New Glock 17: Zev Technologies or Salient Arms?

Salient Arms or Zev Technologies

• Salient Arms International

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Zev Technologies

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It becomes a question of bang for buck. Do the Salient and other variations increase/decrease performance/reliability?

To be frank, my $750 AR shoots just as deadly as my $3,000 AR. For a SHTF piece, or anything other than professional competition, one could spend less and end up with something similarly excellent without reducing the benefit of the Glocks OEM reliability.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course those are cool suckers, and i'm sure they are excellent. But I wouldn't spend that kind of doe on a glock or any handgun other than Pattons .45 :)

This keeps coming back to money. If you can afford a salient and all the ammo then whats the problem?

The problem is it's still a shitty mcshit grade investment for most gun owners. Even if I have gobs of money to spend on guns, that extra money is better spent on other things, whether it's another gun, more ammo (which most of us never have enough of) magazines, or paying for training, etc.

Companies like Salient and others came into the market to capitalize on the tinfoiling retard contingent that was birthed upon us post Obamascare-2, more or less. Someone said "Wow there are millions of new gun owners, and some of them are chumps with money to waste. How can I profit?"
Buying a Salient Glock is about one step above having a Deagle or that double barreled 1911, IMHO. [rofl] (and actually, as far as an "investment" goes, those other two will probalby retain more of their value, so I can't be too hard on them).

-Mike

Last edited:
The problem is it's still a shitty investment for most gun owners. Even if I have gobs of money to spend on guns, that extra money is better spent on other things, whether it's another gun, more ammo (which most of us never have enough of) magazines, or paying for training, etc.

Buying a Salient Glock is about one step above having a Deagle or that double barreled 1911, IMHO. [rofl]

-Mike

The other things is a good point. You need extra (at least 6 imo) mags, holsters (concealment and combat/competition style), mag pouches, and a good belt, on top of sights to be effective with your pistol in training or competition. So if a whiz-bang glock with a gold colored barrel costs $1000 (more I am sure), you still need to invest an other ~$2-300+ in support gear. Or, buy a $500 pistol, spend the rest of that money wisely on gear and ammo, and chuckle to yourself at the nickle plated sissy pistol that the guy next to you takes out of it's own special case.

Wanted to get the peanut gallery's opinion on whether to customize it using Salient Arms, or Zev Technologies. The mods will include the following:

-Trigger/springs kit (I love the Zev fulcrum)
-Threaded barrel
-New slide or machined slide with forward serrations
-Trijicon HD sights
-Stippled grip
-Extended mag release
-Possibly a flared magwell with weight (do NOT want the huge Zev one though)

The purpose for this build will be an all around combat handgun- range, classes, etc. I want this to be my SHTF handgun.

OP.
None of what you list will make you shoot better if you can't shoot well with a stock Glock.

Competitors are the ones who truly benefit from customization. PMC's get deployed and are issued firearm/s and do well with them.
^ Think about that comparison.

I'm with mike on this. I have a pretty tricked out G19 and wouldnt go a step further.

Glockworx fulcrum trigger
Ghost connector
Stainless pins
polished internals
Vickers extended slide release
Cerakoted slide
sights of your choosing
a bunch of prebans

All that and i'm still less than half of a Salient, and lets be real. Who needs slide cuts? especially on a SHTF piece

And much of this doesn't actually makes the gun run or shoot better.

FLUFF
Stainless pins
Cerakoted slide

IMPROVED FUNCTION
sights of your choosing
a bunch of prebans

UNNECESSARY PERFORMANCE TUNING.
(Nice but unnecessary, and could adversely affect reliability)
Ghost connector
polished internals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been thinking about getting a Zev Glock 17 Dragonfly for some time but did not want to get such a hardcore (to me) race gun. Also, the cut out slide was not an ideal feature as I beat the heck out of my guns (dirt, gravel etc). So, this Gen III 17 followed me home today..I am going to build my own combat/tactical Glock 17. I am not sure if I will send it in to get everything done, or simply piece it together and get a local shop to stipple the grip.

Wanted to get the peanut gallery's opinion on whether to customize it using Salient Arms, or Zev Technologies. The mods will include the following:

-Trigger/springs kit (I love the Zev fulcrum)
-Threaded barrel
-New slide or machined slide with forward serrations
-Trijicon HD sights
-Stippled grip
-Extended mag release
-Possibly a flared magwell with weight (do NOT want the huge Zev one though)

The purpose for this build will be an all around combat handgun- range, classes, etc. I want this to be my SHTF handgun.

So, do I trick it out with Salient Arms International, or Zev Technologies?

so much hostility on this thread. Hey man don't listen to a single person unless they've shot a salient. I'm a highly trained shooter and know what I'm talking about. I also happen to be financially secure so buying anything I want is how I roll. I will gladly let you shoot my Salient or Agency anytime. I'm a member at Worcester Pistol & Rifle. Just PM me if you want to take me up on it

SHTF? Better have a nice rifle.

Salient, Zev, Bone stock, its probably sitting in a holster somewhere on you while your rifle is putting in work.

so much hostility on this thread. Hey man don't listen to a single person unless they've shot a salient. I'm a highly trained shooter and know what I'm talking about
So, the rest of us are morons, new to guns, and never had any training, and we talk out of our asses? You sound like a braggart. Go step on a Lego.

So, the rest of us are morons, new to guns, and never had any training, and we talk out of our asses? You sound like a braggart. Go step on a Lego.
Whoa I didn't mean it that way. I just re read my post. My apologies. I meant don't listen to anyone's opinion on a salient unless they've shot one

Whoa I didn't mean it that way. I just re read my post. My apologies. I meant don't listen to anyone's opinion on a salient unless they've shot one

I have, but I am over arguing about the value of one. What makes the LVOA worth the premium they command?

I have, but I am over arguing about the value of one. What makes the LVOA worth the premium they command?

Not sure. The fit and finish are excellent. They shoot dead flat. The CMC Trigger is sick and controls are all ambi and super easy to manipulate but also just got it so haven't had much time with it. So far totally worth it to me

I'm sure the gun is wonderful. Problem is I know for a fact it's not "$2500 and a shitload of waiting" wonderful. The whole point of Glocks is that they're relatively cheap. If I'm gonna dump 2-3K on a pistol it better be an SVI 2011 or something like that. If a plastic gun costs more than an MK23 SOCOM, someone is doing something wrong. Like as in horribly, horribly wrong. [laugh]

I also have a hard time believing that reducing the recoiling mass of the slide like they do isn't going to affect reliability in some way. Either the thing is going to stop faster due to dirt, be more sensitive to anything perceived as a limp wrist, or both. Otherwise Glock would be cutting holes in their slides to save weight if they thought they could get away with it, to give them even more of an edge over their competitors. I'm just not buying a lot of the stuff they do as being in the "Free lunch" category.

-Mike

And much of this doesn't actually makes the gun run or shoot better.

FLUFF
Stainless pins
Cerakoted slide

IMPROVED FUNCTION
sights of your choosing
a bunch of prebans

UNNECESSARY PERFORMANCE TUNING.
(Nice but unnecessary, and could adversely affect reliability)
Ghost connector
polished internals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point exactly, a stock G19 wouldn't really be any worse than mine. Though I will say the fulcrum trigger is excellent :)

Wow! Just checked in on this thread and oh how things have derailed! Before anyone else wastes their time with "don't do anything..practice practice, buy ammo, practice"- Let me say that I subscribe to the same logic. That said, I have other guns that I have not touched (and I'm sure 99.9 percent of those chiming in don't have just one, bone stock gun in their safe)- my favorite being my Wilson Combat Classic, fear not: it is untouched and pure as the driven snow.

I got a great deal on this Glock through a blue label dealer, and I wish to throw some extra "enhancements" on it. I hate Glock triggers (personal preference and Im sure if I just "manned up" or whatever was suggested hahaha I would get used to etc etc)- Ive always replaced mine with Ghost springs and connectors. This time around, I want to try out either Salient or Zev or a different company that the members of this forum would recommend.

Also, I disagree with the whole Salient arms/ Zev/ other companies came in to cater to the Tinfoil hat brigade or whatever that post was about..I saw "Obama" and kept scrolling...[rolleyes] Companies that offer enhancements do so to take a great platform and make it even better or at least cater that "frame" to a certain sport or function. Look at Wilson, for God's sake and what they did to the 92FS with the Brigadier- er wait, the 1911 in general!!! You can't tell me that Zev and or Salient have not added to the popularity of this often taboo obsession we all have of collecting guns through the proliferation of competitions and such...

I will end this rant with the fact that this is not my "welcome aboard" post and I am not just getting into handguns and looking for my first one...I am instead trying something new out and seeing where it takes me. I provided a list of proposed modifications to discuss the pros and cons amongst people who have done similarly to their Glocks.

Someone paid to have a gun painted to look worn and shitty? Now I have seen everything. What happened to buying a gun and shooting until YOU wore the finish yourself?

Its easier to buy it worn then to actually put the time in...I probably wouldn't even need to practice anymore! It is like instant street cred...hahah

Companies that offer enhancements do so to take a great platform and make it even better or at least cater that "frame" to a certain sport or function.

When it comes to Glocks, quite often such "enhancements" have to primary effects:

1) They reduce reliability.
2) The lighten the purchaser's wallet.

As an IDPA competitor and safety officer, I see a lot of chokes. The ones that choke are typically ones that have a lot of aftermarket crap on them.

Last edited:
When it comes to Glocks, quite often such "enhancements" have to primary effects:

1) They reduce reliability.
2) The lighten the purchaser's wallet.

1) "reliability" is a debatable term. Eg., Ive heard of stock Glock sights breaking off quite easily and requiring replacement.
2) ALL enhancements lighten the purchaser's wallet.

As previously stated, "enhancements" make a base gun better suited for certain applications. You certainly do not see KC Eusebio rolling around the ground with his stock Glock...

1) "reliability" is a debatable term. Eg., Ive heard of stock Glock sights breaking off quite easily and requiring replacement.
2) ALL enhancements lighten the purchaser's wallet.

As previously stated, "enhancements" make a base gun better suited for certain applications. You certainly do not see KC Eusebio rolling around the ground with his stock Glock...

[rolleyes]

1) Reliability in my mind is does the gun go bang when you pull the trigger. I've watched lots of Glocks puke during matches. The ones that puke the most are the ones that have been messed with the most.

2) Stock Glock sights suck, which is why I recommend replacing them. As for breaking them off, that would take some serious abusive behavior.

3) Give KC a stock Glock 26 and give me a $6,000 open gun and set us loose on a USPSA stage. I'm sure KC would beat me. It's the nut behind the trigger.

In my experience, the more aftermarket crap you put on a Glock the more likely it is to puke. Yes, I have a Ghost connector on my Glock 34 competition gun. But my carry Glocks have factory connectors. The only aftermarket products on my carry Glocks are the sights.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom