done any testing to be able to quantify the limits.

Depends on the springs i think. There are so many choices. I absolutely refuse to use anything but the factory fp spring in a glock.

You can certainly choose to do that.

But if you have a competition gun and you reload with Federal primers, you are cheating yourself out of a nice, easy, $2 trigger upgrade.

For anything that might at any time see defensive use, then I'm with you 100%.

I've had 100% reliability with my federal primed reloads with either a 3.5 or 4# striker spring. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet I wouldn't do so well against hard Russian primers.

Don

Back
Top Bottom